Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Colored Pencil Question

I messed up and decided to color a stamped basket with flowers image even though there was a part of the stamped image which didn't stamp completely. It's on the outer edge standing by itself and I thought I'd be able to fix it somehow. Duh! So now I have the problem of what to do about it. The coloring went well and turned out very nice and I'd hate to have to do it all over again. It's too intricate to cut out and glue on another sheet. My question is what could I use to color the background of the watercolor paper so that this little annoying boo boo gets covered? It would have to be something that I could use in areas between some of the flowers that aren't colored. I was thinking of using a black colored pencil which would make the basket stand out and look nice but I don't know if the colored pencil would sufficiently cover the paper. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM

I often start with a lighter pencil color that I've already used to fill in the gaps between the lines and curves of a stamped image. I then slowly work in a little darker if the lighter color seems too light until the space is filled. You can see what I mean in the tag challenge, last November's tag I think, the tree in my gallery, piecesandpom. There are spaces around the images and the branches that would have looked funny without some color to them.

If you have a marker that you can freehand the stamped image, you could also complete the image and color the way you did the rest of the flowers - this usually ends in diaster for me personally since I don't draw.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Thanks

That was good advice and it worked. The next time, I'll just restamp the image and save myself a lot of stress. This was for a birthday card and I wanted it to be perfect. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I would have suggested if that did not work an imbellishment of some sort...a brad with a butterfly if the size was appropriate or a paper flower for bling or stamp on another piece of paper the same stamp and cut out related sections and pop dot it over the work to add dimension...lots of ideas to toss out.
I have a zig marker fairly fine point that sometimes I can fill in the light area and it works but if fine like you said...chalk it up to great practice and do another...
It is often said a planned imperfection only adds charm to the work we do and keeps us humble.
Sometimes I am loaded with charm!
Hugs,
Spidey
Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Been real & been fun

The trick that I have found is using a colored pencil with a sharp point and going over the area a few times in different directions to get the best coverage possible. Do you have a pic you can show us?

If you are trying to draw in something, say the basket handle, try to find a hard object you can trace around that will connect it all together and then color it in.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM

One of the things I do with my colored pencils is to outline the image I'm coloring with the darkest color after I've finished coloring the image. For instance if the outline of a pumpkin didn't stamp perfectly, I might outline it with terra cotta to accent the oranges, yellows, golds in the colored pumpkin and finish off the stamped outline. I've had to pick which items from the stamp to do this with as outlining each image is too much, reduces high and low lights of your coloring, etc.