Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Default Best Watermark technique?

Hello everyone. I have used the "Watermark" inkpads with no success. The watermark appears darker on paper right after I stamp it but then seems to dry out and it is not visible anymore. I need a permanent watermark solution.

How about stamping with grease? Anybody tried this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM

is it not visible after you tilt it...i have always used versamark watermark ink..and been using it for over 10 years now...never any problems with it..what brand are you using...and also look at your cardstock....someone told me years ago that they tried it on construction color paper..and it did what you said..it sucked it up where you couldn't see it...so do check your brands you are using..to get quality art you do need good products..i am not saying go out and buy the best, but you do need good stuff..but since i dont know the things that were used..all i can do is come up with maybe's..do let us all know what you come up with
Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkyjo View Post
is it not visible after you tilt it...i have always used versamark watermark ink..and been using it for over 10 years now...never any problems with it..what brand are you using...and also look at your cardstock....someone told me years ago that they tried it on construction color paper..and it did what you said..it sucked it up where you couldn't see it...so do check your brands you are using..to get quality art you do need good products..i am not saying go out and buy the best, but you do need good stuff..but since i dont know the things that were used..all i can do is come up with maybe's..do let us all know what you come up with
Thanks for the quick reply! It is not visible when I look straight down at it or even pick it up and look to the light. I tried Inkadinkado watermark inkpad and used it on regular white 20 lb printer paper, white 100% cotton resume paper, white 25% cotton paper.... It is visible at first but then goes away...
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM

theres your problem..your using white papers...white papers are great for embossing and resist techniques used with the watermark inks..but your not going to get the effect you want with just plain white cardstock...use it with colored cardstock and your world will re-appear...and when you get use to that you can go on to more technical things with watermark ink...lol..yes, there are a few..but you will love them all as do we all here..and do try cardstock as for papers..they are heavier in weight and will perform better with your art..have fun...hollar back at us
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Been real & been fun

You could use that paper you stamped on as a type of resist and go over it with a brayer inked in a favorite color. Just another option...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 PM

hmmmm I see... well, is there a way to get a watermark on white paper? I know grease pencil works but leaves a residue on the paper...I need to dry stamping with grease...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
StamPoor

I've just stamped a couple of images with VersaMark ink and with Top Boss clear embossing ink on some white typing paper I got from an office supply store. They show up well, but I'm going out to lunch and will check them when I get home to see if they are still visible.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

I often stamp the back of my cards with watermark method (versamark) so they will not bleed through to the inside esp if I am not layering the papers inside my card. Then I will lightly dip a cotton swap in a chalk and gently brush it over the versamark to make it show up esp on white cardstock.
I imagine the other option you could consider is to get something like Memento London Fog and stamp your stamp and off stamp it and stamp it a second time on your project therefore getting a subtle but slightly colored image that is permanent and will not likely fade?
This would require a little trial and error but may give you more satisfactory results?
Good luck
Spideycindy
Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM
StamPoor

Okay... Results of watermark "test" - 4 hours later, the Top Boss embossing ink does not show up; however, the VersaMark images show up very well. I wonder if the problem is with your ink brand rather than your paper. It might be worth investing in a VersaMark pad which I've seen at craft stores like Michael's and you could use a coupon, too. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM

thank you stampoor, thats the brand that i use and would never use any other...i tried when i first started stamping many years ago...but they were not as superior as the versamark brand watermark ink..or maybe they were just too old..i dont know...but i haven't had any bad results since i started using versamark brand years ago. i think she will go out and buy it...its worth the purchase and its about the same price.