Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 AM
cindyb

Default What is the best stamp cleaner?

I've used a couple of brands but haven't found one that really gets the stain off the stamps when I use archival inkpads like those from Ranger. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM
stampin stacy

Cleaning right away is the real key if you want your stamps clean. I keep a piece of paper close by for stamping off and 2 trays for cleaning. One has cleaner on it and the other plain water for rinsing off the cleaner. All of this is sitting on a small hand towel that I can then place the stamp on until it dries.

I usually use diluted Simple Green (purchased at Walmart), when that doesn't work I then use Judikins stamp cleaner. It has condidioners in it as an extra bonus. I buy it when a stamp convention comes to town but one bottle can last me forever since the SG usually does the trick. If there is still ink on the stamp then I wouldn't worry about it. It is not going to affect your future projects.

BTW, found out recently that Simple Green comes in wipes too!!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
cindyb

Thanks Stacy. I used a cleaner from Rubber Stampede that worked really well but I think it's been discontinued because I can't find it anywhere.

I'll check for Simple Green next time I'm at Walmart. What ratio of cleaner to water do you use?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
stmpstone

I've been using the all purpose Awesome from most of the dollar stores.

If the stamp needs a solvent cleaner I use the one from Judikins.

I like my stamps clean and these do the trick for me. On the Awesome cleaner it says if it's safe in water it's save in Awesome. This is the yellow cleaner with the lable in red. I know they make other cleaners but this is the one I use for stamps. I was glad when somebody mentioned it on another group I was in.

I think everybody in my group that has used this cleaner here is now using it. It comes in a spray bottle and you get a big bottle for a dollar. If somebody drops an ink pad and naturally then land with the pad down on the floor just grabs the awesome and it comes right up. It cleans away some of old stains but if your stamps is really stained and a solvent cleaner won't clean it, then the stain is permanent and I just have to accept that. : )
Claudia
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM

well...for me..it all depends on the kind of ink i use..for all my DYE inks i use plain old window cleaner...windex or the cheaper dollar store brands of window cleaner in a spray bottle..it last for ever..I have used this method for the last 15 yrs..and all my stamps look great..never any damage...and for Pigment ink and Solvent inks like Stazon inks , I use the stazon solvent cleaner for both.
and it is true what everyone here has told you...you have to clean the stamps right away..but the pigment and solvent inks are the ones that will stain your stamps very badly..just take note of the inks you are using..if they are pigments or solvents..get them cleaned after you stamp them..that fast..you cant lay them down for 5 mins. and then try to get them clean..because they will stain..they are absorbed into the rubber for life..i have 2 in my stash..and they remind me every time i look at them..they were pigment inks..my kids used them and didn't clean them right away..but they are still usable..they are just ugly to look at...lol...lol

Last edited by inkkyjo; 07-31-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Baby wipes with no alcohol or lanolin... stamp on the box of wipes and then blot stamp... gets them clean enough for me and when the top wipe gets too dirty, toss it and a new one awaits.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
cindyb

Lots of good suggestions and thank you!

Like I said, what I was using is no longer available in the craft stores in my area and hard to find online too so I needed some suggestions since I just used the last of what I had in that brand.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM

I love my Stampin' Up! Scrub and their cleaning mist and Stazon cleaner.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM

I have found that if the stamp is somewhat stained [ usually consignment stamps], coat it with the StazOn cleaner, let it stand a few minutes then before rinsing, scrub the stamp face w8ith a toothbrush. Rinse well with H2O & maybe follow with a quick scrub with baby shampoo & a good rinse. Pat dry with a sacrificial towel & I find most of the ink is gone. I know they say no H2O but I like the price & even my older stamps look close to new. HTH
~C8>
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM

I recently was given some very dirty stamps that had been donated to a thrift shop. I used diluted Simple Green and put a very thin layer in a tray, put the stamps in rubber down so just the rubber was in it. After a few minutes I took them one at a time and scrubbed with an old toothbrush. I blotted the inky mess onto damp paper towels. Some had be done 3 & 4 times. A couple got finished off with a commercial stamp cleaner. Some are still a bit stained but all are clean enough to not pollute a fresh stamp pad or make a discolored impression if I use a pastel ink.

I never rinse under running water. A damp papertowel or old terry towels are fine for absorbing the moisure and cleaning mixtures.