Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Question Oh Mr. Wood Veneeeer mannnnn!

Hi. This is Debbie. I'm new, so I'm going about reading all the different posts. I read that you are the veneer guy. Will your veneer go through a diecut machine without being destroyed? Will the dies cut through it? Is it as thin as paper? Can it fly or leap tall buildings with a single bound? Ok, I'm getting silly now.

I have a Revolution and a Cuttlebug. Oooh, wouldn't it be cool if you could Cuttlebug the wood? Sa-weeeeet!

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

Hi Debbie,
I am not Wood Veneer Man, but I have used his veneer and he does have some that is paper thin and is beautiful. I don't own either one of those machines (wish I did), but it is as thin as paper. I am sure Jenna (Inky Whiskers) could tell you. I have used my quick cut die cutter on it and it worked fine. It is really nice stuff. Although he does have thicker wood also.
Just thought I would give you a heads up hope you don't mind me stickig my nose in.
Audrey
Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Inky the Muse

I have a postcard WVM sent with my sample packet & the words looked to be die cut. The paper thin veneers should certainly work easily an any die cut or punch. I like to run thin materials thru' my Xyron prior to cutting to help stablize them. As for die cutting, I'll find out soon how well the veneers cut when my Bigshot arrives in the next week or so. I'll let y'all know what I learn.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Audreyrose

Wink

Hi Jenna,
Did you say Big Shot? Again I don't know what that is, i assume a die cutting machine. But, I thought you were the big shot?!
Love ya,
Audrey
Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 AM
wood veneer man

Smile Response to an awesome material that needs cuddled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of2shoes View Post
Hi. This is Debbie. I'm new, so I'm going about reading all the different posts. I read that you are the veneer guy. Will your veneer go through a diecut machine without being destroyed? Will the dies cut through it? Is it as thin as paper? Can it fly or leap tall buildings with a single bound? Ok, I'm getting silly now.

I have a Revolution and a Cuttlebug. Oooh, wouldn't it be cool if you could Cuttlebug the wood? Sa-weeeeet!

Thanks for the info.

Welcome , Debbie this veneer is so awesome and so thin that even the cheap $1.00 punches work great >I also use ellison machine when i get a chance to play with them .
The thick veneers work great only with the big daddys. like the cardstock material . Iv'e tried to make boxes with these cutters they didn't work as well But every thing else did.
The veneer is anywhere from .080 to .010 thousands thick about 2 thicknesses of typing paper. There is a designer in new zeeland that uses her cuttlebug to emboss this stuff .
The card that senior member Inky was talking about I cut this on my Cricut. Go to my gallery and check out my postcards .Believe me i'm good but not that good . I am trying to buy a laser to do the cutting of the slogans Soon real soon I hope. Pm me your adress and let me send you some samples . I've got some veneer that needs to be cuddlebuged. Please join us for my postcard contest . Email me for details .This material must be sealed not acid and liguine free .(so what) any sealer will work great)
Thank you Audrey rose and Jenna for helping me out and letting others know what this stuff will do. Wood veneer man
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyrose View Post
Hi Jenna,
Did you say Big Shot? Again I don't know what that is, i assume a die cutting machine. But, I thought you were the big shot?!
Love ya,
Audrey
No, Audrey sweety, I just have a big mouth.

The BigShot is the largest home model of die cut machine carried by Sizzix. It can use just about any size or brand of dies used in manual home use die cut machines (Ellison, Cuttlebug, Quik-cuts etc) from the XL bigz (6"x13") that usually have boxes & other large images, down to lil 2"x2" Sizzlets. I've been pondering getting a die cut machine for awhile now & finally something came along that finally made it seem practical to make the investment. I'm gonna have some fun now!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Fliss

I used to be the proud owner of a Sizzix original die cutter, it was bought second hand and after a couple of years use the handle headed southward! DH did tell me not to put whole body weight on it! When I tearfully handed it over to him to dump he caved in and told me to send for a new one, don't you just love when tears pay off! Following much research on these machines, the new member to the family is 'Big Shot', which according to research is the best for all dies, I have even used my Fiskars embossing plates on it with great results, I never did like using that Fiskars rubbing tool. Inky, you will love it. It takes me back to the day's of putting the laundry through the mangle, so if you see an old mangle hanging around, try embossing through it?
Bet it would work, then you would only have to buy the cutting plates
The cuttlebug has a lot of negative reports regarding handle splitting etc.

I will be on the look-out for some wood veneer closer to home, it sounds a great addition to 'play time', especially after viewing Wood Veneer Man's gallery.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM

A Big Shot! I've been considering asking Santa for a Big Shots for Christmas, but am dithering since i'm not enthused with the machine i currently have-i hope you'll tell us about it after you've used it Jenna! I'm not not much fond of my die cutter for single peices since by the time i've fussed enough to get a good clean cut i could usually have just cut it by hand, but the larger dies and embossing plates are so tempting.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Audreyrose

Wink

I do have a sixxix machine with some dies I purchased in the states and I will try the veneer on it when I get some. I have used my quick cut hannd die cutter and it works just fine. Love the stuff.
Take care and thanks my big mouth firend I don't have a big mouth, but I do have lots of volumn
Love ya,
Audrey