Rubber Stamp Chat

Rubber Stamp Chat (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/index.php)
-   Stamp Talk (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Where have they all gone? (http://www.rubberstampchat.net/showthread.php?t=6079)

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 06:06 AM

Where have they all gone?

Back before Tim Holtz, the Big Shot and the WeRMemory Keepers envelope punch board, it seems as though the attendance here on RSC was mammoth compared with more recent times. Is the fallout from burnouts that truly dramatic? Or has life just gotten in the way? :confusion:

It's not my intention to diminish what we have here. Lord only knows what I've gone through myself! I just miss those who no longer seem to chum around with us i.e., Inkkyjo, Sassystamptress, Rubbermadness, SpideyCindy and many others too numerous to mention.

Guess I'm just venting my consternation. Did our numbers really used to be in the high three hundreds? Has stamping really diminished that much?

fab 04-11-2016 11:54 AM

No, I just think there are more blogs, Pinterest, Etsy and others vying for attention.

Renee 04-11-2016 01:20 PM

Personally, I prefer the closeness I feel here on RSC. I'm with you, AQ, and am also a tad sad, and am missing many of the others who were here when I was just beginning to stamp. I learned SO much from all of you!

fab 04-11-2016 03:15 PM

I have noticed that it is affecting some stamp companies too. Many lines have been bought by larger companies and the smaller ones are disappearing. I see it at the occasional stamp shows I get to visit.

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 05:36 PM

Renee, I can so relate. My husband used to be a gamer some years ago. It was hard on him when members decided to go their separate ways. I suppose that's the way of some bonds. It certainly doesn't make it any easier.:cry:

fab 04-11-2016 06:33 PM

As my mom aged and most of her friends passed on she said, you get new younger friends. So I guess we will have to look for more stamping friends in other venues.

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 07:22 PM

I've never met such friendly folk on other venues as I have here. It hasn't been for a lack of trying either. The RSC ambience is most unique.

Renee 04-11-2016 07:30 PM

Roberta, you are SO RIGHT! I truly feel that you gals are my friends, and wish we could easily meet up somewhere for lunch. Right before we head off to a stamp store, of course!

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 08:18 PM

Wouldn't that be a hoot! Think of the fun we'd have!

Susanlhl 04-11-2016 09:18 PM

I have found that happening to many 'static' sites, AQ. I think things like Facebook, Pintrest, Youtube, Vine, Periscope and Instagram have taken their share of attention and they are far more visual social media outlets.

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 09:42 PM

Although that may be so, I'm not at all for the big town/city feel. I have never fit into such and know I never will. There's a saying that you can take the girl from the farm but the farm can't be taken out of the girl. Forever I shall be as such.

Don 04-11-2016 09:57 PM

One of the big reasons I like papercrafting is the comradery. It's why I go to conventions, group ATC swaps, and even the craft stores. When I go to Mike's or Jo's or HL, I'll try to help someone looking for paper or ink or other supplies. If I have a coupon I'm not going to use, I pass it on.

TheAfricanQueen 04-11-2016 10:41 PM

Comraderie for me is not so easily found.

Renee 04-12-2016 02:28 PM

Don, I do many of those same things, for the same reasons. Sadly, I don't have any stamping friends in my area. I agree with AQ. All my stamping friends are cyber-friends.

TheAfricanQueen 04-12-2016 04:36 PM

Most of my friends bought stamping supplies twenty years ago or less believing they would take up the craft upon retirement. Then life happened to them and they moved on to other things: mates, grandchildren, etc. Although my mentor still stamps, her only availability are Wednesdays which everyone seems to vie for including our office help. I rely on RSC so that I can have any resemblance of chumminess.

Stampo 04-12-2016 07:38 PM

There are many active stamping groups on Facebook and you can show your stamped art instantly... discussion and swaps are ongoing. For example... and there's even one for male stampers amongst the many groups on stamping.

TheAfricanQueen 04-12-2016 07:45 PM

Appreciate your suggestion Stampo but Facebook just doesn't set well with me.

Stampo 04-13-2016 02:14 PM

Facebook is my life... since I'm confined to bed, it keeps me active. I have 14 interest groups that I moderate and I'm an admin on another group.

TheAfricanQueen 04-13-2016 08:34 PM

I'm delighted to see you here, Stampo! But very sad to hear you are bedridden. Should I ever decide to revisit the FB issue, I'll let you know.

Lady Kestrel 05-24-2016 09:29 AM

Yes, social media sites and portable devices have changed the way many people use the internet, but I still prefer specialized websites like this one. I also post frequently at several adventure game sites.

Theresagram 06-30-2016 04:02 PM

I'm back! :wave:

I've been dealing with vertigo for the past 8 months and haven't been doing any stamping. Just starting to feel like it again. Before the vertigo I was dealing with mono of all things! :eyeroll: At my age! Luckily, Hubs didn't get it, but I was a vegetable for MONTHS! Before I found out I had mono I kept getting bronchitis and pneumonia (from my patients) so it's been awhile since I've been really actively stamping. I've been doing physical therapy for the vertigo and it hasn't helped much, tomorrow I start acupuncture for it.

Wayne, I'm sorry to hear you have been bed ridden. I hope you get to feeling better.

Susanlhl 07-01-2016 03:49 AM

Glad you are feeling better again. Theresagram. It's good to see you posting. As you know, I enjoy your work too :)

Theresagram 07-04-2016 07:11 PM

Thanks Susan

Lady Kestrel 07-05-2016 05:04 PM

I'm sorry you haven't been well, Thereagram. I hope you can conquer the vertigo. Do you have tinnitus with it, too?

Theresagram 07-05-2016 05:46 PM

Yes I have tinnitus too. I had it before, but it's gotten worse with the vertigo. I'm hoping the acupuncture will help, but so far it's made it worse. :(

Lady Kestrel 07-05-2016 09:16 PM

It sounds like it might be Meneire's disease. My husband was diagnosed with that, but most of the symptoms subsided later in life.

Theresagram 07-07-2016 12:31 PM

They said it's not Meneire's either. Just vertigo from the crystals in my right ear are in the canal moving around.

Stampo 07-07-2016 06:48 PM

I had Meniere's in the 80s...

Elayne 07-09-2016 08:20 PM

I too had a terrible case of vertigo, it only lasted two weeks, still have to watch how I turn my head or bend over. Its such an awful feeling, I hope you get some relief soon. I took a lot of 'anti=vert' pills which really helped. They're over the counter meds.

Stampo 07-09-2016 11:56 PM

I had seasickness patches.

Theresagram 07-13-2016 05:41 PM

None of the anti-vertigo pills have worked for me at all. I had a prescription for the patches, but it was going to be $75.00 for 3 stinking patches!!! And I used them before for flying years ago and they gave me dry mouth so bad, i decided not to get them for this.

I've been going to physical therapy for months, now as I approach my 9th month of vertigo I've started acupuncture. So far, the vertigo is worse, but it is helping with my back injury from a head on collision I was in 4 years ago. (The accident was NOT my fault)