Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Alcohol Ink Techniques (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=3806)

Deb Lovett 06-09-2010 08:32 AM

Alcohol Ink Techniques

1 Attachment(s)
Alcohol Inks are so versatile and there are tons of ways to use them in stamping! Please feel free to jump right in, and show us what you are doing with alcohol inks. We love learning over here!

For this background, you will need glossy cardstock, alcohol ink, silver mixative (optional) and blending solution.

Squirt blending solution on a craft sheet.
Drop 2 colors of alcohol inks (Stream and Lettuce) on blending solution.
Add silver alcohol ink mixative (shake well before using!).
Press glossy cardstock on craft sheet. Pick up, turn paper, and press again until desired coverage is achieved. (Tip: leave some white space.)
Use as a background, or stamp directly on the prepared background with archival ink.

This card is featured in Crafts 'N Things, June 2010 on-line Readers Gallery.

inkkyjo 06-10-2010 09:16 AM

oooowwwee, Deb..thats beautiful, this is my best technique to use...and i would post some, but i cant ..i am still using the library computer, so everyone else will have to take me there with their post..lol..see ya'll

Deb Lovett 06-10-2010 09:33 AM

Can't wait to see your art, Joannie. Hope you have access to your computer soon so you can scan, and we can talk to you more often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkkyjo (Post 79216)
oooowwwee, Deb..thats beautiful, this is my best technique to use...and i would post some, but i cant ..i am still using the library computer, so everyone else will have to take me there with their post..lol..see ya'll

Deb Lovett 09-01-2010 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Experimentation:

I have been saving these foil bags that coffee come in and finally had a chance to try alcohol inks on the inside silver part. You can stop right there if you'd like, for a cool background.

So what are you all doing with Alcohol Inks?

Deb Lovett 09-04-2010 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Or if desired, you can put the finished piece through the Cuttlebug (I glued it to cardstock (for stability). Bottom, left.

When finished, wash off your Cuttlebug folder with soap and water.

Bottom right: StazOn Brown swiped over the embossed image. (It took a while to dry, but it finally is.)

COSRobin 09-06-2010 09:03 PM

Loving this technique......but

What is the best ink to use to stamp over the background? I tried dye ink, but they fade when dry. Memories black stayed a little better. Do I need to invest in Stazon?

Deb Lovett 09-06-2010 10:10 PM

Welcome to our stamping community, COSRobin. I hope you will play, experiment and share your art with us.

I used archival ink in the first example at the top. I used StazOn in the metallic sample above.

Here is a great video by Tim Holtz
http://rubberstamping.about.com/gi/o...lcoholinks.htm

COSRobin 09-07-2010 11:44 AM

Thanks!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Thanks also for the advice on inks. I will need to save up for some of the archival inks or Staz on.

COSRobin 09-07-2010 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the Ranger Inks to make this card. The only color I could use to stamp on top was black with the colors being so vivid! The wild plum was more like a fushia!

Spideycindy 09-07-2010 07:10 PM

Very nice and the black really works well against the strong bold colors. I don't think any other color would have been strong enough to hold its own against the colors. Beautiful card and great job!

Deb Lovett 09-07-2010 09:01 PM

Great card, COSRobin! I agree with Spideycindy -- black is perfect.
There is a thread in the Coffee Shop area, where people are telling the stories behind their User Names. I'd be interested in hearing about yours if you'd like to tell.

Deb Lovett 09-10-2010 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a cross-post. Alcohol Ink Techniques and the Batik Technique.

Alcohol Ink Batik

- Stamp your image on glossy cardstock, using Versamark Watermark, then clear emboss.
- Add alcohol inks and blending solution to felt/applicator and pounce over embossed image.
- Place a piece of cardstock on your art and iron with a hot iron/no steam. The heat causes the cardstock to absorb the melting inky-embossing powder. (The cardstock will lift easily away from your original card when the embossing powder is melted.)

Below left: Alcohol Ink Batik
Below right: cardstock with melted inky-emboss.

COSRobin 09-11-2010 07:32 AM

Great idea....can't wait to try it!!

Robin B.

Deb Lovett 09-11-2010 09:28 AM

It is so fun. Please show us how it turns out, Robin.

Deb Lovett 10-17-2010 02:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alcohol Ink Spritz

This was fun to make. I don't know if this technique already has a name so I made one up??

Spritz glossy cardstock with Isopropyl Alcohol 91% (available at WalMart).
Apply alcohol inks to felt. (I used caramel, ginger and gold mixative.)
Pounce applicator over the spritzed cardstock.
Spray with Isopropyl Alcohol 91% and watch the bubbling action.
Use a heat tool to arrest the action.
Repeat the above steps if desired until you are happy with the background.

Top: Alcohol Ink Spritz background
Bottom: The beginning of an ATC. Horse is embossed with black embossing powder.

inkkyjo 10-18-2010 10:59 AM

deb, this also works with a gold, bronze or silver pen..i never liked the silver and gold alcohol inks..i always use a pen..but others may like it..the pen is just cheaper and last longer..which do you like ? i loved your colors..great atc
PS. I have uploaded some alcohol ink papers that i made..they are in my profile pictures folders..hope you like them

GALZART 10-20-2010 07:01 AM

Alcohol Ink ATCs

These are Alcohol Ink stamped on glossy paper stamped with Stazon.
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...une_2010_3.jpg http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...une_2010_2.jpg
The Eiffel Tower is stamped with Silver Tsukinek Brilliance ink.

Deb Lovett 10-20-2010 07:12 AM

These turned out very pretty, Galzart. Thanks for posting your art in this thread. If you'd ever like to "play" with us in the ATC technique swaps, we'd love to have you.

Bowbates 10-21-2010 01:43 PM

Mmm. Never thought about those coffee bags. I've got an almost empty bag of DD coffee too. I'll try to alcohol inks on it and let you see.

Julie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb Lovett (Post 91497)
Experimentation:

I have been saving these foil bags that coffee come in and finally had a chance to try alcohol inks on the inside silver part. You can stop right there if you'd like, for a cool background.

So what are you all doing with Alcohol Inks?

Deb Lovett 10-21-2010 09:30 PM

Himm, are you thinking "recycle," Julie?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowbates (Post 98491)
Mmm. Never thought about those coffee bags. I've got an almost empty bag of DD coffee too. I'll try to alcohol inks on it and let you see.

Julie

inkkyjo 10-24-2010 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a sample of my ALCOHOL PAPERS i made
Attachment 1594

Deb Lovett 10-24-2010 05:52 PM

Very cool, Inkkyjo. Can you give us some details? Did you use felt applicators? What did you "sling" at the 3rd one??? Thanks for showing us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by inkkyjo (Post 99057)
here is a sample of my ALCOHOL PAPERS i made
Attachment 1594

inkkyjo 10-24-2010 08:56 PM

the first 2 , i layed inks on glossy and smashed it and pulled apart and the last one was with the felt applicator..it wasn't that easy..i just kept playing with it..adding rangers alcohol solution to the alcohol ink..the gold in the first 2 papers was with a kyron gold pen..there the only ones i use..there the best and last me 2 yrs

Deb Lovett 10-24-2010 09:59 PM

This sounds violent. Are you having fun while you do it, Jo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkkyjo (Post 99180)
the first 2 , i layed inks on glossy and smashed it and pulled apart ...

inkkyjo 10-25-2010 05:27 AM

lol..lol..yes deb, i had lots of fun tring to see what kind of backgrounds i could come up with..and as you know...these look so great on atc's..and an atc makes a great card front..so it makes a fast and beautiful card to send out..cause your backgrounds are already done, all you need to do is stamp on them....wooohoooo

Bowbates 10-26-2010 01:08 PM

You bet!!

Julie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb Lovett (Post 98553)
Himm, are you thinking "recycle," Julie?

wolfeyesone 10-26-2010 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure how I will use these yet but here are a few I had made..

Deb Lovett 10-26-2010 10:40 PM

So cool! These will make great ATCs!
Isn't this fun!

Deb Lovett 12-03-2010 08:45 AM

Here is a video of Tim Holtz making ornaments using alcohol inks and canned air. No stamping involved.

http://www.rangerink.com/videos/vide...kornaments.htm

inkkyjo 12-03-2010 04:11 PM

ohh wolf..those are so pretty..there are so many looks with this technique..you just have to keep doing it..and dont throw away your glossy boo-boo's...just squirt them with the tim holts alcohol blending solution and wipe the muddy colors away and whaa-laa..you still have a glossy sheet to play with...you cant mess them up..see..if you do..you just redo them

Deb Lovett 04-17-2011 10:45 PM

Alcohol Ink Techniques

1 Attachment(s)
The description for making this background is found in Post 15.
I just discovered that this card is in the Crafts N Things on-line bonus gallery here:
http://www.craftsnthings.com/Project...derGallery.pdf

inkkyjo 04-18-2011 06:12 AM

i am teaching an alcohol class today..i will come back in all colors..lol..as much as i love working with these inks..you would think i wouldn't get messy..but i always do..lol..lol..art is fun and messy at times. thats why i love it so much

stampin stacy 04-18-2011 06:57 AM

Congrats Deb!! It's a lovely card.

Deb Lovett 04-18-2011 08:36 AM

Thanks, Stacy.

Renee 04-18-2011 10:22 AM

What a beautiful card, COSRobin! I agree with Spidey, don't think any color besides black would be strong enough against those great background colors. Personally, I tend to be basically pretty stingy when buying stamping stuff. I rarely buy anything unless it's on sale or I have a coupon. The StazOn inks that I have were purchased with 40% off coups at Joann's or Hobby Lobby, or online for 40% off at Joann's. You're gonna love being here at RSC. I have learned SO MUCH from others!

marianclare 04-28-2011 04:11 PM

responding to # 30 ....ohhh Inkkyjo, i have some of those bobo's I'll give that a try, thanks so much, I am really enjoying all these new things. need to set aside some time to try them.

inkkyjo 05-01-2011 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
heres a technique no one has done...except me of course..i am always trying to find something at home to use..and this is going to blow your mind..i made my homemade alcohol ink sprays as usual..but wanted something beside reg paper to use..so i was playing with aluminum, plastic and such.but i still wasn't happy..then the clothes dryer ringer went off..so i had to stop and fold clothes..and then i had a brain fart..lol..lol..i thought, could this be colored with my sprays..and yes..whoo laaa ..i ended up with some pretty technique stuff..so i ran cardstock thru my xyron machine and taped it to my cardstock..and begin to decorate it..here is what it looked like at first..the last image is the atc size i cut my colored papers:

Attachment 2568

Attachment 2569

inkkyjo 05-01-2011 11:12 AM

alcohol colors on dryer sheets

1 Attachment(s)
heres another color i did with my alcohol sprays on the dryer sheets..on an ATC..i just made :

Attachment 2570

Deb Lovett 05-01-2011 11:43 AM

What a neat technique, Jo! Thanks for sharing it with us.

marianclare 05-01-2011 04:15 PM

You people are amazing, I take napes on Sunday afternoon. But I am going to get busy and try some of the these ideas