Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Distress Inks

I've been doing some major card making since the beginning of this year. When I run into a 'snag' for an idea, I usually go to Google and am able to locate something of interest.

Since I am the type that usually makes a limited edition of my cards, that meaning one and that's it, I'm almost always on the lookout for new ideas.

I'm currently making a card for a friend of ours. Of course, it's harder than usual because I need a masculine theme. And since our friend is getting on in years, I've decided to do a vintage theme. Plus, over on the 'stop me!' thread, there's been lots of talk about DIs (distress inks).

During my local perusal of Google, I happened upon something called Thinking Inking. Perhaps you've heard of it and then again, perhaps you haven't. I don't know that I've ran into anything quite like it before. It's a series of classes involving DI and Hero Arts.

I think it was Fab who had said that she was thinking of using some of her wax paper dies as a mask. When I saw the part that starts at 5:30, I was thinking of you Fab! The only thing I don't know it how you would adhere the wax mask to the paper...

Class 1 or 5:30

As I go through each class, I'll post it here and hope that you will enjoy them as much as I am!

I really like the block stamping technique and hope to be able to use it in the card I'm making. Not too long ago, I gave away a pad of watercolor paper but I think I still have a piece to play with. The ink bleeding technique also has me enthralled. Love how she used the half pearls to decorate the trees.

Class 2

Class 2, Wk 2: Embossing Powders - love the idea of embossing buttons and Thickers (only wish I had seen this tutorial prior to making my latest grad card)

Just finished Class 3. Lots and lots of ideas!

Wk 3 Distress Inks

Class 4 - I only wish she would have covered how to remove the acrylic paint from the stamps.

Class 5: Alcohol Inks : the glass bulbs are particularly interesting. I think it was Stampin' Stacy that talked about making these a while back.

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 07-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Voracious Reader

She is a very good teacher, Roberta. I did a card with the resist technique in a local class last year, and it is fun to do. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample because I've already used the card. I've also used my craft mat and water to do backgrounds.

A very nice DI color to use is milled lavendar. It gives a subdued tone to the edges of old-fashioned portraits and is pretty when you want a soft greyish evening sky look.

Regarding the acrylic paint, just washing it off before it dries on the stamp is the best way to clean them.

Last edited by Lady Kestrel; 07-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Been real & been fun

I do like her teaching method. It's very to-the-point. Thank you for the tip on milled lavender and the acrylic paint.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 PM

I will try to watch some of her videos later. Had to take time to see doctors today.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM

Fab I hope all went well at the doctor's.

I was looking up something last night and I ran into her videos too. I haven't watched them yet. She does look like she has a good series.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM
stampin stacy

I'll second the well wishes with your latest dr appt Fab. It is very nerve wreaking every time you go. Deep breaths!!

I hope to have time to watch the videos later today. I have never used alcohol inks so it wasn't me AQ. I'm afraid I'd get them everywhere and ruin everything in sight, lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Been real & been fun

Perhaps it was Deb Lovett. Anyone heard from her? I've not seen her around for a while.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM

I used to see Deb on the technique pages mostly but not in a while.

I decided to go watch the first 3 beginner technique videos first for the DIs. Got a lot of help there as I am still a newbie with these inks.

The first doctor had not gotten back all the test results yet so I have more follow up to do with a bone scan and mamogram (all left overs from the breast cancer I am being seen for). The second was at urgent care for a mouth sore and gave me a drug that knocked me out last night. Best night's sleep in a long time.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Been real & been fun

Here's hoping that the scan and mammogram come back with no news to report.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Well, I finally got them both sceduled today.