Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Been real & been fun

My problem with SU ink pads are that they are rather clunky to work with and they change their color scheme. That was when I dumped all of my SU pads and went to DI instead. Last year, I was making the move to go over to Marvy, but I already had so much invested in DI that I gave my Marvy ink pads to a friend of mine. More recently, I dumped my Kaleidacolor ink pads on a couple of friends as the little device for pushing the pads together was always getting in the way.

When I first started stamping, I had Marvy markers and a few dye ink plus a black pigment ink pad and some colored pencils. Then after becoming disillusioned with stamping, I dumped what I had on my youngest sister. When I got back into stamping, I was far more particular about what I chose as far as inks, stamps, paper, etc. Funny how I accumulated more with that route than when I first started!

Like you, DeAnn, I've been fairly exasperated with all the different inks to choose from and I absolutely refuse to buy deinkers. As it is, I have one DI stain that I'm still working on how to use the thing. No, simple is best. There are more fun things I can do with just a few items on hand rather than with all that any craft store could ever offer me.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM

SUp just changed a lot of the colors in their ink/paper line. They brought back some old colors and added them to their standard line; many of those ink pads have already been recycled!

I got the honor of tackling eldest's inherited craft closet and was not happy when I saw the ink pads for the kindergarteners. Too small or not water based; a disaster in the making. At least I know where my next set of discarded ink pads will go.

Only 8 more school days and my dining room table will not be found again! Ugh. . .guess I'll be down in the basement discarding things so we can store her school supplies out of the way.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Life brings changes with the seasons and with the growth and shrinkage of families. Our crafting seems to have its seasons too. When you do more than one it gets messier faster. I do need to start using things more that I have and buying only what I run out of.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Been real & been fun

If stuff hits the oscillating device, my life may be changing in a fairly dramatic way. No, no, no - it has nothing to do with my marriage. Rather, it's what going on with our company.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM

I often say, "Life is what happens while you are planning something else." Recently I saw, "Make your plans in pencil and give G-d the eraser."
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
My problem with SU ink pads are that they are rather clunky to work with and they change their color scheme.
I hate that about SU is the changing color scheme. I know they are just trying to have fresh ideas for their company. Jeez! Enough already. There was one year I loved the color scheme. I think it was 2009 or 2010? I can't remember. I know it was the year I got really ill. I bought that year's color scheme. It took me over two years to collect it though, lol. I had to buy all of them from Ebay. I did get some great deals due to everyone dumping their ink pads for new colors.

I don't want any of the new colors. If one more person tries to shove the new foam pads on me I will go postal. I don't want them. I am happy with what I have.

I don't mind that SU's pads are large. I wanted big ink pads because I use my brayer with them. I hardly use my ink pads to stamp with. I use my ink pads for a lot of techniques. I use my markers to ink my stamps with most of the time.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Been real & been fun

After reading everyone's take on ink pads here, I do believe we each hold our own special 'niche'. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

I love that we each have a path that is unique and aren't inhibited to say what we feel. I LOVE that about RSC!!! It's what makes us RSC.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm about to haul up two mid-sized boxes of stamping stuff, veneer, etc., out of the basement. Eldest needs the boxes for her classroom clean up.

I need to sort ink pads and other items for her possible use in the fall - still no definite job interview. I also think the odds and ends of 6X6 DP will go into a collage assortment bag; there are always some patterns that I don't entirely use or just gross me out!

These boxes were stored for a period of time so I could decide whether I really need it or not. I'm hoping some will go to a sale in August. My profits the last two years have gone into SUp cardstock for my eldest to use; she loves the weight for laminating various décor and sign elements in her room.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

I guess it is all stuff you have not used for a while, probably never use again, so it is a great place to start eliminating.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Been real & been fun

One stamper's junk is another stamper's treasure!