Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
I'll check for Simple Green next time I'm at Walmart. What ratio of cleaner to water do you use?
I have a small spray bottle left over from commercial stamp cleaner (may have even been the Stampede brand you mentioned-is it bubble gum scented?) that I mix about 1/8 cleaner to 7/8 water, if that isn't getting something clean then I spritz the stamp full strength. It is super concentrated but very gentle so I don't "sweat" the proportions too much. It's not expensive and the first bottle I bought lasted me over 5 years so I didn't worry about wasting it.

I was going to try the Awesome that Claudia mentioned but already have the SG and it lasts forever so haven't yet. May have to try a bottle of it anyway, if I can remember next time I'm at the dollar store. I use the SG for general house cleaning sometimes anyway so it wouldn't go to waste.

Forgot to mention I find it in the Automotive dept, it is a popular cleaner for rubber tires evidently.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 AM
cindyb

Thanks Stacy. And everyone else too. Good information!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Stampscapes

That's what I like too --Simple Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
Cleaning right away is the real key if you want your stamps clean. I keep a piece of paper close by for stamping off and 2 trays for cleaning. One has cleaner on it and the other plain water for rinsing off the cleaner. All of this is sitting on a small hand towel that I can then place the stamp on until it dries.

I usually use diluted Simple Green (purchased at Walmart), when that doesn't work I then use Judikins stamp cleaner. It has condidioners in it as an extra bonus. I buy it when a stamp convention comes to town but one bottle can last me forever since the SG usually does the trick. If there is still ink on the stamp then I wouldn't worry about it. It is not going to affect your future projects.

BTW, found out recently that Simple Green comes in wipes too!!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Been real & been fun

I use just a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle of water when I want something with some real cleaning power to it but generally I use just water. Black ink doesn't always come off, but after cleaning it the way I do it doesn't affect future stampings. That's just the nature of some inks.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Some rubber seems to be more porus and holds onto stains more no matter what you do. Dye inks come off best but are not always the best for your project. If nothing is coming off on a wet paper towel, consider the rest a stain in the rubber. It won't hurt future use.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

I don't worry about stained rubber... just don't want it gunky... I think purple is impossible to get off.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 AM
stampin stacy

Metallic inks are the worst to me and they can clog up the stamp sometimes because the ink tends to be thicker, so be sure to clean stamps right away after using metallic inks.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 AM
stmpstone

With pigment inks I generally use the JudiKins solvent cleaner and an electric toothbrush to scrub out the crevices. It really doesn't need solvent cleaner but it's the stronger type and seems to just do the job.

The Memento black that I use for stamping images to color in Copic ink, I just use the Awesome Cleaner. If the black doesn't sit on the rubber, it seems to clean right off.

Claudia
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM

I guess the most important thing is not letting the inks sit too long on your stamps. It just makes the cleaning job tougher. I have gotten even old paint off of rubber but it was not quick or easy.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

That's why the baby wipes are good as they're right there and as soon I stamp, I hit the baby wipes... we do sell cleaners for different inks and even for polymer for those who think they need "professional" cleaners.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/