Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Mounted Stamp Storage

I just needed to share this project with people who would understand. I was looking at an old RSM magazine and there was a picture of a behind-the-door storage cabinet for stamps. I wasn't really looking for anything that required major installation, but I had a brainflash that resulted in the project in the picture below. It cost me about $30 in supplies and I now have behind-the-door storage that did not require major construction nor any permanent installation. I hung this on two of the largest Command strip mounted hooks (each is rated for 5 pounds), so it is removable. I used foamcore, molding made from some sort of light weight wood-alternative, some sort of paper-y upholstery stripping, two D-rings, and Liquid Nails. I was so proud of myself for this DIY project and there's not many folks who'd understand my excitement--but I was pretty sure some of you might. Debra

100_1896.jpg
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Inky the Muse

Clever!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Marie

Great idea and good job!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Been real & been fun

I love what you did! Having stamps available at a glance is wonderful! Congrats!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 AM
stampin stacy

Awesome!! You should send this in to one of the stamp mags that features stamp spaces/storage.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM
StamPoor

A storage AND display solution in one... kudos!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM

I was right--you guys really do "get it" when it comes to my excitement about this project! Thanks for your enthusiasm and kind words of encouragement. Maybe I will send it a picture to RSM. I hadn't thought about doing that.

I'd pretty much stopped buying mounted stamps because of storage issues (and switched to unmounted). But, when my unmounted notebooks got to a point where I needed more shelf space even for them, I was spurred to brainstorming on how to expand storage in general. When I saw the idea of using "behind the door" space, which is generally unused, the lightbulb went on. Also, I really do like to display my stamps (I'd already adapted an old entertainment center with the molding-for-shelves idea to display stamps). They serve as inspiration for me. That's the one thing I've struggled with in using the unmounteds. I'm one of those "out of sight, out of mind" kinds of folks. Even at work, I keep piles of stuff to remind me of what my current projects are.

Anyway, thanks again for your kind (and validating!) remarks.

Debra
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
StamPoor

Debra, do you keep a log of your stamps -- mounted and unmounted? It's a great tool to browse through and see all your images when you need to remember what you have and so much easier than going through the stamps themselves. I also include information about when and where I bought the stamp and what it cost so I'll have a record for the insurance company if anything happens to the stamps. A lot of stampers do that and the sooner you start, the easier it is.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
Debra, do you keep a log of your stamps -- mounted and unmounted? It's a great tool to browse through and see all your images when you need to remember what you have and so much easier than going through the stamps themselves. I also include information about when and where I bought the stamp and what it cost so I'll have a record for the insurance company if anything happens to the stamps. A lot of stampers do that and the sooner you start, the easier it is.
I'm actually working currently on creating what you are talking about. I've been in process with that project for a few months (time limitations). I'm in the midst of stamping images and filing them all in a notebook separate from the images themselves. I had not thought about recording for insurance purposes, though. Did you record how much your dies cost for that purpose? So many of mine came in grab bags or I've taken off the price-tag, etc. Did you do your log in hard copy or digital or both?

Maybe we need a new thread: What we should have done about/with our growing collection if we knew then, what we know now...

Debra
Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
One Eye Wonder

Very cool!