Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Beeswax Rubber Stamps

Default Christmas/Holiday cards * Handmade or bought?

Are you making your own Christmas cards this year or buying them? If you make them how many do you make? Do you hand stamp each and every one? How much time do you spend on each card?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Inky the Muse

I make my holiday cards. If I didn't DH would want to know what the heck I've been doing with all these stamps & supplies that I couldn't make x-mas cards. I usually do around 50 for my SU! customers & demo friends and then another dozen or so using non-SU! images for family & friends. I also make all our needed b-day cards too.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM

i make cards for my family, about 20 total. But they're more paper ornaments really. Some of them, family people, have extensive collections by now and always ask what i'm planning for the coming year. It's become a tradition. Sometimes someone will come and play/craft them with me, some times a few people show up. It's sort of a Christmas card making party. They don't nessessairly make the same card/ornament that i do, if nothing they are not crafter they will at least make gift tags.

I agree Inky, if one has a dedicated work space it is sort of strenously expected that one will make the usefull pretties.

For the extend family and friends i do sometimes buy cards, but i always feel like that's cheating..........
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM

I've made cards for the last two years. The first year was just fun, just playing. Last year I was shocked at what didn't sell at the church fair and got to pick and choose from the leftovers what we used for the family. How did cards of a Christmas Fairy not sell?

I did not go overboard on holiday cards for the craft fair this year, ran out of time to do them - work, work, work. I also decided to let folks pick what they want, need instead of trying to sell sets of 4, 8, etc. So I'm again free to play and have already designed several in my head, just need to get them on paper. I get bored so I'll be doing at least 4 designs if not more to get to my 40+ cards.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Default a little of each

It depends on the person really. For family & dear friends they get a annual letter prestamped with House Mouse stamps & preprinted, then hand colored.
For some extra special folks that arrives in a hand made card that is designed for each year. For friends who just do the card thing, a hand done card.
For coworkers, they get a stamped & tinted Solstice greetings card (to avoid any non-PC issues. You can't not celebrate Seasons.)
For people who live faraway and/or send general cards, they are helping clear up my remaining storebought cards until I no longer have any. And if I truely want to clear out my storebought cards I will give them to a local charity.
~C8>
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 AM

I recycle Christmas cards I have received from years past. I cut off the front and cut out the saying.

I make a new blank card from cardstock in a coordinating color (or just white). Then I adhere the front of the old card onto the new card. Sometimes I mat it or cut it out further (making squares or other shapes). I almost always add embellishments, ribbon, beads, and/or glitter.

I mat the saying and adhere that to the inside.

I also do this with cards I have received for other occasions.

I love to recycle - and it's a very fast and easy way to make a whole bunch of cards.

My Blog
The Crafty Table
Old 11-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I try to make cards as time permits...The spirit is willing the flesh is sometimes weak. I do make birthday and custom graduation cards and just because cards. What I get tired of doing is production work and then the joy goes out of it on a large scale. I have not found it to be too bad with the ATC's but sometimes art work is free form and trying to tame the beast is difficult.
I rather enjoyed my recent stroll with the ATC's and may design an ATC and incorporate into a greeting card not sure yet.
I have tried in the past to send out 50-ish but the numbers have dwindled down alot over the years...If I send out 25 that is alot for me.
I have been known to make my own envelopes as well so crazy time...
And yes once started it is expected every year no matter what I do/did.
Spideycindy
Oh and yes my own tags and wrapping paper too...at least embellished paper.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
stampin stacy

I make my card too, but I usually do the insides on the computer. I do try to make the cards different to a certain degree. I'll usually put together several different designs for the year and then pick and choose who gets which one. Such as Santa for those with kiddos in the house, religious for some and more artsy / pretty for others.

Helps with the need to feel like I'm being creative but also speeds things up some because I can still do production line stamping. This method is really great for those of us who are list people.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Audreyrose

I too make my own cards for all occassions. Everyone seems to love them and I enjoy making them. I try to get them done early so as not to feel stressed to get them done. Last year we moved to Mexico and it was very stressful to make cards and get them out so they would get to the US by Christmas.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Handmade cards

I *really* try to do many of Holiday cards (about 40), but some people get store bought. They are generally the ones who don't know how much I stamp!

What worries me this year, is that I don't have a concept yet. Usually, I know which stamps I'm going to use--and have started some of the pieces. Not this year. I am clueless.

joanofgos