Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Been real & been fun

Birds of a feather flock together - the last time I went back to Daniel Smith Art Supply, I bought a dozen different Prismacolor pencils. I just couldn't glom onto using something else and thought you'd all like to know.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnarie View Post
I've heard about the microwave trick, but I've never tried it. Another suggestion I've heard is to heat your oven to about 170 degrees and shut it off. Then put the offending pencils in the oven and leave them there until everything cools to room temperature. Haven't tried that one either, though.
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I finally tried the microwave trick. A few hints;
1. Put an absorbent paper towel or paper plate under the pencils, they will melt a bit & you don't want to have to clean the micro afterwards.
2. Zap them in short bursts, 5-10 seconds at a time. If you do them too long, the glue holding the pencils can melt or the wood may expand & split the pencil lengthwise. I now have a long length of black lead to color with.
3. Let them cool for a while after zapping, the leads stay warm & melted for a bit longer than the wood outsides.
4. The heat of the micro will cause the outer coating of the pencils to bubble a bit if you get them too hot. It doesn't effect the leads but may make it a bit rough on the fingers if the bubbles don't cool right. If you have asbestos fingers you may want to try rolling the bubbles out but I haven't tried that yet.
Except for my black pencil I found this was a good way to save yourself the frustration of having your leads breaking a lot. HTH
~C8>

OOPS, forgot to tell you. leave the micro door open for a few minutes to air out or your next meal may have a faint pencil scent. LOL.~C8>

Last edited by alsmouse; 05-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Inky the Muse

I wonder if this works for chalk pencils. They don't appear to have much if any wax in them tho' it's worth a try with the short light blue one. It's shorter than the others due to frequent sharpenings cuz the 'lead' keeps breaking. I can color with a wobbly lead, at least until it falls out & rolls under something, but it sure would be nice to be able to fix that lil problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
stampin stacy

good question, I have no idea what they use as a binder, be sure to let us know if it works if you give it a try.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I finally tried the microwave trick. A few hints;
1. Put an absorbent paper towel or paper plate under the pencils, they will melt a bit & you don't want to have to clean the micro afterwards.
2. Zap them in short bursts, 5-10 seconds at a time. If you do them too long, the glue holding the pencils can melt or the wood may expand & split the pencil lengthwise. I now have a long length of black lead to color with.
3. Let them cool for a while after zapping, the leads stay warm & melted for a bit longer than the wood outsides.
4. The heat of the micro will cause the outer coating of the pencils to bubble a bit if you get them too hot. It doesn't effect the leads but may make it a bit rough on the fingers if the bubbles don't cool right. If you have asbestos fingers you may want to try rolling the bubbles out but I haven't tried that yet.
Except for my black pencil I found this was a good way to save yourself the frustration of having your leads breaking a lot. HTH
~C8>

OOPS, forgot to tell you. leave the micro door open for a few minutes to air out or your next meal may have a faint pencil scent. LOL.~C8>

Acutally, alsmouse, I'm glad you did drag up the old thread. If you hadn't, I don't know that I'd've seen this. The microwave repair trick and the oven repair trick are fantastic to know about! I love my Prismacolors, though I'm not wild about the tiny, gold, impossible to read letters they're now using , and I'm thrilled to know there's a possible solution to the ones I have with broken cores. I have three pencils (that I've had since way before they moved manufacturing) that I've stopped using because I got tired of the break, sharpen, break again, sharpen again, more breakage, sharpen and now all I have is a nub cycle. I'll happily test both methods and see what happens, since I have "volunteer" pencils.