Rubberstampchat

Go Back   Rubberstampchat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

I will let you know about the new stamps. I'm still relatively new to stamping and this is my first set from Inkadinkado. I hope the new set they send me is easier to use.

I know what you mean about your hands hurting. It took me at least 15 minutes to pull off the question mark, very carefully - my hand was cramping and my fingers were sore. These are more than stuck on - it's like they're bonded with the backing. I can't imagine pulling off the whole alphabet. I think I'd need a hand transplant after that.

My Blog
The Crafty Table
Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftyria View Post
I think I'd need a hand transplant after that.
[color="Sienna"]So, have you picked your new hand yet? I understand Dr. Frank Enstein may have a few models for you to look at. Give him a call @ 1-800-477-6659
(1-800-4SPOOKY). [/COLOR]{Can you tell I'm getting into the season?}~C8>
Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 AM

Hehehehehe.

My Blog
The Crafty Table
Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Messy Stamper

I have a bunch of sets of clear stamps from Big Lots but not the Clear on Clear brand. I have PSX Clear by Design and Creative Living Network. At convention I bought clear stamps from New Stamp on the Block. Those brands are good polymer and come off easily. However, just as a warning, the Daisy Hill clear stamp set I bought from WalMart was as you described. The alphabet I got had about 1" high letters. I tore 3 letters removing them from the plastic backing. I complained to WalMart about low quality product. No response from WalMart. I should've taken them back for $15 refund but no longer had receipt by then. Have also heard the same about the Brenda Walton/Anna Griffin clear stamps offered on QVC/HSN. I have learned to only buy 1 set until you're sure that the company uses good polymer. I don't know of a way to determine beforehand if a company used the good or cruddy polymer. Anyone know?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Rubber Stamp Tapestry

Default Good polymer or silicone imitation

Some of the companies that are importing are not using photopolymer at all but use a silicone injected material. A good rule of thumb is if it is made in the US it should be good. Remember the new formula is not like the photopolymer from earlier years and it is greatly improved. Look at the back of the package and see where it is made before you buy.

Stewart Superior has some good info on their website about the good and the bad.

Here is a blurb from their website:

4. Photopolymer VS. Silicone
Imitators are now molding clear stamps using silicone or other plastics to simulate the appearance of photopolymer. The stamps are even individually formed to look like photopolymer. Silicone clear stamps are usually imported and are VERY inexpensive to manufacture. If the stamps are extremely difficult to remove from the clear backing - chances are they are silicone and not photopolymer. If you see imported, non- photopolymer stamp sets selling for prices similar to photopolymer - then you are paying way too much!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Inky the Muse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTapestry View Post
Some of the companies that are importing are not using photopolymer at all but use a silicone injected material. A good rule of thumb is if it is made in the US it should be good. Remember the new formula is not like the photopolymer from earlier years and it is greatly improved. Look at the back of the package and see where it is made before you buy.

Stewart Superior has some good info on their website about the good and the bad.

Here is a blurb from their website:

4. Photopolymer VS. Silicone
Imitators are now molding clear stamps using silicone or other plastics to simulate the appearance of photopolymer. The stamps are even individually formed to look like photopolymer. Silicone clear stamps are usually imported and are VERY inexpensive to manufacture. If the stamps are extremely difficult to remove from the clear backing - chances are they are silicone and not photopolymer. If you see imported, non- photopolymer stamp sets selling for prices similar to photopolymer - then you are paying way too much!
This is WONDERFUL info!!! Thank you for sharing it. With photopolymers still relatively new to the stamp world, finding good info about them is a challenge.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
The Cat's Pjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentia View Post
I don't know of a way to determine beforehand if a company used the good or cruddy polymer. Anyone know?
I suppose the best way is to look on the package for information on where it was made. I believe there are only 2 big companies in the US that make clear stamps for other companies. Both of these companies have developed formulas that are resistant to yellowing, stamp great, and are easy to remove from the carrier sheet. So if the packaging doesn't say where it was produced, I guess the next best thing is to do some research and contact the company. If it's made in the US, it's good to go.

Just another reason to buy American.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 AM

Thank you very much for that information!

I have some older sets of clear (small) alphabet stamps. One is from Current and I can't remember the other company. They have both yellowed, but they remove from the backing easily.

I have several sets of clear stamps from Provo Craft. They are clear, but the part that makes the imprint is black. They remove from the backing easily. In fact, it's hard to get them to stick back onto the backing once they are removed. The ones I use most barely even stick to the acrylic block. They are made in China.

I have one other set of clear stamps from The Paper Studio - Stampabilities, made in USA. They claim to be a non-yellowing polymer. They remove from the backing easily and feel very tacky to the touch.

My Blog
The Crafty Table
Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM

I appreciate Rubber Tapestry's information about the photopolymer/silicone clear stamps. (Love your peg stamps, by the way!) There's nothing like rubber stamps, but I like the clear stamps, too. Over the past couple of years, I have bought a great many of them from a large number of companies, including at least two dozen of the little Taiwan-manufactured $1.00 sets sold at Michael's, and I've had mostly good experiences with both US and foreign made products. So far, only two sets have yellowed -- one US made and the other not -- but both still stamp well. While there are differences in the degree of stickiness of the stamps, they all still peel off and stick back onto the CD cases in which I keep them. I have not had anything like the discouraging situation Ria described (whew!). My only bad experienced involved a set whose images were more detailed than the other clear stamps I've bought. They really did not stamp well and I returned them to my stamp store. I'll continue to buy clear stamps, but I shall definitely stick to rubber stamps for those detailed images.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 AM
stmpstone

Default CD Cases

I do mostly unmounted stamps and store them in the CD Jewel Cases. I buy mine in bulk from WTS and share an order with a friend so the cost is 16 cents each and I order them without the middles.

If anybody wants the web address, please e-mail me privately with WTS info in the subject line. I'm on aol using the same address as I sign on here.

Claudia in Las Vegas