Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Stamp Talk (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "A" list for rubber stamp companies (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=3896)

Stampo 08-03-2010 06:10 PM

Call it what you want but it's not rubber stamping... one of the reasons I like and support Rubberstampmadness is that they're just about the only stamping resource out there for us purists... I have PrintShop, Instant Artist, etc. and can create cards with images in any size I want... but it's not stamping and neither are digital stamps and I don't consider a card made with layers of die cuts rubber stamping either... so my point is to clarify that they're NOT rubber stamps... and I think they're priced way too high at $3 or so for a single image... and I also think the companies offering their stamps on cling mounted are charging as much as we charge for wood mounted stamps and as far as the environment goes, wood is a renewable resource and it's what paper is made from and we all have far more paper than we need.

strvingartistmp 08-03-2010 07:00 PM

No, its not rubber stamping. If I was going to put a label on it I would put it in the realm of paper crafting and card making. Most of the time you will find that when in the hands of a stamper once the images are printed they are cut out and used just like a rubber stamped image. Printer ink, stamp pad ink, it's still ink on paper.

Maybe you can't do all the fun effects that you can with rubberstamps and ink pads. You sacrifice those effects, but you gain the ability to resize. It's a fair trade. It's just like clear vs. red rubber, you sacrifice indestructibility and slightly lower costs, but you gain self adhesion and see-thru stamping.

When I first started seeing all the "paper craft" cards done with rubber stamps I wasn't crazy about the style. You know the ones that are covered with beautiful papers, die cuts, ribbons and other embellishments...and then on the top you would see one stamped image. To me they looked prefabricated and most did not show off the stamps to their full potential. The stamps take a backseat to all the embellishments. I called them the "place any stamp here" cards because you could literally pop off that one stamped image and add just about any other stamped image in its place.

However, I have to say that they have really grown on me. Now I can appreciate the effort that goes into these creations. You still do need imagination and some talent to make a super WOW card. You also need a good eye when you are combining products like pattern papers and stamps. It's not as easy as it looks.

I think that given the popularity of scrapbooking in comparison to popularity of rubber stamping you are going to see a lot more cross over. I also think it is good for our hobby because it brings in new crafters.

seaslay 08-03-2010 08:28 PM

Magenta has changed

I just thought I would mention that Magenta stamps have now gone modern. They are offering all three choices of mounting: unmounted, cling and wood mounted. Good for them. They made it to the "A" list.

freefairies 08-03-2010 08:44 PM

:clap::clap:you are right on Stampo! I totally agree.

seaslay 08-03-2010 08:46 PM

You are right on my man! :clap:

Spideycindy 08-04-2010 09:27 PM

I will admit when I first read this post I was more than a little fired up. Having read over many of the posts I think I get what you are saying. I also think it is safe to say that not all wood mounts are equal in quality. I have one that keeps falling off it's adhesive and it begs to be um which is ok with me. On the other hand once in a while you will run into a company that takes total pride in the stamps that are not only designed but are fabricated and lovingly mounted on hand rubbed maple blocks. They were designed not only to produce art but ARE a work of art and true craftsmanship. This particular company will never go um and in fact as a business, this is a rare and beautiful thing.
I think it is safe to say we all love rubber stamping and find our own path and I will buy what I like and probably over purchase from time to time but I love this art and love all the vendors here. I am mindful of space and I also appreciate a true work of art when I hold it lovingly in my hands. It is a beautiful thing!
I have no problem with your opinion, belief, and desires. Nor would I find offense in anyone wanting to be passionate in persuing companies to offer choices. I would, however, be very upset should you post anything mean or harmful towards the wonderful vendor members here should they happen to be a mounted company only and I think that may be what has riled up some feathers :confusion:
I say welcome to RSC and check out the boards and lets get stamping!

Stampo 08-04-2010 09:47 PM

The stamps take a backseat to all the embellishments. I called them the "place any stamp here" cards because you could literally pop off that one stamped image and add just about any other stamped image in its place.

I love this and it's so true!

seaslay 08-04-2010 10:36 PM

well thought out reply. Let's all get stamping!

Renee 08-05-2010 07:04 AM

Stampo, I agree with you about embellishments seemingly being the focus on many cards. Personally, I usually use more subtle embellishments, so as to not distract from the stamp(s). That's my preferred style. Hey, though, sharing different ideas is what RSC is all about, IMHO.

Stampo 08-05-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee (Post 86982)
Stampo, I agree with you about embellishments seemingly being the focus on many cards. Personally, I usually use more subtle embellishments, so as to not distract from the stamp(s). That's my preferred style. Hey, though, sharing different ideas is what RSC is all about, IMHO.

LOL, Renee... but it's called Rubber Stamp Chat not Embellishment Chat or DieCut Chat or Digital Stamp Chat... those are other "art" forms and there are paper craft forums for such things. Just as RubberStampMadness is about the art of rubber stamping, there are other magazines about paper crafting and altered books and the like... jes' sayin'...