Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Question Taking the plunge?

I'm thinking about splurging (for me, anyway) and getting a die cutting machine. Realistically, for my needs/wants at this point in my stamping adventures, I'm leaning towards Nesties. Have limitations due to the MS, so an electronic machine would work best for me. Have a couple of embossing templates that I've won, but not sure I'll be using them much. The checkbook isn't going to allow me to go too high as far as price. JoAnn's has a sale right now. Considering a Sizzix Big Shot. Any thoughts or recommendations from my RSC pals who know about such?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I'm thinking about splurging (for me, anyway) and getting a die cutting machine. Realistically, for my needs/wants at this point in my stamping adventures, I'm leaning towards Nesties. Have limitations due to the MS, so an electronic machine would work best for me. Have a couple of embossing templates that I've won, but not sure I'll be using them much. The checkbook isn't going to allow me to go too high as far as price. JoAnn's has a sale right now. Considering a Sizzix Big Shot. Any thoughts or recommendations from my RSC pals who know about such?
Hi there
The only thing I wonder about motorized products is what if the motor dies? My suggestion if you do not have friends that own products for you to test drive...is see if any local stores own the one you want and let you try it out? The Big Shot is rather easy to crank and the one to talk to is Inky Whiskers as she has and loves it as do I. I have the spellbinders purple one as well and at first hated it and sunk my dies into the cut plate and had the devil of a time prying it off...It got better. Some things cut way better with the big shot as opposed to the traditional Spellbinders one but the new electric one looks grand! Look over the warranties and see if there are any sites that critique the products you wanna look at? Happy shopping and good luck with your final choice. Let us know what you decide!
Spidey
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 AM

For years I used my cuttlebug - and love it. But it can't take the super large dies that are coming out now.
So for Christmas I got the Big Shot Pro - which was expensive even at 50% off during the holidays. But - it will take every die on the market today.
If you are looking for a motorized one, check out the Vagabond - Tim Holtz designed it with a more powerful motor than the electronic version of the big shot.

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Inky the Muse

I do love my Big Shot, but it you want a self propelled cie cut machine, I'm with Nancy, get the Vagabond.

P.S. Just FYI...Cuttlebug now makes XL cutting pads that work with the Sizzix Bigz XL dies.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers View Post
I do love my Big Shot, but it you want a self propelled cie cut machine, I'm with Nancy, get the Vagabond.

P.S. Just FYI...Cuttlebug now makes XL cutting pads that work with the Sizzix Bigz XL dies.
Thanks for the info abou the XL cutting pads - but the bug still only takes dies under 6" wide and many of the new dies that I want to use are wider than that.
So....my craft room is now home to two die cut machines!

my blog - a papercrafting journey
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM
StamPoor

I just watched the Tim Holtz video tutorial on the Vagabond on You Tube. That might be something you would want to check out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaK8a0w2llA
Old 02-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinNancy View Post
Thanks for the info abou the XL cutting pads - but the bug still only takes dies under 6" wide and many of the new dies that I want to use are wider than that.
So....my craft room is now home to two die cut machines!
So true! The Pro model does have some fantabulous 12" wide dies.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM

The fancier machines look and sound great, but seem a bit much for my needs and wants at this time. Remember guys, I'm pretty much a beginner. Thinking about the electric Big Shot. Going to take your advice, Spidey, and check out the site for info on warranties and reviews.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Check out both of these sites, they have a lot of info & the outlet has sales if you are signed up on their mailing list. You might also check out Ebay.

http://www.sizzix.com/home

http://www.sizzix.com/outlet
~C8>
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Well, a Big Shot is on its way. Checked on eBay, but J's sale price was much lower, at least for a new one. Ordered three sets of Nesties, too. No point in getting something if you can't play right away, huh? Don't know why I'm now feeling so nervous.