Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I do not own an electronic cutter or system. I was looking at Tim Holtz Video without the sound cause my head set went wonky but looked up Sizzix E-Clips and almost fell out of my chair. There is no way I could invest is something that costs nearly $600.00 for a full system!
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a sharp exacto knife and some patience. I would never be able to justify such a purchase. I would rather have the upgraded larger cutter for the grand Spellbinder items and think I could get more out of that kind of system, but even that is not on my list at this time...
My studio is a royal mess and I have to declutter. I have been packing in my projects to work on and that has not been working too well lately either but it was too cold out in the garage...
Lately I have been enjoying paperdolls and have looked at stamps that inspire me and have been trying to draw and design the paper dolls theme based on my inspiration....Hard to explain but I want to push myself even more this year as well.
Purge is a necessary term that I have to look at myself as well. Some of my stuff is verging excessive clutter.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Been real & been fun

Spidey dear

I have deliberately stayed awy from electronic cutter/systems because I know if they break/breakdown, the expense to repair/replace would be far too much for me to handle.

My Marvy lever punches I plan on eventually upgrading to Spellbinders because my punches are wearing out. Sure, I could sharpen them using tin foil but that never seems to last for very long. Plus, with Spellbinders, I can 'punch' pretty much anywhere whereas the Marvy's are quite limited.

The Royal Mess of the Studio seems to be an epidemic of certain proportions. Most of my mess is from lack of putting things away once I'm finished with them as well as being organized with having a place for everything.

I've already RAK'd some stuff this year. It feels good to share my studio's 'wealth' if you will. Use it up, wear it out, make due or give it out.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM
stampin stacy

When the mess and lack of organization stop the creative process cold, you know it is time to do something about it. I come up with ideas and then don't follow thru because I don't want to spend so much time hunting for the things I will need. Not good!!

I think I'm going to start a new thread, we need to get serious about this problem and I know we can support and help each other during the crazyness that will ensue.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Been real & been fun

Stacella! Go for it! I'm there!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 AM

Exactly! Picky & Frugal is the only way to be. I am sure some are reading this with their eyes bulging out going "Are they serious?" ROFL!

Yes, I am serious. ! I am too picky and drive everyone nuts. My DH is worse. You know the old adage of the ice cream stores and the 100 flavors. That's my DH. He bought cookies tonight and I just left him in the aisle since I knew it would take fifteen minutes. It did.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Been real & been fun

When pickiness prevails, it's at that time you realize what you REALLY want. Otherwise, it's just settling for second best.

I've found if I pick the middle of the road, not too expensive and not too cheap, I'm pretty happy in the long haul.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideycindy View Post
I do not own an electronic cutter or system. I was looking at Tim Holtz Video without the sound cause my head set went wonky but looked up Sizzix E-Clips and almost fell out of my chair. There is no way I could invest is something that costs nearly $600.00 for a full system!
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a sharp exacto knife and some patience. I would never be able to justify such a purchase. I would rather have the upgraded larger cutter for the grand Spellbinder items and think I could get more out of that kind of system, but even that is not on my list at this time...
I am a die cutting queen. I am not really happy about that title. It's a title I did earn, even if I don't like it. Name a die cutter and I can run down the pro's and con's by memory. Your right the E-clips is $600 retail with fully system. That does not include cartridges, SCAL, extra mats, & blades. Now add Tim H's stamps to it. I am not trying to be pessimistic about that cutter. She's a pretty cutter. Plus, I would be the biggest hypocrite in the world too. I am a Cricut user with a Gypsy, 100+ cartridges, several Cricut machines, including the Imagine. I have a Gazelle. I am about ready to retire that machine and get a different one.

I have several machines because my DH repairs them. He's always ripping out the guts and rebuilding machines. I would not own an electronic machine if my DH & I couldn't fix them. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Really I only own the Imagine and Gazelle currently.

With all that said. ! I love my Xacto Knife. Love it to pieces. I love papercutting. It's really not uncommon to see my machines cutting out images and I am cutting out images. Sometimes I just feel like saying "Who cares!" any more about electronic die cutting, lol. There are things that have become important to me with those systems.

I told my DH I need to get in our storage shed this weekend in our garage. I need to yank out all my craft items, go through them and put what I want to swap and sell. Start doing that. I told my DH it's time to get rid of those cutter's and buy more car items for him. He's very much agreement with this, lol. That's my resolution for the month of February.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM

thanks girl for telling the truth about the electronic cutters and die cutting machines..i almost bought one a few yrs ago..so glad i didn't now..i have a few friends that bought the electronic cutters and embossing machines..they are always breaking.. they have spent so much money on them things..they could have bought many of the manual ones..just last month one friend who bought the electronic big shot..its an embossing/cutter/ die machine..and its broke again..she is so mad..none of my friends will ever buy another..its a great thing when it works right..for folks that cant turn the handle..but the big shots / cuttlebugs are easy to turn. they always have me bring my manual one when we are away from an outlet...thats so nice..it will work anywhere..no electicity
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM

now what i want to know is about the grande spellbinder cutter thing stacy was talking about..what is it and how does it work..is that the one that looks red and like a cuttlebug ??
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Inky the Muse

One of my downlines worked on her prep for an upcoming stamp camp when the power was out using her manual Big Shot. While storage for the thick Sizzix dies can be a challenge, I like that they can cut so many different materials that the thin dies (Sizzlits, Cuttlebug, Spellbinder's etc) & e-cutters can't.