Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM

You are certainly correct about postage to Australia being expensive but what you may not know is all wood products are also subject to quarantine because of bugs. But that said I stand firm that it is definitely a companies self-interest to listen to "all" of its customers as to what they would like to see. As my husband just said "vote with your pocketbook".
I do love how much controversy this is generating. Isn't it great we can all say what we feel?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
I prefer wood mounted stamps, and I certainly wouldn't want to see any company black-balled because they offered them. If you prefer unmounted stamps, then by all means buy them, but don't put somebody's livelyhood in jeopardy because you think they should run their business a certain way.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that companies should not offer wood, just that they give their customers a choice. If you like wood and are willing to go that way, feel free. But I prefer either unmounted that I then mount, or cling mounted. E.G. my absolutely favorite local store here in the Portland area is Peddler's Pack. They sell stamps in cling mount, clear and wood. Where is the financial disincentive for them? They even offer their own line of stamps: both woodmount and clingmount.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM

I thought I would mention to you that one of the new up and coming stamp companies advertised on this forum has a great site. I just love how it is organized and has unmounteds. Check it out: http://www.scrollswork.com/map.html
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkyjo View Post
I agree with stamping stacy, lady kestrel and wolfeyesone..I really dont think you should have posted this topic...its not fare to our friends here that are members and are related to some of the companies you have listed...I have gone to both of your profiles and neither of you have friends here..this may be why...try to be more friendly with the folks here..we are really nice and love everyones stamps..everyone needs a job...wheither its clear or rubber....just stamp up , be friendly, and create art.
Excuse me. I don't think accusations and unfriendliness make brownie points for anyone. Why are you so angry about this? No one is trying to damage people's business. But it is the American way to let companies know when they are not meeting ALL their consumer's needs.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM

I too am shocked by the rancor that this simple alternative suggestion should engender. Wether I am shy and have no friends or have many should not make me a social pariah in this forum. I do have a huge amount of Beeswax stamps and they host this site. I think that counts for something.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Primarily trees and space. When I really can't live without an image I buy it and hope like heck that it will come clean off the wood. (Kudos to Carol at Stampotique who suggested using a microwave to remove the rubber.) I have hundreds of stamps and storage is an issue. This being said, why should I pay for wood I don't want?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM

I am sorry you feel the need to project your feelings upon mine. I actually have listened to many of my more artistic stamping sisters who agreed they would love to have a voice in the kind of mounting they choose for their stamps. Many of us are in book arts and use acrylics and various mediums on our stamps. Wood is not a good solution for us.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Those are pretty strong words for a suggestion to the companies for giving us an alternative such as Beeswax and StampFrancisco. I don't see them going out of business for having such business acumen.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 PM

I absolutely agree there is a market for all types of stamps and systems. Hence the idea of a list of companies that are responsive to all their customers needs. I am currently still buying rubber and am not at all concerned with what other stampers want to buy. I just want to buy the available images I like without having to store heavy wood mounted stamps. I refer you to Tim Holtz who is a doll and he gets it big time. I already purchased many of his stamps when they were only mounted on wood. I love that he now offers rubber on cling mount and even on storage cards. This is what I call a hip responsive designer.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Voracious Reader

Seaslay,
I really don't think we misunderstood. Your first post is very clear. You are recommending sanctions against companies who don't offer what you want. Why don't you try communicating with them instead?

You mentioned environmental concerns, but the manufacturing of synthetic rubber and plastics come from petrochemicals, and those nice acrylic blocks we use for our unmounted stamps are highly toxic to produce. Shall we put those companies who offer colored pencils and paper on the B or C list as well?

Everything we do has an impact, and we have to make environmental choices every day. Using florescent light bulbs uses less energy, but they are more toxic to dispose of than the incandescent ones when they burn out. Using handkerchiefs instead of tissues reduces the impact on trees and our landfills, but washing them uses more energy.