Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Stamp Talk (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Organization Junkie? (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=3599)

Theresagram 02-24-2010 06:54 PM

Organization Junkie?

Ok, I admit it...I can be a little...anal about organization. That's not a bad thing. I just like to be able to find things.

Here's my current...issue. I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out where to put certain stamps. Do you all have this problem?

I have among my many binders full of stamps; a binder with all my western stamps and a binder with all my trees, bushes and grass. I'm trying to decide if I should put my cactus in with the trees. Ok, that's not a really hard one, I think I'm going to keep them with the western. Since most cactus aren't indiginous to areas outside the southwest...and saquaros aren't even indiginous to areas outside the 'greater Phonenix area + about 50 miles or so'.

But I guess my question is, how do some of you decide where to put some of your stamps. I know I'll always have a misc binder or two. But any thoughts would be welcome.

Ok, I'm rambling, it was a bad day at work. Sorry, don't pay any attention to me.

Hey, do you split up sets to put something with something similar?

stampin stacy 02-24-2010 07:04 PM

:noway:, you do sound like you're having a bad day, first DEEP breath and a glass of wine (or something stronger) is needed.

I don't have near the number of stamps you do so I can get by with more generic classifications at this point: Men, Women, Botanical, Southwestern, Birthday, etc.

What stamps are you trying to classify? We're really good at suggestions, now whether they are good ones or not...... :confusion: you'll have to be the judge of :noway:

I'll bet Inky will have some suggestions since she has so many to keep up with.....

Spideycindy 02-24-2010 08:22 PM

Don't shoot me but I still keep them by mfgr....at least the newer ones I have been getting in um's.
Ugh....is that wrong?

Inky Whiskers 02-24-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacy (Post 71480)
I'll bet Inky will have some suggestions since she has so many to keep up with.....

:)) :)) :))

I tend to sort like with like & by theme. For example:

Balloons, bows, packages, confetti, party hats, critters holding or wearing any of the above along with Happy b-day related inny & outie phrases all go under the main catagory of 'birthday', but each type of thing is on it's own page(s) in the binder & thus in it's own baggie in the b-day drawer.

It really is a subjective thing to decide what goes with what, but the key is to be consistant. I had to divide my 'people' catagory twice. First I split babies, kids, women & men (in various general poses w/phrases) from specific people & things they do. Then I had to split my 'people too' (famous folks, Alice in Wonderland characters, goddesses etc) from 'people do' (people doing jobs, hobbies etc.) becasue they no longer fit in one drawer (Thanks to Stampo & his highly addictive grab bags! :lol: ). Example:

Elvis & other famous musicians have their own pages & baggies under 'people too', but musical instruments and non-specific musicians are catagorized as 'music' in the 'people do' section. I used to store them together, but they outgrew the gallon size zip bag that I kept them in & if a catagory out grows the gallon size bag, I sub-divide it & maybe even move it to another drawer.

The point is to be able to find the stamp you want to use when you want to use it & it is handy to have stamps that work together stored together. A storage system has to be efficient to the person using it AND be flexible as your usage changes over the years as well as being able to expand your collection w/o have to knock a wall out first.

Personally, I keep my cacti with my other plants under 'landscape' & my cowboys & other western themed stamps under 'people do'. But that's what works for me. :D

Inky Whiskers 02-24-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spideycindy (Post 71499)
Don't shoot me but I still keep them by mfgr....at least the newer ones I have been getting in um's.
Ugh....is that wrong?

If it works for you & you can find the stamp you want when you want it, then NO, it's not wrong! :noway:

I keep my current SU! & LIWP stamps separate from everything else & those stamps are on their own pages at the front of any section they fit in my binders. While there are general storage systems available, each person needs to adjust how they store anything to how their brain works to keep track of info. What works for me won't work for everybody & what works for somebody else may not work for me. The reason we all share how we keep track & store our stamps is so that others can glean nuggets of info that will work for them & come up with a customized system that works in their space with their brain. It doesn't really matter if somebody else can't find something in YOUR crapht space. They should ask first & not go poking around in YOUR stuff! :))

(anybody ever want to set up mouse traps in their adhesive supply to keep kids & hubby from just grabbing something at random to stick something together then putting it back all messy or used up? :eyeroll:)

dnelsong 02-24-2010 09:56 PM

Wait, organization is an addiction??? :)) Ah oh.

I think the key is working to not out-guess yourself. Filing systems all depend on the brain of the person who has to retrieve the information (the stamp category, in this case). If you work too hard at identifying the category, you may "forget" where you put the stamp. I agree with what others have already said, any particular stamp really should go in the category you believe is most logical for YOUR brain.

Debra

Theresagram 02-25-2010 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I know it's a subjective thing organizing your stamps, I was just looking for those nuggests Inky mentioned. I love my organization system, it works for me. But...sometimes I sit and puzzle over some of my stamps.

The categories for my binders are;

Women
Winged Things
Men
Fishy Things
Couples/kids/babies
Animals/Bugs
Western
Religious/Angels/Crosses
Scenery
Trees/bushes/grass
Misc sets
Games/Chess People/Funky People
Autumn/Halloween
Holidays
ATC's
Mardi Gras/Jesters
Borders/Backgrounds/Textures
Tropical/Drinks/Pirates
Quotes
Text/words/numbers
Alpha set
Design Elements
Bikes/Tools
Misc.

And I have a lot of misc. That's where I'm trying to figure out a little more organization. And just wondering 'what you do' kind of thing to get my brain working better on this. I know where most of my stamps are quick. My binders are color coded and labled in the above categories. It's the ones that are in the misc ones that I have to poke thru a bit.

I have so many random images; a couple of light bulbs, a telephone, feathers, a few aliens, etc, etc. And then I have a lot of transportation items, hot air balloon, cars, boats, etc that I don't have enough to fill a binder. AND, this doesn't even count all the stamps I still have on wood blocks in drawers waiting to join their brethren in binders.

I guess more specifically I should have asked how does everyone organize their misc stamps. Stuff they don't have that many off. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard.

Inky Whiskers 02-25-2010 02:11 PM

My misc section is like yours in that it has stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else, yet. Things like 'time' (calendars, clocks & related words), money, game pieces (those might go under 'people do' but they've been in 'misc' so long I'm used to finding those images in that drawer), commercial characters (Dr. Suess, Disney etc tho' they could go in 'people too')

I did notice a few options from what you listed:

1) feathers could go with birds under animals, especially if the feather is for a specific type of bird you have images of. (this is where I keep mine)
2) light bulbs & telephones could go under tools if you expand the catagory to include things you use around the house (I keep those 2 groups under domestic)
3) I keep aliens with my celestial imags, but they could go in your funky people catagory.
4) I keep my modes of transport under travel/vacation

Here's my list of catagories from my binders. I don't color code, but it works for me all the same. :lol:

Binder #1
alphabets
backgrounds, frames & borders (including stamp wheels that have shapes & textures)
holidays (I split this group to fit in drawers i.e. New Year's, Mardi Gras, Valentine's are all together; St Pat's & Easter; mom, dad, 4th of July & Thanksgiving; Halloween; Christmas)
occasions (this one got split into birthdays & other occasions with their own drawers, but I still have them in the same binder section with b-day in the front)
postal/stamper
seasonal (spring, summer, fall are together in one drawer, winter has its own drawer)
words & phrases (kind, happy, mad, crazy & wierd; if it doesn't fit in another catagory, it goes here)

Binder #2
animals (anything not a domestic cat or farm related, each animal has it's own page(s) & goes in it's own bag in 1 of 2 drawers)
cats
celestial (suns, moons, stars, planets & aliens)
cultural (international groupings i.e. France, Egypt, South American/Hispanic etc.)
farm (pigs, cows etc along with bales of hay, farm tools & buildings)
food (if you can eat it, it's in here along with grocery shopping & restaurant related images)
garden (gardening tools & words, flowers grouped by type or season if there aren't enough of any one type for it's own page)
misc (stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else...yet)
mythical (critters & beings that only exist in fiction i.e. dragons, fairies etc)
USA (Native American as well as some states that I have enough images to have their own page like WA, HI, AK, NY, NV, the rest are on one page & stored in one bag)

Binder #3
domestic (houses, furniture, kitchen, bathroom, computers etc)
people (babies, kids women, guys & naughty)
art dolls & body parts (this includes clothing & related words)
people too (famous folks, police & firemen, godesses; more specific than 'people')
people do (jobs, hobbies, addictions & sports)
scenic land (trees, leafy plants, cacti & dessert, rocks)
scenic water (beach, palm trees, people at the beach, sea life)
travel/vacation (planes, trains, cars, camping, hiking etc.)

Does this help Thersa! Lots of nuggets here, enough to make up a Mickey D's family pack at least. :))

I've adjusted as needed over the years & I'm again getting to the point of needing to go drawer by drawer & page by page to look at reorganizing a few things as well as pulling close duplicates to sell. I'm fine with having the same or nearly the same image in several sizes, but I don't really need 2 of something in the same size unless they are really different styles or face different directions. Especially if one of them is part of a retired wood mounted SU! set & the other is um. The SU! sets have more re-sale value than most ums. I'm SO glad they're offering the option of cling mount in dvd cases! I can fit about twice as many of those cases in the drawers than the wood mount cases & many of the cling sets don't fill the dvd cases, so I can double up some sets when they retire. :D

Theresagram 02-25-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky Whiskers (Post 71534)
I did notice a few options from what you listed:

1) feathers could go with birds under animals, especially if the feather is for a specific type of bird you have images of. (this is where I keep mine)
2) light bulbs & telephones could go under tools if you expand the catagory to include things you use around the house (I keep those 2 groups under domestic)
3) I keep aliens with my celestial imags, but they could go in your funky people catagory.
4) I keep my modes of transport under travel/vacation

YES! This is what I was looking for!! I hadn't thought to put my aliens with my celestial!! That's a good idea!!

I hadn't thought of putting the feathers in with animals/birds. That's not a bad idea. They are sort of like plumes like people used to make pens with. It was actually a big stamp with like 5-7 feathers on it and I didn't think I'd ever
use it like that, but figured I would get much more use out of them as individual stamps. I do that to a lot of my stamps, cut them to make several.

I don't have any travel/vacation stamps per se. So I think the cars and things will have to stay as a section in a binder for now.

The bikes/tools are actually hubbys stamps. :) He's a cyclist and I bought him some neat cycling stamps and threw a few tools in there too. That's sort of 'his' binder. LOL But maybe I will start a binder with 'household items' including the light bulbs, phone, etc.

This has helped. I just needed someone to bouce ideas off of, kwim? Any ideas on where to put my petroglph stamps? :confusion:

Inky Whiskers 02-25-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresagram (Post 71564)
Any ideas on where to put my petroglph stamps? :confusion:

How about with any dinosaurs or cavemen you might have? Or with the native american art if it works better there?

U B most welcome! :D