Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Default Die-Cut Tips & Techniques

There is so much we can do with die-cuts! Let's share Tips & Techniques for incorporating die-cuts in our art. I hope you will feel free to share what you are doing with yours.

We have a separate thread for EMBOSSING FOLDERS and invite you to join us here:
http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=4946
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
paperaddict

I used my Cricut to cut 2 sets of 2 bears. 1 set was slightly...very slightly larger.
I used the larger set CUT OUT OPENING. And the smaller set the CUT BEAR. Placed them inside the Cricut blank folder created for this purpose and it worked. Just make sure you use 2 or 3 thick cardstock layers to make your positive and negative sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-08_10-15-57_904.jpg (23.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 AM

My tip. How to make your own Nestabilities and get the embossed look. I am doing this from memory. If I make a mistake let me know.

You do need an electronic die cuter or templates with this one.

In your electronic cutter software program lay out your Nestie shape. Make another copy and size it just a bit smaller inside the original shape. Choose how small you want it too look. The look your going for is a frame. Cut your shape with your software. Delete the inner shape in your software and finish cutting the outer shape. If you don't have an electronic die cutter just do the above steps in your favorite graphic program and print the template.

Sandwich for your Faux nesties.

A Plate
C Plate
Thin chipboard the size of your plates- This will be your spacer.
Rubber Embossing Pad- Can use plumber's gasket.
Die Cut Outer Shape
Die Cut Frame
B Plate

Run it through your machine. Now you have a beautiful embossed Faux Nestie. I do this technique all the time. I don't have any example up yet though, i am sorry.

Notes: If this sandwich is too thick substitute C plate with B plate and and another cardboard shim on top of the other one. I use this recipe when using thicker cardstock. Vellum embosses very pretty with C plate.

Each CB is configured differently so you will have to play with your shims and plates until you get the perfect recipe for your machine. My above recipe is a good start.

How to find Nestie shapes you can cut: Lots of Nestie SVG's on the Internet. Penny Duncan also has beautiful files. If you own a Cricut- Lacy Labels is a gold mine for faux Nesties. It's a retired Solutions cartridge but you can still find a few in your WalMart clearance aisle.

Last edited by lylacfey; 01-09-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Thought you all would find this youtube video interesting. She uses a die-cut to on a piece of hard plastic to make a stencil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cscde...feature=relmfu
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Wouldn't this be fun to make as background for ATCs?!
Everyone is invited to join the bi-monthly Technique ATC swaps!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
stampin stacy

I overheard a lady at the convention complaining to a vendor about what a pain it is to get all the little bit of paper out of some of the nestie designs and the vendor suggested giving the die a good tap/whack on the side of a trash can.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Lovett View Post
Thought you all would find this youtube video interesting. She uses a die-cut to on a piece of hard plastic to make a stencil.
I make stencils with my CB. That's one of my favorite techniques. I know I need to make a gallery. I use acetate from packages too for stencil making. I also use stencil material. You can buy sheets of it at WalMart in the paint section. You can buy bigger sheets in your craft stores. I run a lot of mixed media through my die cutters.

I have another technique idea for you all.

Emboss Felt:

Brush a layer of ModPodge on one side of felt.
Let Dry
Place the felt in an embossing folder and run it through your die cutting machine. Make sure the folder fits tightly in the machine so you will get a nice deep result.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Emboss Felt:

Brush a layer of ModPodge on one side of felt.
Let Dry
Place the felt in an embossing folder and run it through your die cutting machine. Make sure the folder fits tightly in the machine so you will get a nice deep result.
Which side does the ModPodge side go against, the positive or the negative? Thanks for the tip, I have some neat ideas for Holiday gifts using it.
~C8>
Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmouse View Post
Which side does the ModPodge side go against, the positive or the negative? Thanks for the tip, I have some neat ideas for Holiday gifts using it.
~C8>
It doesn't matter which side. You just want it stiff. I usually glue the positive side. If your using gloss Mod Podge you would probably want to glue the positive side.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 AM
Goldfinger

Does anyone on this forum carve their own stamps?

Robert