Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Stamp Hoarder

I use mostly my Prisma....I also have the 120 set. Love 'em! And I have Gamsol too. Love the look. Awesome. Before that I was just using the blending pencil...which I do still use...but gotta love the Gamsol. It took
me forever to find blending stumps though!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
I tried to find the information in Jenna's Gallery but was unable to find the right place...
The site needs some updating & it will get done. I had to go back to page 3 to find projects with directions attached & those were from before I learned how to do this. I can't find the link to the site inkieroo sent me to, but here's the Prismacolor link to their show & tell page:

http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/c...prodDemo.jhtml

They have several videos you can watch to learn about the artists, the products general and the markers & pencils in particular. The basic technique he uses for the pencils is the same with gamsol or other thinner. He just uses alcohol instead. Have fun!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:26 PM
StamPoor

Oooh Jenna, thanks for the information. I have Fantastix and alcohol on hand so I can start playing anytime and look for the Gamsol later.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
As per earlier conversations about this technique, I did try the Tsukineko brush tip Fantastix and they worked better than the stubbs. The points don't rub away like the stubbs, so there's no rubbing on sand paper before each session. They can't get into as small a space as the stubbs, but they were fine for everything else. BUT, I did notice that the stix warped a bit into a curve after I used them for this. I flushed them with water when I was done 'coloring' with them & when I went to put them away, they had curved. They're still usable and I will continue to use the set I dedicated to the technique. I just though you should know.
Could that curving have been caused by your warm hand & the 'pressure' that you used on the Fantastix? ~C8>
Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
Could that curving have been caused by your warm hand & the 'pressure' that you used on the Fantastix? ~C8>
Quite possibly, but I've used one set of fantastix with inks & paints for several years and they've never curved before. It was just the set I designated for gamsol that did that. I figure I didn't get all of the thinner washed out & that little bit left on the inside of the tube may have altered the foam causing it to contract. The tips are fine, so I'll keep using them.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Stamp Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenkatdesigns View Post
How do you like to color your stamps in?

I've just been introduced to Gamsol and pencils.. Oh my! I'm in love!! I love it so much, I just bought the 120 set of prisma pencils. I love the look it creates.

what about you? what do you like to color with?
I recently picked up a variety of Copics. They take some getting use to, but wow, they are fun.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Default watercolor pencils and H20s

if you like coloring you might want to try combining your watercolor pencils with the twinks. Color areas that you want to shade and/or highlight with with pencils then go over with the twinks. Makes for a great look.

The last couple of weeks I've really been practicing my coloring - using my dye ink to watercolor, colored pencils and watercolor pencils. I really want some Copics but can't afford them just yet, so I'll try perfecting the others!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Fliss

Oh! This takes me back years!..........Far too many to remember! When I met DH, I used to sit in our very first flat after our evening meal with my canvases and ask his advice regarding colours! (He was an Interior Decorator/Designer), Now nearing his 70's, is still in much demand....what he doesn't know is not worth talking about! He has and still is such an inspiration to me, thanks to him, all of my Oil Paintings, Watercolours and sketches have sold out. He also very much appreciates my colour choices in the home! How wicked is that? When I learnt it from him! Yeah! I am sooooooooooooooooo Lucky to have him and I hope it never ends.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
StampingSpud

For me, it depends on the look I'm going for.

My top pick would probably be my Copic Markers. Then with Prismacolor pencils, I do both the Gamsol technique and the color-layering technique a la Karen Lockhart. Then the twinkling H2Os and other watercolors. And then there's watercoloring with dye ink reinkers. Aaahh, the possibilities.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Jan40

I use and love Prisma pencils and Gamsol. I have only the small set of pencils but I am aboe to come up with most of the colors I want by blending. I have also tried KOH-I-NOOR pencils and I like them. I can buy them at a local store here. They are much less expensive than the Prisma's.