Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
catiekk

I've also found that I can rub off the excess adhesive using an adhesive eraser & save my thumb. The other thing that works is an electric eraser (used for drafting); works great and again saves that thumb!

catiekk
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Been real & been fun

What's an adhesive eraser?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
catiekk

A quick google search brought up lots of links; here is one that shows a picture:

http://www.scrap-masters.com/adhesiv...--p-11670.html

ck
Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Been real & been fun

Sounds less messy than Goo Gone. I wonder if a regular eraser will work...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM

The advantage of having an adhesive eraser is that you can use it (carefully - use a rolling action rather than a rubbing one and lift off the adhesive) on photos and cardstock.

How did you go using the ordinary eraser on the stamps, Roberta?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Been real & been fun

Well, it's gonna take some work using a regular eraser. I might just leave them the way they are as I have two sets of acrylic blocks. One set of blocks I'll dedicate to the red and gray rubber dies and the other set I'll devote to my acrylic stamps.

Even though an adhesive eraser is relatively inexpensive, I just don't have it to spend. So, I'll make due with what I have until I'm able to buy the adhesive eraser. I'm thinking I'm just making more work for myself than what is necessary by trying to remove the existing adhesive.

I do appreciate all the help and the advice, too.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Inky the Muse

If the adhesive is in a fairly thin & even layer, go ahead & stick it to the ez mount or whatever temporary mounting system you're changing over to. It shouldn't effect how the image stamps. If there are chunks of glue or foam in uneven patches on the rubber, you will want to clean those areas as they will affect how your image stamps.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Tinnalee

I would love to change over from wood blocks to EZ mount on all my stamps, but I have THOUSANDS of wood-block stamps (mostly Stampin' Up). I figure I would spend HUNDREDS of dollars in EZ mount to convert everything. How many stamps are y'all converting?

Also, once converted, are you storing them in binders, in VHS boxes, or what?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Been real & been fun

Inky
I've not had the problem with uneven patches of foam as long as the foam is very flat. My image comes out just fine.

Tinnalee
I'm not going to EZ mount. I use Aleene's Tack & Tack to apply to the back of my stamps that came unmounted. For the ones that I am unmounting myself, and most of them are from Stampin' Up, I'm just leaving the adhesive. When I want to use them, I apply them to an acrylic block.

I've two sets of acrylic blocks. One set is dedicated to acrylic stamps and the other to the UM stamps. I still keep a few mounted stamps only because it would be too difficult to unmount them, particularly my chicken wire stamp, etc.

As far as what I put my UMs in, I use the acrylic CD cases. I can use both the left and right of the inner sides. It works rather well. The other thing that I've done is that I've taken the indexing from the SU stamps and applied it directly to the back of the UM die. Then I apply Aleene's Tack & Tack.

Before I realized I could do this, I had banished a bunch of my blocks to the garbage. C'est la vie!

So the UM without indexing just stay as they are and will go into CD cases.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Inky the Muse

I have a big collection too , but I was running out of room to store all those wood mounted stamps! I started with the largest stamps, i.e. 4.5x6" backgrounds & other images in that size range. That freed up tons of room right away! When I started running out of room again, I worked my way thru' the med-large stamps to the medium size tho the med-smalls. After a few years I had unmounted most of my non-SU! stamps & I still have room for more and I haven't added any drawers or shelves. I don't unmount any image that's under one inch or is on red foam. (the red foam & the adhesive used with it, is highly resistant to letting go of the rubber & the odds of damaging the stamp are rather high)

I don't unmount my SU! 'cause they have a better resale value if they're mounted with the original indexing even if they've been well loved. This isn't much of an issue for customers, but as a demo I like to reserve the option of selling sets that I know I won't use again when they retire & I'd prefer to get a good price.

I went with HALOS (Hooked And Looped On Stamps) for my ums. I have a set of acrylic blocks with translucent hook tape on one side (I can use the other side for ez mount & clear stamps) & I put loop tape on the back of the rubber dies. I store my stamps in iris drawers by catagory & sub-divide them into zip bags in the drawers. I track everything in 4" D ring binders.