Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.
Default Make your own

I took my fine micro grater out and grated up some white styrofoam today and then started to experiment adding color to it with various inks...alcohol ink, india ink, liquid acrylic ink and drawing ink...even food coloring
Interesting results...once dry, I will play with and see if it works out. I did not want to invest in the product just now and thought I wonder if this works..
The Alcohol ink I used was wild plum, and I used some red pelican drawing ink and every product I used took the color very different. The lumier product was really beautiful if it carries over. Time will tell...
I will keep you posted. Sorry no pictures to show you yet. I was inspired to try after seeing a video today that used flower soft on a card.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Spideycindy

My project will not be soft as I used the hard foam stuff but it will be interesting to see if it works....the micro grater made it really fine...lol
Hmmm I wonder if I have any soft stuff that I can grate....lol
Off to seek and grate...lol
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM

I can't wait to see if it works. I love to make my own stuff.

My Blog
The Crafty Table
Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Spideycindy

Soft stuff does not grate so well...the hard stuff grates to softer stuff and the colors were wonderful and fun. I mixed up several of the pinky, plum, red stuff and it looks wonderful....Now I have to find a stamp with flowers and see what comes of it. Very interesting. Basically I had a styrafoam large sized easter egg and grated it up. Problem is static electricity. Not sure if anything can be done about that and I was tinting 50 cent sized piles of it and it was not hard. I kind of mushed it together between waxed paper and that worked for me. If I tried to spray stuff it flew obviously all over the place. Since I live miles and miles away from outlets this was the next best thing to ward off boredom....lol The lumiere influenced liquid acrylic took great color and the shimmer is really neat. I am very hopeful....My two mixes ended up being the pinky reds plums and the other mix was the yellow, black and white with some purple thrown in cause it was there next to the black and migrated...lol
Can't wait to see if it works....The glue to use is Aileens Tacky Glue the video said and I have some of that that I hope is not too old...
Spidey
Sure wish my camera functioned properly...neat colors...all very different.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Inky the Muse

I wonder if adding a tiny dusting of anti-static powder would help with fly away bits? I've added it to glitter & it helped keep the glitter from flying every where.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
StamPoor

And if you don't have anti-static powder on hand, you might try a pinch of baby powder or some such. I have used successfully used that on my cards before wet embossing them. Hmm... I'm wondering if bath powder would work? That could add a scent, too.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Spideycindy

Great ideas. The colors mixed were fabulas. I am encouraged to play but was not able today. I will do a card and try to show it off...maybe not a flower card but something that would work out. Lots of ideas flying in my pea brain. I am encouraged tho....neat stuff even if it is not flower soft...
Not that I have ever seen flower soft up close and personal. I may have to get some to check it out!
Spidey
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Spideycindy

Still playing with this stuff. Making it into a card I hope. I used the quirky color on part of it and I am not sure if it will show off it's potential. I was amused and patted myself on the back for making my own mess....lol
Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Hyde

Someone told me that that all you have to do is rub the two pieces of styrofoam together and it will grate itself to the texture you need....I have not tried it yet but I want to. If you have copic markers and purchase refills...think of the large array of colors you could have!!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Spideycindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Someone told me that that all you have to do is rub the two pieces of styrofoam together and it will grate itself to the texture you need....I have not tried it yet but I want to. If you have copic markers and purchase refills...think of the large array of colors you could have!!
I only have one item but may break it in 1/2 and try that. I do not have copic markers or inks but did play with alcohol inks and the colors were great. The project I am working on uses more bland colors but I have a collection of pinks/reds that were impressive. I think it will be worth more play time tho.
If you play let me know how it goes.