Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM
stampin stacy

I cleaned a very large pile of stamps yesterday (finally ) and that extra large toothbrush worked great, I just love that thing!!

I may have to pick up another one for tile grout but that would mean actually doing some housework - nah never mind.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
StamPoor

I agree with Stacy... I know the stamps I allow others to play with are likely to get ink on the wood, etc. and I have learned to live with that. But I was really upset (I'm over it now) when a friend inked the wooden INDEX side of my stamp. It is apparently permanently pink. Sigh.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Inky the Muse

Now THAT'S annoying!!! Perminent ink? <sigh> Just about anything that would take the ink off would most likely remove the indexing too.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Ahhhh... to have the time to varnish all my stamps. LOL
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 PM
StamPoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
Now THAT'S annoying!!! Perminent ink? <sigh> Just about anything that would take the ink off would most likely remove the indexing too.
Yeah, I got it to lighten up somewhat from red to pink, but I didn't want to mess up the indexing. It happened a couple of years ago, so I've learned to live with it and it was a seasonal stamp that I don't use that much, so I guess it could have been worse.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Inky the Muse

Hey, Igrid! We both have a stamp that looks like somebody used it to commit mayhem with!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
But I was really upset (I'm over it now) when a friend inked the wooden INDEX side of my stamp. It is apparently permanently pink. Sigh.
That must be some friend, for the friendship to have survived that. Do you let her play with your stamps still???
Old 12-14-2008, 10:04 AM

I finally decided that inky stamps are the price of group fun. I used to work alone in my laundry room and the stamps always looked like new. Now I live in a Sun City community and we do work in a club room. I have tried to teach folks to ink only the printing surface but some never learn. So now some of the stamps I share are wood stained but I also have more friends.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM

I guess the ladies in my area are a little more fussy as to the status of their stamps. We've loaned out, borrowed, consigned or traded stamps and I've only had a small few that have needed a little more love than normal to clear the rubber of any gunky ink. I did have one stamp that was a consignment stamp that someone had used acrylic gold paint on & NEVER cleaned. It took a good soaking of the rubber & a toothbrush to clear that one out but it was well worth the effort. Too bad that the previous owner had used the acrylic gold paint to stamp with. I know it lost all it's fine details on their project.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
stmpstone

It was really hard for me but I think I'm finally starting to think of my stamps as tools. It's really hard to hurt the rubber, just don't let it dry and crack. The wood that has the most ink spots is probably the one that is the most loved.

I sold some stamps on e-bay a few years back. One lady said the one she bought was for a gift. It's amazing what you can clean off the wood with an emory board. I even took my sander and removed my name that I used to stamp on all my stamps. When the stamp left here it looked new.

I appreciate everybody posting their comments.

My favorite stamp cleaner is Awesome. You buy the yellow all purpose Awesome at the Dollar stores. I think here we have the Dollar Tree and 99 cent only store that sells it. I'm sure it's in every city. it comes in a spray bottle and I've been using it for a number of years now and all my stamps are fine. The bottle says...."if it's safe in water then it's safe in Awesome." This is my first choice. If it's a permanent ink then I use solvent cleaner. Judi-kins is my solvent cleaner of choice. I have some Staz On cleaner but I think the Judi-kins is better.

I'm hearing different cleaners on this thread. I can imagine the baby shampoo would be very safe.
Claudia

Claudia