Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
bjames

Default glimmer mists

Does anyone know a recipe for making your own glimmer mist sprays using acrylic craft paints? I cannot locate glimmer mists at either acmoore or Michaels. I'm also interested in making my own masks or screens to be used while spraying?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM

You can make homemade glimmer mists with reinkers, food dye, Rit dye, alcohol inks or watercolor inks.

Take a spritzer bottle, fill 1/3 with Gum Arabic (available in art stores), add 1/3 water, a few drops of reinker or watercolor ink, and about 1/4 tsp. Pearl Ex. Shake well and you're ready to go. (P.S. Some Pearl Ex colors are coarser and will clog.)

If you can't find Gum Arabic, you can use the small travel bottles of hairspray as the base, add Pearl Ex and ink of your choice.

I have made homemade sprays with acrylic paint and water and it works fine, but I never added the Pearl Ex. I imagine it would work since you aren't using a lot of paint. If you make some, let us know how it works out.

BTW, you can get small spray bottles at WalMart for about .50.

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 05-02-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: alcohol inks, clog
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM

i also make my own glitter mist...i use dye inks and gum arabic and them put some pearl ex in and shake it from side to side instead of shaking up and down..that will stop up your spray bottle sometimes..depending on how much pearl ex you added..and also..micro pearl ex's will stop up the sprayers too..i tried 2 times last week, and both stopped up..but all the others worked great..have fun..if deb tells you of a recipe, save it..cause it will work..if it doesn't, she will let you know..she tries all of them before she post them..isn't she great.. I haven't tried the food dyes or rit dyes..thanks Deb Lovett
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Inky the Muse

I wonder how well Versamark Watermark ink would work as a binder for homemade glimmer mists? It works for holding dry mica powders on paper. It contains glycerin that acts as the binder in that application. Hmmmm....

Several years ago I made my own glimmer mist with Pearl Ex, rubbing alcohol & distilled water. It has to be shaken well before use, but that same spritz bottle still works & the mica stays put on paper.

P.S. I found both Tsukineko's Shimmer Spritz & Clearsnaps' Smooch Spritz at Monkey Love (a nifty stamp store in Seattle) & Paper Zone (in Tacoma). Impress (my LSS in Tukwila) had just the Shimmer Spritz (They don't carry Clearsnap products.). SU! now has 4 colors of the Smooch Spritz in the Summer mini. I haven't seen any brand of glimmer spritz in any of my local craft chains. So if you can't find it locally, there are on line options.

I used the Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz on a camp project Saturday & let me tell you ladies...LESS IS MORE! We were spritzing thru' a laser cut stencil (also from SU!) and 2-3 light mistings from 8-10 inches away worked much better than more spritzings close up. More than 2-3 spritzes tended to puddle the ink on top of the stencil & then it would run under & get bloppy. (Heavy misting also sucks up the ink. I went thru' 1/2 a tube just figuring out what worked best, but our 5 campers were able to do their projects with what was left in that tube.) Also, blotting the ink off the stencil with paper towels after 2 uses kept the ink from building up & running under. The effect was shadowy unless the light hit it just right, but it worked well for the cloud look I wanted. If you want a more opaque look, try Shimmer Paint applied with a sponge or dauber instead. The spritzes work better as a light overlay rather than as a solid color application.

Oh yeah! The tubes are reusable!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM

You are too fancy for me! Cheap hairspray and pearl ex or mica powder in a spritzer work for me. . .and, yes, less spritzing is better. No more puddles!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM

versamark..whimmm, thats something that I have'nt tried, never even thought of that..way to go..let me know if ya try it. i am wondering what that would look like.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 AM
shazsilverwolf

I have tried using mica powders in distilled water in spritzers, and it works fine. The mica powders were bought online, and are sold for adding to bath bombes, cosmetics etc. There are a vast range of colours, which you don't get in the ones intended for craft only use( and they're a heck of a lot cheaper too!) always a plus point.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Catherine Pooler

I make my own with rubbing alcohol and a couple drops of Stampin' Up Shimmer Paint.
You can see some examples on my blog if you'd like!

http://www.catherinepooler.com/2010/...ful-stamp-set/

I have more samples, so if you put Shimmer Mist in the search box in my sidebar, you'll see more.

Catherine