Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM
stampin stacy

Default cheap scrubbing/cleaning pad

Thought I'd share my newest cheap creation with my buddies here. I picked up a package of really cheap sponges (3 to a package) recently from a "Dollar Sale" bin and this is what I came up with. I just took an old worn wash rag from my cleaning rags bag, folded it in half and then safety pinned it on. Cheap, quick and easy to do, can be washed or eventually tossed without guilt. I did say cheap and this is why I use an old worn out wash rag.

Place in a bowl, plate or other container and you are ready to add water and/or cleaner. Since they come 3 to a package you could even make up 2 of them. One with cleaner and one with plain water for rinsing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheap scrub pad.jpg (40.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 AM
RSMaker

If you put that sponge in a double-wide Rubbermaid sandwich container with a lid, then you can just leave the solution in there for a while til it gets too yucky, then clean the rag and sponge as needed. The lid prevents the water from drying out too fast, and the depth of the container helps to prevent accidental spills. This is what I use.

My sponge is one of those charcoal-colored dense foam pieces that used to come with computers as part of the packing material. It works great. You can just flip the foam over to get a "fresh" side as needed.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
stmpstone

I use Awesome all purpose cleaner that I get at the dollar store and an old wash cloth. I've used so many methods over the years. I think one of my favorite was a floor wax applicator. It was really thick. It was put together with staples which I removed to make it flat.

I think I've gotten so lazy that I find it easier to just toss the wash cloths in with my bleach load every week. Yes, they stay stained but I know they are clean.

It's fun hearing what everybody else does to clean out the ink.

If I have ink that doesn't remove with the Awesome, I use a solvent cleaner by Judikins that I keep in the bathroom with an electric toothbrush that can scrub in all the areas. If my stamps get really stained and the solvent doesn't remove it I have to remember that my stamps are tools and it's okay to use a clean stained stamp.
Claudia in Las Vegas
Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Inky the Muse

Very clever, Stacy! My first thought when I saw the pix was 'what a great use for odd sweat socks'. Same principal as the safety pinned rag & the sock will cover both sides of the sponge. I like the container idea of Cheryl's too.

While I have a fair collection of SU!'s Stampin' Scrub pads & Stampin' Mist cleaner these days (along with StazOn cleaner for those hard to clean inks) I used to use a painter's edging pad to clean my stamps before I became a demo. It had scrubing bristles attached to a sponge base w/a metal piece on the back to attach it to a handle. I would wet it and set it in a plastic tray to use then rinse it out when I was done stamping for the day. They were cheaper than a name brand stamp scrubbing pad & disposible.

I once had a customer tell me she used Simple Green to clean her stamps. I was concerned until I contacted the company that makes it & they told me that their product wouldn't hurt the rubber, foam, wood or adhesive used for stamps when used to clean those materials, but to not soak the wood blocks as that would damage them & could loosen the adhesive.

I do advise those who are into alternative methods of cleaning their stamps to make sure whatever product(s) you use on your rubber doesn't contain alcohol or oil distilates. Both can damage the rubber & ruin it.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
stampin stacy

Great ideas so far, love the tray and will have to remember to scarf that grey foam next time I see some. Lol I have a pile of rags in the hall closet including wash rags and socks. Wash rag is just what I happened to grab but a sock would mean no safety pin needed.

As far as cleaners go, I use Simple Green or Judikins for the tough stuff. If that don't get it off the like Claudia, I just don't worry about it. At that point it is unlikely to transfer to my next project.

I have found that if the simple green on my sponge has dried out a good spritz of water will usually reactivate it.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
stmpstone

The Awesome all purpose cleaner from the Dollar Store says if it's safe in water it's safe in Awesome. I've been using this for years with no problem. It comes in a spray bottle and you get a good amount for your dollar. The Angel Company makes a wonderful cleaner but it's expensive. I keep a bottle or two on hand, but for general cleaning I just grab the bottle of Awesome, then I use it to clean off the table, any spills on the floor...well you get the message. lol Next time you are in the Dollar Store, check out the label for yourself.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Inky the Muse

Just don't use the Awesome on your art sponges! I tried to unstain some of my Stampin' Sponges using that product & it sort of melted them. All I did was sprits the stains on the sponges & soak them in hot water. I came back to find lil shrivled hockey pucks. It did remove the ink stains tho'.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
RSMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
As far as cleaners go, I use Simple Green or Judikins for the tough stuff.

I have found that if the simple green on my sponge has dried out a good spritz of water will usually reactivate it.
I also use Simple Green, diluted with water in my Rubbermaid container. I use one of the sponges like you use (the yellow with the netting around it) at the bottom, then place the dense foam on top. I don't use any rags or cloths.... the foam itself works well to get the ink off. I let my stamp rest on top of the foam - which is quite wet -- while doing something else.

In preparing my container, I drizzle one or two glugs (definitely a technical measurement, eh?) of SG onto the foam. Then using the faucet, add water right onto the top of the foam until the container is half full.

So, the water dilutes the Simple Green. The yellow sponge keeps the foam "lifted" off the bottom of the container, so that when I flip the foam, the ink on that side can dissipate into the water, and float to the bottom -- theoretically keeping the flipped side free of ink while it's soaking until the next flip.

I also use the paint pad to dry the stamp if I want to put it away right away. After washing the ink off the stamp, I smear it across junk printout paper, then rub the paint pad across it to dry the stamp, which gets into all the little crevices in a neat and quick fashion.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM
fadedpaperrose11

Thanks for the great ideas. I haven't been the happiest with my cleaning techniques lately.

I wish cleaning the house was this easy!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM
stampin stacy

Glad you like my cheap method. Btw, for anyone wondering I wrap a wash rag around the sponge for extra nap.

I have seen the Awesome product mentioned before but have not tried it. Just wondering if it is the best choice for acrylic stamps. If it will melt sponges which are at least partly made of acrylic possibly then who knows.