Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Default melted wax backgrounds

Here is my attempt at the melted wax technique. I don't think I buffed off all the wax. I need to get a feel for where to put colors, and not be afraid of "white" space. I had a box of 16 sargeant-brand crayons, and my first backgrounds turned out very dark. I guess I'll have to get the box of 64 crayola crayons, like you have, Theresa. The stamp is from OnyxXpressions. Thanks for sharing this great technique, Theresa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg craupm.jpg (27.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Stamp Hoarder

That turned out awesome!!!

Get the box of 94...that's what I have and it's got some great colors that aren't in the 64! (um, 94 or 96 something like that. it's in the 90's. LOL)
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks, Theresa.
The box of 90+ crayons it will be then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresagram View Post
That turned out awesome!!!

Get the box of 94...that's what I have and it's got some great colors that aren't in the 64! (um, 94 or 96 something like that. it's in the 90's. LOL)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:29 PM
wolfeyesone

Nice Image/card Deb ! .... ok T I played around alot with this technique and I must admit had trouble getting my images to take to the waxed card, maybe I'm using the wrong ink....what are you two using? I've tryed a few different ones and I started to get frustrated because I would create these cool crayon combo's only to have the actual stamping ( ink not taking) ruin them I've gotton as much of the wax off that is possible, so I don't think thats it.. any suggestions? I did use a piece of waxed card stock for an inchie which came out " ok " The image came out clearer then the rest...
That being said.. I switched gears and tinkered with adding pearlescent acrylic paint to a few pieces of card stock, then melting the crayons on top. I was very happy with the results, did not want to mess it up by stamping on it so I opted to use it as a border for a card I made for my daughter. I will definatly keep playing around with this technique but I think I'll wait till I hear back from you....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crayon2.jpg (39.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg owlinchie.jpg (40.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi Wolfeyesone,

I really like how your owl inchie turned out! What ink did you use?

And it sounds like you came up with a variation of the melted wax technique: pearlescent paints on cardstock, with melted wax on top. Very cool, and pretty card.

Theresa, what ink are you using?

I used Ranger's archival, but didn't get a great impression of the eagle (especially on the lower wing, near the word "of". I figured I didn't buff it well enough). I quickly embossed with clear ep -- didn't want the shiney look, but it made the black darker. I figured next time I'd use StazOn? I know what you mean, Wolfeyesone! I have some pretty melted wax art that I don't want to ruin. I also may just use it as a background layer???
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Another thought -- what if we stamped first, then laid the color on, then buffed off. Would that work, Theresa????
Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Nice cards wolfey! And that's neat that you played around with the pearls. That looks really cool.

Ok, first I get as much wax off as I possibly can. Sometimes that means using several scraps of paper and ironing, wiping, ironing, wiping, etc.

Then I stamp with Ranger's archival...very carefully, it's still a little like stamping on glossy paper or acetate. Then the card has to dry for a long time. Sorry I don't think I mentioned that. My bad. But since the paper is still a little glossy there's going to be some drying time. I usually leave mine for several hours, if not overnight.

I supposed you could try heat setting it by just hitting it with your heat gun. Not sure that would work or not. I prefer to just lay mine and leave them alone so I don't mess them up.

I do know that inks like Distress Ink do not do well with this technique. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Stamp Hoarder

I've never tried stamping and then doing the wax melting. That might work if you used Archival or Stazon. I would think you'd want you ink to dry for awhile with that too. But it would be fun to try.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Wolfey, another thing you could do...depending on your image. You could stamp your image, cut it out and attach it to the card with the wax background. Like cut out the cat and stick it on.

I know some people hate cutting out stuff, but I'm forever cutting out stuff to stick it on something.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Experiment: I stamped the fish with Rangers archival ink on white cardstock, heat-set it, then did the melted wax technique. This is still a process I'm working out -- not ready for prime time. I added blue at the outside edges and didn't care for it, so ripped off what I could. I did leave a smidgeon of white, which became the only true yellow (I think). Fish from OnyxXpressions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melted-wax-fish.jpg (38.7 KB, 37 views)