Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Voracious Reader

Default Ribbon storage

My ribbon drawer is a tangled mess, and no matter how many times I straighten it out, it doesn't take long for chaos to resume. Does anyone have a ribbon/trim/lace storage solution they'd like to share? If so, I'm all ears...er...eyes!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
marstamper

I keep mine on spools, or pin them so they don't make such a mess. Then, I keep them in a basket. I'd love other suggestions for their storage, too.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM

My ribbon storage issue is ongoing..at this time I have my ribbons on the original spool (unless there is only a few yards left, then I wrap the remaining on strips of chipboard). They are stored by color in those photo storage boxes (about the size of a large shoe box), with the color indicated on the outside - a box for blues, greens, etc. I've found this to work for me since I was always looking for a particular color. For ribbons that are multi color I sort them by what the primary color is on the ribbon then put them in the approrprate box.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 11-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Oriental Trading orientaltrading.com is an online source for many things including a lazy susan type ribbon organizer not too expensive they also have a wall mounted deal. If you go to their site and search ribbon organizer you should find it.
I have one and still have to pin my ribbon so it does not unravel...I have more ribbon than I have stuck on a dowel on a iron bakers rack book case hung down with shower curtain hooks the old metal kind. Not pretty but I can see what I have...lol
Spidey
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Voracious Reader

Most of my cloth ribbons are a yard or so and not on spools, so unless I buy blank spools, most of the dowel-type holders aren't practical for me.

I do like the look of clips with hooks. I have an over-the-door rack with 10 hooks in a row. With those clips, I could hang the ribbon in color families, and just use my drawer for the decorative trim that might be too delicate to hang.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Inky the Muse

Snack sized zip bags save my sanity when it comes to off-the-spool ribbon/fiber storage! Clear, cheap & an easy size to store in boxes, binders, bins or hang from clips/hooks. If a fiber comes on a spool or cardboard I leave it there until its too short & then it goes in a baggie with similar ribbon scraps. Most of my ribbons are in video storage boxes that I divided into Brights, Earths, Jewels, Pastels, Neutrals/metallics. Spools are placed end to end across the width of the box so I can see what they are, the cardboard & baggies are on top. For specialty ribbons, i.e. wide fabric ribbons for specific holidays & occasions, I use the large Danish cookie tins. I can fit up to 7 stacks of spools inside & everything stays clean, dry & dust free until I'm ready to use them. They stack neatly in a corner of my craft closet.

For my current SU! ribbons I use the Ribbon Keepers SU! sells. If you don't have a ton of spools or like to keep your favorite/most used ribbons handy on your desk top, these are pretty nifty to have & are reasonably priced. The come in 3 sizes & you get 2 of the same size per package. They're made of a durable frosted plastic that snaps together & can be stacked with the other sizes to form a lil ribbon tower. You can see them on pg 203 of the current catalog or you can view them online at my website or at the main SU! site.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM

I have very few spools of ribbon so I go with the see-thru storage zipped bags. I have some wrapped on chipboard that were part of a long ago ribbon swap. Most of my ribbon fits in one large plastic container; it's overflowing right now but that will probably change by the time I get through trimming tags and cards for the craft fair!

I may have just designed myself into a corner. . .one of my paint chip inspirations I'm not sure I have ribbon for. . .actually I may be able to dye some of my white silk ribbon with my copics and use some silver cording, too! Is anyone else doing less colored ribbon and dyeing instead? Since I've been moving in this direction I've not been stuck with ribbon that doesn't work with my cards.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM

when i was sorting out one of my supplies cupboards i decided to get donate a box of cotton floss to the sewing circle at one of the local churches. I gave them the whole flat plastic box (lidded fishing tackle type) full of cardboard bobbins wrapped in the floss. I was surprised when the ladies returned the emptied box to me but since i was still going through the cupboard and was working on my tangle of ribbons i decided it was a serendiptious event. I've since wrapped all of the shorter peices of the narrow-ish ribbons (about an inch wide or less) around the bobbins, secured with a silk pin and now i have a whole case of clean easy to see and use ribbons. For the broad ribbons or the long long peices i use small zip bags with a reinforced 1/4 inch hole and collect them on bigger binder rings by color.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
stmpstone

Not all my ribbons are neatly organized. I have two of the ribbon boxes that came with my Collector's Cabinets and those are the most organized. I have some in plastic boxes that hold the big spools of grosgrain ribbons.

I think the best idea is not one that I used and that was to get a piece of rain gutter and put it over the door and fill it with the ribbon spools with the ends hanging down.

Someday, maybe I'll get it all organized again.
hugs, Claudia
Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Inky the Muse

Yes! Most white or off white ribbons & yarns can be custom dyed. You have several ways you can easily do it.

Both alcohol & solvent ink pens work well, are color fast once dry & you have many colors to choose from. This way is good for smaller pieces when you only have a few cards to do.

Dye ink refills work too. A small lidded tupperware like box or bowl, distilled water, dye ink refill in your choice of color to match your project & a few drops of white vinegar to make the dye colorfast.

Regular fabric dyes will also work, just follow the directions on the bottle/box.

Both of the dying methods are good if you need a lot of ribbon in a specific color.

Paper towels or cloth rags, rubber gloves & a rag/towel wrapped bar or drying rack with more rags underneath to dry the ribbon on are useful for all 3 methods listed. I'm sure there are other ways to dye ribbon, but I've done these & know they work.