Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Enamel Float Technique (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=3958)

Deb Lovett 08-29-2010 04:57 PM

Enamel Float Technique

2 Attachment(s)
The Enamel Float Technique is very similar to the Nail Polish Technique, but we are using Testors Enamel Paints. You or your children might already have some of these paints for painting models. This is a fun, but mess technique --you may want to wear gloves. I'd love to see what you do with the Enamel Float Technique.

Enamel Float Technique

Work in a well-ventilated area!!
-Pour about 1" of water in a disposable metal pie tin.
-Gently pour the Enamel Paint on to the surface of the water.
-Lay regular cardstock on top of the paint, then carefully lift up. You may get a couple backgrounds before needing to add more paint.
-Let dry and use as a background.

Below Top: Black Enamel Paint on white cardstock
(This bottle of enamel paint was "old" and thick, and poured in a stringy-like way.)
If you don't like the coverage, you can add more paint to the water and scoop up some of the paint. Notice the 3rd example, bottom right corner for an example of scooped paint.

Below Bottom: Silver Enamel Paint on black cardstock
(This paint was new and poured quickly and pooled on the water.)

Deb Lovett 08-29-2010 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used the Silver Enamel Float on black cardstock for this ATC. The beautiful geisha is from OnyxXpressions. I finally had the courage to add color with chalks (wayyyy out of my comfort zone).

TheAfricanQueen 08-29-2010 08:21 PM

Wow, girl! You are the technique master of all! I still have to try the nail polish technique, but this is beautiful too!

Deb Lovett 08-29-2010 09:19 PM

Thanks, AQ. I think "Technique" is my middle name. LOL.

TheAfricanQueen 08-29-2010 09:23 PM

So, you gonna change your user name to Deb 'Tech' Lovett?

Deb Lovett 08-29-2010 09:26 PM

Funny!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen (Post 90996)
So, you gonna change your user name to Deb 'Tech' Lovett?

TheAfricanQueen 08-29-2010 09:27 PM

Then you could 'up' your story line over on your other thread!

Spideycindy 08-30-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb Lovett (Post 90922)
I used the Silver Enamel Float on black cardstock for this ATC. The beautiful geisha is from OnyxXpressions. I finally had the courage to add color with chalks (wayyyy out of my comfort zone).

Wow Deb those are lovely results and I like the touch of color very much! So glad you suggested this. I will have to revisit the testor paints only much less water and maybe a pie tin afterall....
I can see some wonderful Halloween cards from this technique as well! And yes rubber gloves are a good idea!

Spideycindy 08-30-2010 08:39 PM

I wonder if construction paper would be able to hold up and work as well? Sometimes the good old construction paper has great results with bleach. More things to play with I am thinking. The mat of construction and the slick of enamel...hmm.......Could be interesting to try.

TheAfricanQueen 08-30-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spideycindy (Post 91180)
I wonder if construction paper would be able to hold up and work as well? Sometimes the good old construction paper has great results with bleach. More things to play with I am thinking. The mat of construction and the slick of enamel...hmm.......Could be interesting to try.

The weight of construction paper doesn't seem to be as heavy as, say, 80 pound cardstock. It may just dissolve in the water. But then, if it did, you could take cardstock and put that under the water to see what you would come up with...IMHO