Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
COSRobin

Default Best Adhesive

Hey all!

I was wondering what kind of adhesive you use to adhere layers of paper and embellishments on your rubber stamped projects? I was using tape flags, but was finding that the layers and coming back apart sometimes. I've tried a few of the tape runners, but have been a bit unhappy with then jamming and gumming up. I don't want to use liquid glue as that buckles that paper.

Recommendations? Suggestions?
Thanks!
Robin B.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 PM

I believe you could call me an adhesive addict I have two drawers filled with various alternatives.

What I use all depends....for most paper layers, sometimes I use Scotch brand double stick tape, sometimes I use Stampo's double-stick tape (I bought the sampler pack ), sometimes I use red-liner double stick tape, in that order, depending on the strength of the bond I anticipate needing. For embellishments, it again depends, sometimes glue dots, sometimes acrylic medium, sometimes this "Artsy Decoupage and Collage" gel adhesive, and so on and so forth.

I am betting you are going to get a plethora of answers to this question!

Debra
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
StamPoor

Hi Robin... and welcome! I also use a variety of adhesives depending on the situation. For layering, if the paper or card stock is not too heavy or textured, I use a glue stick but BURNISH it really, really well. Since I only make cards that I generally send out within a few months of creating them, I'm not looking for something that will stick for years and years although I have a few cards that I made several years ago using the glue stick, and they are still stuck. I love the tape runners for slightly heavier paper and CS and have had success with many brands. For heavier and textured layers, I use Scotch double stick or red line tape. I use glue dots for most embellishments, but in some situations I use a dimensional glue like Diamond Glaze or similar product. And, of course, there is the foam tape or pop dots that are adhesive but also give dimension. As you can see by my answer and Debra's, there probably is no one answer; the nature of the materials and the project as well as your climate, perhaps, will dictate which adhesive is best.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Smile glue

For most things I use a regular Pritt glue stick and sometimes the doublesided glue minis sold for 3D and from the time DD was into crafts some pink liquid glue also from Pritt.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

The postal machines are so hot that usually glu-sticked layers arrive in pieces... Miracle Tape will work for everything and never come apart... just sayin'...
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Been real & been fun

My favorites are Tombow Mono Adhesive for gluing cardstock to cardstock in a single layer, 3M double sided sticky foam for doing 3D and an adhesive that comes with red backing on a roll that I do not know the name of, but is great for adhering cardstock that has been crinkled after getting it wet.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 AM

I have tried everything and the best one I have found so far is Beacon's Zip Dry paper glue, it holds great even in sub zero temps and cleans off easily with that rubber eraser thing and doesn't wrinkle paper. Terrifically Tacky tape is the one other thing I use - with just about the the same results, the only difference is that the zip dry lasts a longer. Mod Podge is another one I would recommend but you have to go easy with it.

I don't do it but agree that if you have a brayer you can dedicate - burnishing does help a lot.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
StamPoor

Oops... maybe I used the wrong term when I said "burnish." I use a bone folder or its equivalent, not a brayer.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 AM

I use scotch double stick tape for most of my cards and it works well 99% of the time. When I need something even stickier I use either miraccle tape (from Viva Las Vegas Stamps) or that red line tape. I do use alot of foam mounting tape as well.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
Oops... maybe I used the wrong term when I said "burnish." I use a bone folder or its equivalent, not a brayer.
no you are correct - I used to do paste up and layout for a newspaper and we used a brayer to burnish the pages. A bone folder works just fine but I am pretty rough with one and leave scratch marks on things with them (even a Popsicle stick will leave ridges in my paper when I am done lol). so I use a brayer to keep my paper from getting scarred and it covers a larger area for those who can be impatient ;-)