Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM

We'll have to see about those clear stamps. I got an image this year that would appeal to my immediate family but I can see using it again when we can announce a granddaughter via Christmas cards and letters. This means it will sit for about 7 to 10 years?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 AM
stampin stacy

I seem to remember a thread/discussion a couple of years ago where someone had purchased some clear stamps on clearance and was having trouble getting them to come off the acetate packaging and tore some of them getting them off. I have had the same problem, I didn't think the MS alpha set I got on sale would ever come off the packaging. I don't think the stuff they come on is any better that using office supply type acetate. More likely you have just been lucky so far but if they sit on that stuff lone enough it could be a problem. I think that is why clearance items are a problem, it's usually merchandise that has sat on the shelf to long.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Inky the Muse

Hmmm...good point Stacy!

Methinks I'll try some of the flat jewel cases I have to see if the polymer will fit with the case closed. I should be able to attach the index acetate to the outside of the case so I know what's inside. I'll let y'all know what happens.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Starving Artistamps

Since we are discussing storage, I thought I also better remind you to take a peek at your cling mounted stamps that are stored in CD cases, especially as they get older, as the cling (and clear stamps) can sometimes bond with the plastics in CD cases. It really depends on the plastic formula the CD case manufacturer uses. If you are using tack it over and over or halos CDs might work for you, but for cling, you need to be careful what you stick them on. If you see this happening and still want to use CD's for storage you should consider using inserts for your cases to protect the cling. They run 3.49 for 10 CD storage board inserts, you can find them here:
http://starvingartistamps.com/storage_boards.html

I have seen this bonding happen with a set of stamps I was using for demonstration at the shows as well as some of my personal stamps I had stored in CD cases. I had them directly stuck to the CD with the cling cushion and after some time (well over a year or more) they eventually started to bond, you can see the shapes of the stamps melted into the CD. Once this started happening they did not stick well to acrylics and I had to replace the cling, I used thin cling on top of the regular cling rather than take them totally apart. After that I used the CD case inserts in the CD cases.

I have my demo kit in the office for the winter so I will try and get a photo of what it looks like as I have saved it and display it at the shows to show what the bonding looks like. I put in a call to Sunday to talk about safe options and they strongly suggest using the storage boards.

In the end I decided to switch to hard case binders with the storage boards in them which we now carry on the website you can see what they look like here:
( http://starvingartistamps.com/storag...er_system.html )

I use them for my personal collection because they hold a lot more in a smaller space than CD or DVD cases do. I prefer to store my stamps by theme and as we travel a lot its very easy for me to grab 2-3 binders and have hundreds of coordinating stamps in one shot, rather than significantly more CD cases. I also found that CD cases are fairly small, don't hold very many stamps especially larger stamps and they can't hold backgrounds at all. They also crack and break easily and do not hold up well to abuse.

In comparing storage by inches, I think you can fit a whole lot more stamps in a binder than you can in a huge stack of CD's.

A regular binder is also o.k. but the benefits of the hard case are in my opinion worth a look.

The hard case limits the amount of pages you can put in the binder which protects the bottom layers of stamps from getting crushed. Especially if you plan to stack your binders horizontally and not standing up. They keep your stamps clean, and because its is enclosed they stay stuck to the boards, and you won't lose any stamps if they do happen to pop off. You can fit 5 cling mounted 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of stamps in each large binder.

Our sheets have approx. 18-25 variously sized stamps per sheet, so that's 90-125 stamps stored in each binder. (More if your storing sentiments, alphabets or smaller images) Our stamps are deep etch but if your stamps are not as deeply etched or you use thin cling rather than regular cling you might be able to fit in an additional sheet. Personally I prefer the regular thickness of cling cushion over the thin but if storage space is a very big issue for you thin may be the way to go. Comparing a binder to the size of CD cases, you would need approximately 18-20 CD cases to hold the same amount of stamps that you can fit in just one binder.

If you plan to use a regular binder avoid over filling your binder (keep the thickness at the open end the same thickness as the spine) If you over fill it you run the risk of crushing the foam on the stamps in the inner part of the binder. I also suggest that unless your stamps perfectly line up when facing each other its probably a better idea to only store stamps on one side of the storage board rather than both.

Really storage is such a personal thing, I would never be able to hold my collection in baggies, I would go crazy trying to find a stamp. I can't be trusted with tacky glues and tapes, they would easily be covered in pet hair, glitter and embossing powders. So for me cling is my preferred method for attaching and so far the hard case binders are doing a fantastic job. I can fit thousands of stamps on one book shelf and pull out what I need in a moment.

I think it really depends on the size of your collection, the size of your stamps and where you stamp. So this was probably more than you wanted to know, but I think its nice to hear everyones different solutions and get a glimpse into how we all tackle the issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Hadn't thought of squishing cling if I overstuffed binders even though I've tried to be careful. . .so more storage purchases for me.

Ugh about the jewel and CD cases. I haven't had a problem with those so far so I wonder if each of our individual climates have something to do with it?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
stampin stacy

Thanks for all the info Tracey, we love when our vendor members join in on the discussions here at RSC. I kinda figure between having to store your inventory and all the traveling ya'll have probably "been there done that" more than the rest of us and am grateful to you for sharing the learned it the hard way experiences with us.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
StamPoor

Tracey, I also appreciate your input and the cautions about overfilling binders and long-term storages. Vendors like you generally have so much more experience about these things and it's kind of you to share your expertise and comments.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Stampwrite

I went to a shop that sells baseball cards and purchased a lot of sheets with different sized pockets. Then I went to a thrift store outlet where they sell all of their cast-offs by the pound. For 25 cents I purchased a huge business binder, with room for all of my pocketed sheets.

Any interesting note: the business binder was from the business that my cousin owned. He had recently been killed in a car accident, and I was missing him terribly. Finding the binder that day was amazing... a reminder of the cousin I loved, and a great place to store all of my unmounted stamps!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Inky the Muse

All of your ums fit in ONE binder? I just can't image.

Anywho, I'm glad you found a happy reminder AND a way to store your stamps.

P.S. I pulled out that stack of thin jewel cases I have & yes, they're just thick enough to hold polymer stamps & no, they aren't the hard plastic cd cases. These are a more flexible plastic that are colored & one side of the inside (the side with the round thingie for holding the disc in place) is a frosted texture. I know I have more poly stamps than cases right now, but they come in 25 pks for around $7 at Costco, so getting more isn't too big a deal.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM
One Eye Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darci Simmons View Post
What do you stick your cling mount stamps on to store them? Right now I have them loose in zip bags stored in a drawer. However, I have collected so many more stamps that I'm running out of room in the drawers. Wondering if I stuck them on acetate if I could make more room in the drawers. Have looked for thick acetate here in town, but couldn't find any. What do you all use? And where do you find it???? Thanks!!!
Darci, your stamps are definitely having babies! Everytime you turn around there are more.