Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM

Wouldn't the edges where the Washi sticks out be sticky?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Been real & been fun

With true washi tape, it sounds repositionable so it doesn't seem like it would matter. With homemade washi tape, it would most likely be sticky.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 AM

I guess you could dust it with baby powder and get rid of most of that.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM

its not sticky a lot...i sent it on packages last month and some of the atc artist were able to peel it off and re-use it for some of their art items...the stuff is just for art...it wont hold anything like real tape...its a very thin tape made out of paper..so far i have seen 3 sizes only....the 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch and i got one roll of 1 inch wide tape with birds and some of old stamps like the ones we all collected as kids
Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM

i will send you some fab...then you can try it out
and by the way...i loved those watercolors on the paper...how cool they were..i am still having fun with them
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Been real & been fun

Thank you for that info, Joannie! I was wondering how sticky it really was. Now I know.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Inky, see if you can scan something you did with the watercolors and post it here or somewhere.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 AM

Stampo- I like your acryonym of DP better, lol.

I am huge into Kawaii. I own a lot of Kawaii crafting supplies. I got into Kawaii in the 80's when I was a pre-teen. One of the big Kawaii items back then was Washi tape. It really has never gone out of style in the Kawaii world. When it hit the scrapbooking scene as a trend last year my eyes bulged out when everyone acted like it was the new thing that was never made before, lol. I have been using Washi & Deco tapes since the 80's. Back then it was hard to find. I had to order it from Japan or buy it in specialty Asian stores or high end stationery stores. I don't think it really hit the USA market until early 2000.

I am very picky about my washi and deco tapes. I really don't like the designs that are made for the crafting world. I actually think the tape is cheaply made. The washi tape I own comes from Japan. I will be honest some of it cost me a lot but it's used for personal projects or my Kawaii art. Sadly in the Kawaii world if it comes out you better get it that day or it's gone. Everything in the Kawaii culture is limited made.

I mentioned deco tape up above. I had heard the terms interchangeably. Deco Tape is plastic tape. Washi is origami or rice paper.

I also make my own washi tapes. I have been making my own washi tapes for years and years. I use rice paper. I have used masking tape and other things but it's not really washi tape but it does work. I have even called it "Washi tape" even though I know the difference. I know in the crafting world terms become one like Washi tape is any type of fabric tape. I really do understand the interchangeable terms. Kawaii fans Washi is rice paper tape.

I use Washi tape on my cards, ATC's, inchies. I use it in altered art. I have covered cute boxes with it. I have used it for decoden.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
stampin stacy

So the stuff I bought on clearance is really deco tape, even though it was packaged as washi tape, figures. That is of my major pet peaves about the crafting world how "we" think "we" discovered and invented everything and have the right to rename everything.

and don't even get me started on the babyish names that are used for some techniques/products...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampo View Post
And hopefully, not forgetting.
If you do forget it, you can call it new when you learn it again.