Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 PM

This is a technique that sounds harder than it actually is. Give it a try. It doesn't take long.

In the first picture (above) of the chair, I am trying to show that the tape is adhered on top of the ad. (I didn't cut between the rungs.) If you look carefully you will see the edges of the tape within in the borders of the cut out ad.

Follow the steps (burnish, soak and rub off the paper).

Yes, at the end you still have the tape, but with the image only on the sticky part of the tape. There is no paper.

In the second picture, I put it on scrapbook paper to show how the white background became transparent. BTW, the tape is still sticky, so it is easy to stick to the scrapbook paper.

Darker colors are not transparent. In my opinion, it looks the same as just putting tape over an ad (but of course you don't have the paper) -- so why bother?? Below is a finished example where the colors are dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
Trying to picture this... Do you cut out your image (I can't imagine cutting between all those chair rungs) before you put the tape over it? And after you've removed the paper with the circular motion, then what? You adhere the tape to your project? Your project doesn't like like the tape is still on it, so does the tape come off? Sorry to be so dense but I could use just a bit more explanation, please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing-tape-2.jpg (26.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 AM
StamPoor

Okay, Deb, I've got it now. It was not knowing that the tape was still sticky -- after being soaked -- that was confusing me. I understood all the rest. And Lorraine, thanks for the Hero Arts video link. I had checked out a couple of others, but I especially like the HA ones most of the time. Gotta go find me a magazine picture I like.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM

I bought the packing tape today so I'm ready to give it a shot.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM

My friend Barbara Reed made some great Packing Tape Transfer art and is letting me scan and show them in this thread.

Top: You may have seen the first sample in the June issue of Vamp Stamp News. Barbara adhered the packing tape on text from a book, then stamped the "R" on top of the tape.

Bottom: The Packing Tape Transfer technique is the brownish part with the clock and dials. Barbara then adhered it to a map. Notice how you can see the map through the Packing Tape Transfer.

We still have 2 more pieces of Barbara's art coming. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BReed1.jpg (33.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg BReed2.jpg (40.2 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Deb Lovett; 06-27-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Two more pieces of Packing Tape Transfer art from Barbara Reed.

Left: Barbara placed the Packing Tape Transfer image over the playing card. If you look carefully at the transfer, you can see that the PTT image is somewhat transparent -- see the word "joker" (bottom right) through the transfer?

Right: Barbara drew lines on the cardstock for "faux bricks," then made the Packing Tape Transfer into a bookmark.

Thanks again, Barbara.

Anyone else playing with Packing Tape Transfer? We'd love to see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BReed3.jpg (39.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg BReed4.jpg (20.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I am loving this one. Gonna see if I can find my packing tape! Super cool results!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM

I am having fun making Packing Tape Transfer ATCs for the upcoming Technique swap. I'm using an old Kiblan calendar.

Teaching Moment: You can rub too hard when you are rubbing the paper off your Packing Tape Transfer and rub the image right off. Case in point:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Packing-Tape-bad-cat.jpg (35.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
stampin stacy

Deb is right, it is a very easy technique and you can get some incredible results. Here is one I did several years ago. I placed it in a slide mount frame and then put that on an altered notebook:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg packing tape transfer.JPG (34.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Stacy, that turned out fantastic. Thanks for sharing your art with us on this thread.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Oh really nice! I just found my packing tape and am excited to try it too!