Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Voracious Reader

Default Ribbon Storage Solved!

Last year I had asked for advice on how to store ribbons. I had a large plastic drawer full of 1-yard ribbon pieces from Paula Montgomery's kit club, and they were always in a tangle no matter how often I organized them. Many of our members responded with some good ideas, and I finally came up with a workable solution for me.

I decided to go with using small (3" x 4") reclosable plastic bags, which worked well for the wider ribbons (1st image below). I just wrapped them around my hands and slid them into the bags. However, the problem with the narrow ribbons is they wouldn't lie flat in the bags but instead turned on their sides.

I was going to leave them that way, but it made the colors harder to view. I then realized that I had the perfect solution - my Circa desktop punch. I've used the Circa system, sold by Levenger, for my notebooks and agendas for a couple of years now because it lets me move pages around and add my own custom touches. The punch, instead of making holes, makes notches, which I realized would be perfect for securing those wayward ribbons on cardstock. I just cut a 3" x 5" index card in half, punched both sides, and, with a small piece of Washi paper tape on the back to secure the ribbon, I had my solution (2nd image).
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM

What a wonderful solution, Lady Kestral! TFS
Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Very nice Love the card solution for the thinner ribbons, it makes it much less bulky too.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
stampin stacy

Great idea, they would be easy to organize that way too. Didn't/doesn't someone make a roledex punch? hmmmm......
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Voracious Reader

A Zutter punch for binding would work well with this method, too, because the holes are closer together than a regular punch. I'm thinking that even a hand held circle punch could be used.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Oh this is a great idea!

I've been trying to figure out a good way to organize the ribbons I have taking up space in a drawer of my art desk. I was thinking of hanging the cardboard spools, but I really didn't want to go that route. Those spools are incredibly deceptive - hard to tell just how much you have left. And it didn't answer the problems of the loose ribbons and fibers I have from swaps and that I've gotten in kits. Your solution is brilliant and simple to do. Now to find a way to make notches in my cards for holding the loose ribbons. I know I've got at least one hole punch around here, and at least one decorative punch that has a straight line as part of the punch.

This will help free up much needed space and give me use of that drawer again. And it will help me achieve my goal of getting my much neglected art desk usable again!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Really great idea! I'd have a problem with Pieces wanting to attack the ribbon as I organize it though. . .she does love ribbon, twine, anything that moves.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Voracious Reader

Pieces would have had a great time here this week, Karen. At first I had ribbons draped over everything when I was sorting, but then I thought of using plastic hangers to arrange them, which worked much better.

By the way, I used some larger pieces of sturdy cardboard instead of index cards for my heavy textured pieces of trim and didn't bother to make notches. It worked just fine with a spot of tape, and I just slipped them into quart-size reclosable bags.

Laura,
I had tried cardboard tubes, but they're clunkier than I wanted, and the paper tape I used to fasten the ends kept coming undone.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM

good gosh....i would love to walk around in you guys art rooms...i have hardly no ribbon....ugh, i hate being poor..lol..i have to even get my cloth that i sew with from mostly old sheets and shirts..i walked into JoAnn's craft store the other day...and i thought i was gonna get a yard of cloth....but nope...the color i needed was 9.99 cents a yard...ten bucks isn't much for some folks...but alone and disabled...and it hurts ya..thats 2 gallons of gas or kerosene for me..but also i went to the ribbon section...ohhhhh god, they were all so pretty and some i would almost die for...so beautiful the ribbons were, so i can see how one could get into saving them for projects, both in cloth and paper crafting
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM

That's a great idea!! Would be good when posting ribbons too.