Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 AM
stampin stacy

Default new tool for cleaning stamps

I need to get a pic and figure out how to host it to this thread but decided to share anyway.

I was at Walgreen's recently and found a giant toothbrush. Its the store brand and not very expensive but the head on it is twice the size of a regular toothbrush. Its supposed to help you brush twice as fast , yeah right. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even fit in my mouth, HOWEVER, it's the greatest stamp scrubber.

love finding new tools, cheap!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 AM
fadedpaperrose11

Stamps on the brain , that's what you've got miz stacy!

Creative lady! Great idea!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
stmpstone

Stacey, I got an electric tooth brush with a coupon and really cheap. I use that on my stamps that need something extra. Once somebody left Brillance ink dry on the stamp. I think I worked on it for half an hour but got it clean with that tooth brush. I wish it came in a double size. I leave it sitting on the counter in guest bathroom. I wonder if non stampers who visit and use that bathroom are thinking that black toothbrush is mine. lol I also have some JudiKins solvent cleaner in a spray bottle on that counter with it. I have stamping stuff in every room here. It's gotten that bad.

I've had my nice Samsonite luggage in our closet. Well, that's going out to the garage and where I had that, I've stuffed all my Christmas stamps in an old suitcase and I'll hide that in my bedroom. Do you think Bob will notice? With Nevada heat I don't want the stamps in the garage during the summer. I know the heat won't hurt the stamps but it will probably melt the cushion.

hugs, Claudia
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpstone View Post
Stacey, I got an electric tooth brush with a coupon and really cheap. I use that on my stamps that need something extra. Once somebody left Brillance ink dry on the stamp. I think I worked on it for half an hour but got it clean with that tooth brush. I wish it came in a double size. I leave it sitting on the counter in guest bathroom. I wonder if non stampers who visit and use that bathroom are thinking that black toothbrush is mine.
I do pretty much the same thing only I alternate the brushes from my one to the stamp one. I had a consignment stamp that was covered with Stazon, gold paint & glitter. I started with getting rid of the glitter & paint using the brush & pre soaking just the rubber by carefully making up a solution of baby shampoo & water. I used a drinking straw & slowly guided the solution all over the stamp while it was laying rubber up. I let it sit for 15 min. & then used the TB on it, got off most of the glitter & paint when I rinsed. Repeated the same process on it again & got all the paint off on the 2ed try. Now on to the Stazon, I put down a layer of Stazon remover while the stamp was laying rubber up & let it sit another 15 min. Back to the TB, got almost all of it off, repeated & it has a slight staining. I'm willing to work on a stamp if it is a really good one. I just don't like the potential of ink carryover onto another project.
I just love my EL TB! ~C8>
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Fliss

I started off with a Toothbrush but now all I ever use is a Nail brush! The best thing since sliced bread for rubber stamp cleaning! My preference is the wood backed finger grooved type.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
I wonder if non stampers who visit and use that bathroom are thinking that black toothbrush is mine
I've wondered the same thing about the one I have in our spare bathroom . Surely they can figure it out, they know we're stampers.

Alsmouse, I have a plastic tray that I sometimes put a little bit of cleaner in and then leave the stamps to soak face down. That way I don't have to worry about the cushion or the wood.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
stampin stacy

Quote:
now all I ever use is a Nail brush
that's exactly what using this over sized toothbrush is like, I can really get down into the little crevices with it.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

Inky rubber has never bothered me... just clean them on baby wipes and blot them but I HATE when people use my stamps and get ink all over the wood!
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/

Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampo View Post
I HATE when people use my stamps and get ink all over the wood!
That's why I 'seal' the wood before I use them with a coating of varnish. It'a a PITA but I never have to worry about color carry over if someone gets ink on the wood. It just wipes off with the rest of the ink. ~C8>
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Inky the Muse

I've resigned myself to the fact that stamps that get put out for camps & workshops will never look the same again. Most of the ladies are pretty good about not getting ink everywhere & cleaning the stamps, but there have been some who for the life of 'em could not grasp the concept of craft/pigment ink having a sponge pad & to NOT smash the stamp into these pads like one can with the felt dye ink pads. I have one stamps that even after bleaching the wood block is still pink. It used to be red from craft ink getting smooshed half way up the sides of the block. If I don't want a stamp to get messed up, I don't put it out to play.