Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrimasgarden View Post
My favourite stamping mag is Craft Stamper from the UK, but here in Australia I get the Australian Cardmaking, Stamping & Papercraft magazine. A bit of everything but for purely stamping I can't go without my UK one.
It is amazing you mentioned the UK magazine Craft Stamper. I had just heard of it myself and was interested to know if it was a good one. Now I will check it out.
Thanks
Seaslay
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 AM
berrimasgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaslay View Post
It is amazing you mentioned the UK magazine Craft Stamper. I had just heard of it myself and was interested to know if it was a good one. Now I will check it out.
Thanks
Seaslay
I haven't been stamping for very long Seaslay. When I started cardmaking about 2 years ago, I swore I would never get into the whole stamp thing, but, I bought a couple of flourish stamps and the rest is history. I jumped in boots and all and am now quite addicted to them. Ink pads come in a close second lol. I like the Craft Stamper because it has alot of techniques that are all new to me, and as I can't get to any classes or workshops, this magazine is my main source of information and ideas. I do however try and research on the internet when I see a product that I have no idea about, so I go straight to the source on the net and study it there. Maybe for stampers who have been at it for quite sometime, Craft Stamper may be a bit basic and non challenging, but for me it is excellent.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM

I, too, learned techniques through the internet and RSM articles. I got into stamping as a way to raise funds for my youngest daughter's trip to the Netherlands for soccer. (Yes, we want your support but you have a fun, handmade product!) The only way I could learn fast was searching online. Unfortunately it was a very wet spring and most of the outside fairs were rained out! It still took me two years to recycle or throw away those first cards. . .

Since then I've managed to take a few classes, attend some conventions to do and see make and takes which make the techniques much more real for me. There is something about the doing and learning with and through yours and others mistakes that just seems to create even more magic!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
StamPoor

Even though I've been stamping for 13 years, every now and then, I still enjoy picking up an issue of some stamping magazine that appeals to me, including the relatively simple ones. They prod my memory about techniques I used long ago but no longer think about, and sometimes there is a new twist to make an old technique fresh again.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Inky the Muse

No matter how 'basic' or 'simple' a magazine or web article about stamping is, there's always something new to learn! The same goes for swaps, classes & demonstrations in stores or at conventions.

I've been stamping for almost 9 years & have been a SU! demo for almost 6 years & I'm still learning new tips & techniques all the time. I think if I ever get so jaded that I stop paying attention 'cause I think there's nothing left to learn that I should throw myself under a train or something & be done with it. My brain is just going to atrophy & fall out anyway if I'm not constantly stimulating it with new stamping info.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 AM
berrimasgarden

I agree totally Inky.I did decorative painting for 10 years and there was always new techniques to learn.(I am now finding the same with stamping and cardmaking, I can't learn enough) In that 10 years, there were times that weren't so great with one thing or another but I found that in those times I would concentrate on my craft. It actually saved my sanity on a few occasions.I believe everyone needs something for themselves especially when times get tough, you can take yourself off to that, even just for a little while, and that "little while" can be the difference between staying sane or really losing the plot.
NOW...On a lighter note....I think my kids think I lost the plot a long time ago
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Inky the Muse

I'm not sure my life ever had a plot!

I do know that if I can't get my creative time I get rather grinchy & unpleasant to be around. For me it's a need like air to breathe, water to drink etc. It took me quite a few years to figure this out too. Now I make sure I get some crafting time in everyday when possible & at least a couple of times a week. We all know how it goes...If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Been real & been fun

I have some issues of Rubber Stamper, an issue of Stamper's Sampler and several issues of RSM. I've also several SU catalogs. RSM is by far my favorite. They have something I just am aching to get more into - scene stamping. It's just so intriguing. I've done a little, but I definitely want to do more. There's also another type of stamping I want to do, but I don't know what it's called.

I love RSM's articles too. They just have something that the others don't. One thing that I have noticed is that they aren't so cutesy, which appeals to me. And they give the details that I need to succeed in what I want to achieve.

My mags are old though - 2006 and early 2007. I am thinking about just getting an RSM subscription. I haven't completely decided.

Anyway, for what that's worth...!

Last edited by TheAfricanQueen; 05-01-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 AM

Default Favorite stamp magazine

[QUOTE=TheAfricanQueen;...I love RSM's articles too. They just have something that the others don't. One thing that I have noticed is that they aren't so cutesy, which appeals to me. And they give the details that I ..![/QUOTE]

The current issue (May 2009) of Vamp Stamp News has a great article on "Using masking to create backgrounds, scenes, and layered card designs". It is very helpful.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:20 AM
stampin stacy

TheAfricanQueen, RSM is the only mag I subscribe to and have for a number of years.

Quote:
One thing that I have noticed is that they aren't so cutesy
so thats why I love this mag so much.....