Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Been real & been fun

Default Sealing Wax

Twenty years ago, when I was sending out our wedding invites, my husband and I thought it would be a nice touch to put a wax seal on our invite envelopes.

Not much information was available at that time, so we unwittingly used candle wax and a heart on a tool used for tooling leather. Candle wax is not only brittle but has an oily substance to it. Our seals broke and left an oily residue.

More recently, I became friends with a lady who had purchased sealing wax but could only find red. I shared with her that there has to be a way for one to make their own sealing wax as they did back in the day. Plus, I truly believe sealing an envelope with ATCs or any other stamped material will just add an element of wonderment to my work.

Funny how the mind works. Today, I just 'realized' I should call my niece who attends renaissance festivals. I was so glad I called her because she knows a number of people who will be able to instruct me on making sealing wax. It's not as easy as it sounds. But hang around, stalk as you desire and we shall see what we shall see.

In the meantime, you may want to check out this site.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
More recently, I became friends with a lady who had purchased sealing wax but could only find red. .
The local 'true' stationery shop has other colors available. I picked up gold, silver & hunter green. They had navy, dove gray, black & others. You might check your local 'true' stationery shop [office depot, office max & staples don't count]. Check your phone book for a 'true' stationery shop, they are out there & can usually do a special order if needed. HTH
~C8>
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM

all light colored waxes if melted can be colored..just mix in some pearl- ex pigment powders..and i have sealed mine with the pearl-ex varnish
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Been real & been fun

Jo, thank you for the info on Pearl Ex. I have some my sis sent to me so when I make my own I'll be able to have even more fun.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Inky the Muse

You can also create embossed seals using colored hot glue! I cut a 1/4" chunk off the glue stix, lay it out on a teflon sheet, ink up the stamp I want to use with Versamark Watermark ink (the ink works as a release agent for the rubber, but needs to be reapplied for each seal) then use my heat tool to melt the glue. Once the glue has melted into a puddle, I stop heating it & by the time I sent my tool down & pick up the stamp, the glue has cooled to about the right consistancy to press the stamp into it. I leave the stamp until the glue has cooled (less than a minute) then pull it out of the finished seal. I use the larger, flat glue dots to adhere them any where I want. You can make up a bunch at once to have for future use too.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM

thanks inky..that a cool idea..i saw it done one time in a class on line, but i dont know if they used versamark..so glad to know that works like a releasing agent.. i never tried it..i forgot about it...so glad you told us
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Been real & been fun

Inky, that's a good idea but I really, really want to make the sealing wax, melt it over a candle and impress it with a signet of some sort. Call me stubborn and you know you got that right. Perhaps I should change my screen name to TheStubbornStamper.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Inky the Muse

Nah! You're just being you AQ. If you stopped being you, who would you be? Nobody we'd recognize, that's for sure!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Inky the Muse

I think Impress in Tukwilla sells sealing wax & metal signets (not rings, but more than just a stamp) to emboss the wax with. At least they used to.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Been real & been fun

They still do, but still: too expensive. Again: AQism