Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Default Whats the best quality metallic ink pad / mist?

I need to have a small, crisp, very fine detail output from my rubber stamp. What brand ink pad would you suggest? I need to use metallic gold and champagne.

I hear Tsukeneko has high quality ink pads...any suggestions? Are there metallic mists out there you have used before?

Thank you
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM

I've tried a couple of others but always go back to my Tuseinko pads.

They may be a bit juicy when you first get them and the recommendation from folks here is to pull the excess ink off with a credit card or to swipe it with some sort of cloth to get rid of the excess ink. Wish I knew this trick years ago as I threw out at least five ink pads!

I make my own metallic mists using cheap hairspray and Pearl Ex in a Ranger mini mister - best controlled little mister on the market in my humble opinion. I don't remember if there is a champagny Pearl Ex or not but any mica powder will work. It only requires a little of the powder so you'll want to experiment.

The Smoochies misters appear to be hit or miss in terms of quality; mine works fine but is a pearl color, not champagn. I think they do have a gold one as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
I've tried a couple of others but always go back to my Tuseinko pads.

They may be a bit juicy when you first get them and the recommendation from folks here is to pull the excess ink off with a credit card or to swipe it with some sort of cloth to get rid of the excess ink. Wish I knew this trick years ago as I threw out at least five ink pads!

I make my own metallic mists using cheap hairspray and Pearl Ex in a Ranger mini mister - best controlled little mister on the market in my humble opinion. I don't remember if there is a champagny Pearl Ex or not but any mica powder will work. It only requires a little of the powder so you'll want to experiment.

The Smoochies misters appear to be hit or miss in terms of quality; mine works fine but is a pearl color, not champagn. I think they do have a gold one as well.
Thank Karen. Great idea with the Ranger misters. How do you get the hair spray in there though...do you just spray directly into the mister and add the powder in? Does the hair spray texture stays liquid after it is out of the spray can and in the mister?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
stampin stacy

I have not seen this pad used so cannot speak to the actual color or if will stamp very fine detail or not but the name of the color is Champagne so....
http://tsukineko.com.xohost.com/stor...l&skip=&p=4450

In general pigment inks tend to be thicker so are not always the best choice. Versafine ink pads (by the same company) get the best results on fine detail stamps but they do not come in metallic colors.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

I buy a hairspray that's in a spritzer-type container so I can just take the top off and pour it in the mister, usually after I put an 1/8th of a teaspoon or less of Pearl Ex in the bottom. Then just shake.

The first spray I made lasted me two years - slightly larger bottle than the Ranger mister. The only thing I had to do was take out the spray top, wash/swish through warm water to unclog the mechanism, spray the excess water out and then it was good to go.

I have a friend who bought the champagne ink pad but I don't know what she thought of it - she was just showing her new goodies.