Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Question H20s Storage?

My seethrough container is no longer big enough to store my twinks, especially after more virtual convention damage. I need to be able to either see the colors in the pots or my scrap paper with the colors on the top (love the contrasting black tops, perfect!).

Short of asking hubby to try to put together something with plexiglass, does anyone have any storage suggestions?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 AM

I have mine sitting in a drawer upside down along with all my glitters and radiant pearls (all upside down). I went to IKEA and bought two Alex drawer systems and it is perfect for crafting because the drawers are not deep.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 AM
stampin stacy

I have my in a tray/box which sits on a shelf within arms reach when I'm stamping. It won't hurt them to sit out without cover and is actually better. I have taken all my lids off and leave them off so they can dry and won't mildew or get mold. Because I'm a little paranoid, I did not just throw away all the lids like I've heard recommended at conventions but put them all in a zip lock and put them away in a drawer , " in case I need them ".

This way all my H2O's are together when I need them (all the time ) and I can see which color is which. Without the hassle of trying to go back later to put on lids and put them up after they are dry. I don't know about you but that never happened anyway, if I don't put something away right then and there it doesn't get put away.

I've been doing this for quite a while and it hasn't hurt them a bit.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
stampin stacy

By the way, a question I've gotten a lot when I've done the make-n-take demos for Stamp La Jolla is: "Can I use H2O's on glossy cardstock?".

These are by nature a watercolor medium and therefore should be used on regular porous surfaces, that is the technically "correct" answer.

However, when in doubt experiment, what have you got to lose. I have in fact used them on both glossy cardstock & glossy photo paper, boy oh boy do they shine and shimmer. Keep in mind that you need to use a light hand though (not too much water) our you will warp or bubble the paper. Also on photo paper an odor is emitted so only do in a well ventilated area and wash your brush out right away to get out any chemicals from the paper.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Inky the Muse

I keep mine in Jumbo SU! stamp boxes. 5 of them sorted by color. With my furbabies, I can't leave them out with the lids off overnight for them to dry out, so storing them on their lids doesn't work. I tried it and the paint ends up stuck to the lid & threads of the jar. I don't like it that way.

One of these days soon I'm going to put a white sticker dot on each of the solid black lids & paint it for reference.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
stamplajolla

I use my Twinkling H2Os all the time and I do not use the lids. If I had to take the lids off and put them back on every time I used them, I don't think I'd use them much.

I store mine in the acrylic picture frames that you can buy in any craft store or large discount store. When you buy these frames they have cardboard backs on them and I just throw those away. They aren't too deep, so they work well for the little pots of paint.

I have mine in two 11x14 trays but you can get these in 5x7 or 8x10...whatever works for you. I put one tray on top of the other and then keep a piece of cardboard over the top tray to keep the dust out. If you have inquisitive animals, I guess you could keep the tray in a drawer unit when not in use.

I have mine arranged by color, so it's really easy to see which one I need at a quick glance.

MaryAnn
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
StamPoor

Just to clarify, please, do I understand that you really store your Twinks in open jars? Don't they dry out that way? I know they are "dry" to begin with until you add some water, but it never would have occurred to me to store them without their lids. I have to agree with MaryAnn that it is such a pain to take the lids off and put them back on each time and is part of the reason I never use mine. If I can store them in the acrylic photo frames (I love those and use them for my stamps, my tiny ink pads. and all sorts of other things), that would be great.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
stamplajolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamPoor View Post
Just to clarify, please, do I understand that you really store your Twinks in open jars? Don't they dry out that way? I know they are "dry" to begin with until you add some water, but it never would have occurred to me to store them without their lids. I have to agree with MaryAnn that it is such a pain to take the lids off and put them back on each time and is part of the reason I never use mine. If I can store them in the acrylic photo frames (I love those and use them for my stamps, my tiny ink pads. and all sorts of other things), that would be great.
Yes, I store mine in open jars...I just cover the tray with a piece of cardboard, and yes, they do "dry out", but they are a dry cake of paint when you start and all that is "drying" is the water which you have added is evaporating. When you return to them, it will be just like the first time you used them. I usually mist mine a little before I paint. Those little mini misters are perfect for that or you can just put a drop or two of water in the jar of paint before starting.

I think you will find them much easier to grab and use, if you don't have to mess with all of those lids.

MaryAnn
Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM
stampin stacy

Almost everything I stamp ends up with some twinkly H2O on it, I use them all the time and store them without lids. A little goes a long way and the last thing I want to do is have to throw any of them away because they got moldy, ick. So no lids for me, like MaryAnn said the only thing evaporating is the water you added.

I use mine too often for dust to be an issue either .
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
StamPoor

Well, I'll be darned... you CAN teach an old dog (or old lady) new tricks I think MaryAnn is right; I'll be more inclined to use my Twinks if they're more accessible. Back when I was teaching cooking classes, I always told my students to keep their kitchen tools as available as possible because they would be more likely to use them. Now I can apply that advice to my Twinks. Thank you all for the tip.