Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 AM

Default Clear Stamp Help

I have been trying to get a nice, clear, crisp image from some clear stamps...to me they don't stamp all that well as compared to a real rubber stamp.
Any help on this would help? Do you clean yours first with something like soap and water?
Glad I don't own that many of them but the ones I do I want to use.......
Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 AM

I've stamped for years with clear stamps and they are a little different from rubber. First, there are two types of clear - cheap ones and not so cheap ones! The cheap ones will give you the most trouble because they are made with either silicone or an inferior grade of polymer.
I've found that by rubbing the stamps with a white eraser when you first get them, then make a few impressions with versamark to condition the stamps works well.
Not all inks are good with clear stamps. Stay away from Staz On. I've gotten good results with chalk inks, Palette, Ancient Page and Memento.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
StamPoor

In my experience, clear stamps work best with a lighter touch. Too much pressure results in a blurry image.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othar rubbar View Post
I have been trying to get a nice, clear, crisp image from some clear stamps...to me they don't stamp all that well as compared to a real rubber stamp.
Any help on this would help? Do you clean yours first with something like soap and water?
Part of the issue is that the moulds that they are made in have a release agent sprayed on them so the stamps pop out easily. This remains on the stamps so I give my new stamps a wipe down with a baby wipe to remove it while they are on the backing sheet. I've heard of the eraser method but if you have a sheet of them, I like the baby wipe.
The stamps themselves are also a much softer media so if you have a heavy hand when stamping it smonches them down & gives a sloppy stamp. Go light handed, give them a settling tap & you should have good results.
Do stay away from using Stazon. I have used it for some clear stamps but only the cheap $1 sets where I have bought 2 with the plan to destroy 1 with Stazon. Otherwise I like Versafine or Memento inks.
HTH ~C8>
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up Tips for clear stamps

Boy oh boy, the timing on this is impeccable! I just received an order of lots of goodies, including three sets of clear alphabets. (BTW, do any of you have any hunches on lottery numbers? Just think of all the stamping goodies I could buy with several million dollars!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM

If you stick with the advice here you should be all set.

I often condition my clear stamps by stamping them up with a chalk ink first because I hadn't thought of Versamark; Momento is my go to water-based ink for clear stamps.

Alsmouse' and StamPoor's advice on stamping technique is terrific; beware the smooshed clear stamp image. I'm glad there are two sides to paper! I also follow Xray Amy's scenic stamping suggestion - stamp multiple images so you can pick which one is best for your final product.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the valued info on these stamps, I will give it another "gentle" try........I have Ancient page ink pads so I hope that works. I also have that huge pad Tim Holtz uses, boy, isn't he the famed one at the moment! Ever catch his blog? That's the Archival pad, I just checked.
As for the lottery..........funny you mention that, I am a player. I don't win much though. I play in GA.
Thanks..........Othar
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
stmpstone

I think my heavy hand with stamping is my problem with clear stamps. Thanks for clearing that up. I've been given a few sets but have avoided buying them because I can't seem to make them work.

I love rubber stamps and I have to cut them really close or I pick up any uncut edge, they get inked and another card ruined or another chance for embellishing.

Claudia in Las Vegas
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
clarkpc456

I agree that a heavy hand can be a ig problem, but you do have to give even, all-over pressure or part of the image won't transfer.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
stampin stacy

I generally stick to red rubber but picked up an alphabet set really cheap a while back and they did not stamp well. The white eraser trick was a pain for so many little stamps (all letter and numbers plus some punctuations) but boy did it make a difference.