Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Stamp Hoarder

Hey, at least you've got windows! I love having a window, just have to stretch my eyeballs sometimes. (as hubby says).
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Reading about everybody else's stamping spaces makes me even more excited about setting up mine. Won't happen until later this summer, IF then! Currently I've been using the kitchen table, which has a nice east window. The back bedroom will eventually be my place. The downside is that it only has a small west window, and my "play" space will be the closet area. Other dream/plan for this summer is to re-do the kitchen, with a nice counter/work/stamping area for me in front of the east window which looks out to the bird feeders. My idea for now is to use the area with all the light in the kitchen for creating individual cards, and will use the closet area for projects that involve multiple cards. For example, the 14 Easter cards that just went out today, and other 'holiday" cards. That will (theoretically at least) keep the kitchen table clear. Ideas and/or encouragement?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Inky the Muse

I often take projects downstairs to work on while watching TV w/hubby in the evenings. I usually do things like score, cut & fold cardstock (including die cutting a dry embossing), stamp & color, assemble. Stuff that doesn't make a lot of noise or has too many bits works best. I have a plastic Coke tray that stores use to hold 6 packs of bottles that I use for hauling stuff up & down. Its very sturdy & large enough to hold my Big Shot & accs or a couple of shoe boxes with project bits. This way & can have family time & still get crafting done. Things like heat embossing or cutting larger pieces of cardstock have to be done upstairs in my crapht room, but I can't be in there ALL the time. OK, I could be in there ALL the time, but I choose to spend some time each day with hubby so he doesn't think I've abandoned him completely.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm ! I love the idea of a mobile tray for stamping activities but think my next splurge is going to be for some sort of lap desk for more coloring while watching TV. Hubby and I have decided that much of our furniture, driven by designs of the time, is too uncomfortable for us. We need more support for our aging bodies.

And I wondered why some folks used to update their homes as children went off to college. . .not just updating, simplifying so their home and furnishings don't 'own' them!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Karen, lots of changes need to be made in our homes when we admit we are "getting of an age." With the MS, there's really only one chair I can get out of by myself in the l.r., but since the checkbook doesn't want to get new furniture at this time, that probably won't change. After more than 25 years with the current dinnerware, I'm bored with it. Tonight's plans include dinner w/ DH, followed by using a couple of $10 coupons to get new dishes. You can tell we've been married a l-o-n-g time when a date involves buying new dishes! The new color scheme will I'm sure inspire some stamping.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
I'm ! I love the idea of a mobile tray for stamping activities but think my next splurge is going to be for some sort of lap desk for more coloring while watching TV. Hubby and I have decided that much of our furniture, driven by designs of the time, is too uncomfortable for us. We need more support for our aging bodies.

And I wondered why some folks used to update their homes as children went off to college. . .not just updating, simplifying so their home and furnishings don't 'own' them!
I didn't pay a dime for the Coke tray! One of DH's gamer buddies brought it over & left it behind. SCORE!!! He said the store let him take with him since it was full of heavy bottles.

If you don't mind plastic & you want cheap, check out the kids crafting section at your local craft store. Our Michael's has these brightly colored lap trays that have a deep pocket on either side that holds the tray over your lap. The tray also has a recessed top so pencils don't roll off. I'm a full sized stamper & this tray fits over both my legs comfortably. They're usually about $10, but they go on sale every so often & you can use a coupon if there isn't a sale when you're there.

I've already started mapping out in my head how DH & I are going to be thinning out our accumilated junk, rearranging the rooms & replacing certain pieces of furniture as soon as DIL joins DS where ever he gets stationed. I want DS's room 'cuz he has 2 long walls w/o windows or doors that will give me more shelf room than I have in my current room. DH wants my crapht room for his office 'cuz it's cooler than his current room & has better natural light. Our whole house has surplus in just about every catagory & even after DS takes some things with him, we'll still have way more than we need. If we don't use it or it has zero sentimental value...Out it goes!

Don't be afraid or sad about the prospect of having an empty nest, ladies! It's a liberating feeling to take your house back & make it your own again!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 PM

In taking back our homes, there could be great or unexpected consequences. One of the things I've wanted to do for a while is our basement room which has become the 'junk' room and downstairs bath. It's amazing what 18 years in a house looks like if you haven't been able to maintain it the way you'd like. It's really too bad I can't stand being 'below ground' as the room would be terrific as a second family room/craft space but I have to have much more natural light than it provides.

Renee, I can empathize. Hubby is having a horrible time getting in and out of cars, onto and out of furniture, etc. Hopefully he's only lost muscle tone with his illness and he'll recover but we still don't have a diagnosis.