Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
alma

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkyjo View Post
one of my favorite ones is called the
STAZON all purpose cleaner..one bottle will last a very long time..i use it so much..its made for all kinds of inks like dye ink and including solvents and pigments.i use all kinds of stamps, wooden, rubber, poly...no problems with any of them..sounds like movement..but dont know
You may want to hold off on using the Stazon cleaner on those polymer stamps. The cleaner has be known to actually eat away at the stamps.

A better alternative is the Ultra Clean by Stewart Superior. That cleaner even gets off Stazon Opaque ink, in my opinion, the hardest to clean. I just spray and let it sit for a minute or so. Then clean off with a dry baby wipe
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Default polys

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma View Post
You may want to hold off on using the Stazon cleaner on those polymer stamps. The cleaner has be known to actually eat away at the stamps.

A better alternative is the Ultra Clean by Stewart Superior. That cleaner even gets off Stazon Opaque ink, in my opinion, the hardest to clean. I just spray and let it sit for a minute or so. Then clean off with a dry baby wipe
i use solvent dyes and cleaners on my polys, but they are cheaper made..but they are holding up great...guess its all about who makes them , i dont know..i have been doing it for 5 yrs now on the poly ones..they are in great shape still..but i can always check it out for later
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM

I thought the little hairs/artifacts were from my cat too. Never considered it could be the stamping rags. Thanks, Andre, for opening my eyes to the real source of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
Well, I HAVE had the problem... and I was blaming the cat! Thanks for letting us know about the various sources that create those teeny fibers. I plan to make some changes in my stamp cleaning routine.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
rockriver

Can someone please tell me the best way to get acrylic paint off stamps---like the Tim Holtz or Claudine Hellmuth acrylic paints. I've wanted to try some of the techniques I've seen but in the videos I've watched, no one ever mentions how to get the stamps clean. The last thing I want to do is trash any of my stamps by using the wrong cleaning method.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Actually, there is a special cleaner for your polymer stamps that we carry...

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Can someone please tell me the best way to get acrylic paint off stamps---like the Tim Holtz or Claudine Hellmuth acrylic paints.
Others may have other ways but I usually wash my stamps asap after using acrylic paints. I use baby shampoo & a soft toothbrush under running warm H2O. It may take a while but the stamp comes clean.
If it is dried on, get a small shallow container, place the stamp image side down inside it. Slowly pour very warm, not boiling, H2O into the container to just below the bottom edge of the foam holding the image on. Let this soak until the H2O is cool. Pull the stamp out & using baby shampoo & a soft toothbrush under running warm H2O, scrub the image. This may take a while to get clean & out of most of the recessed spot on the image. You may have to repeat this multiple times so be prepared to spend a while on this depending on how gunky the image is. If after that, there is still a bit of paint still in those spots , you will have to go to the next level. Pour out the shallow H2O pan. At this point you have 2 options. #1 is to pour Stazon stamp cleaner in to container, placing the stamp image down into the container. Pour only enough to come just below the edge of the mounting foam. Let it set & scrub away, repeating as necessary. The other option is where you place the image facing up into the container, carefully cover the entire stamp image with the Stazon to the point that it looks like it will pour over the edge of the stamp on the outside of the edge of the image. This is a bit trickier to do but with this way if you see any air bubbles you can dislodge them so the cleaner can get to the paint. Again let it soak [I prefer overnight if really gunky]. Again, using baby shampoo & a soft toothbrush under running warm H2O, scrub the image. Depending on how bad the stamp is will depend on how many times you may have to repeat this. If after wards you still have paint in the groves, take a dampened toothpick & gently rub each area that is still gunky.
I have tried this on a finely detailed stamp where the previous owner had used the cheapy paint from the craftstore, let it dry very well, bonding it to the rubber due to the metallic effect in the paint. It took me about 5 days to get the stamp useable again. I had purchased it at the LSS as consignment, when the owner saw how bad it was when I bought it, she said if I couldn't rehab it, to bring it back for credit. It had been a consignment piece & sh hadn't even been aware of the paint problem. After I was done cleaning it, I took it back for her to see. She didn't believe it was the same stamp.
Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give you the best instructions that I found useful. HTH
~C8>
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Been real & been fun

Wow, alsmouse! You've really been thru some sticky wickets!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Wow, alsmouse! You've really been thru some sticky wickets!
It depends on how wide apart the wickets are though.
~C8>
Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 PM

That is great advice mouse. It is amazing what can be cleaned off. I once got a free stamp at our recycle center that had been used in silver paint. It took a couple of days and I used diluted Simple Green and had the stamp face down with just the rubber in it. A good soak and then a toothbrush scrub a couple of times and it looks great again.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
RSMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Can someone please tell me the best way to get acrylic paint off stamps [...] no one ever mentions how to get the stamps clean.
Here's the secret y'all want to know!

When you go down the aisle to view the choices of acrylic paints (in my case, it's Michael's) turn around. The displays opposite the paints feature other mediums. Look for "Extender Medium." Buy it!

Pour a quarter-size dollop of acrylic paint onto some surface (I use the lid from a to-go salad). Add a few drops of "extender medium" onto the dollop of paint and mix it with a bamboo skewer, or other tool of choice. Wipe the tool with a paper towel and put aside.

Gently pounce the mixed medium with your triangle-shaped make-up sponge using the blunt end. You don't want to overload the sponge. Pounce the sponge several times off-side to distribute the paint/extender so that it's nicely covered on the sponge.

Gently sponge/tap the paint onto your stamp, and then stamp your image.

Acrylic paints are famously known to be quick-drying. The extender serves to "extend" the drying time of the paint. Thus, one does not have to worry about the paint drying on your stamp.

When you get darn right ready to get up from your crafting chair, you can comfortably saunter to your sink with your stamp and your sponge. Hold the stamp vertically and run warm water just over the rubber it helps to have a spent toothbrush handy to clean the details. Run the sponge under the water and squeeze it to clean out the paint from it so you can use it again.

I've used the same salad-bar lid for years. Once the paints dry, it does not affect any new paint you might add for your next project. You would not believe how heavy that lid has become!!