Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Leaf Gazer

Default Die cutter recommendations

I just bought an A-Muse die cut set for Halloween, but I haven't yet purchased a machine. Several people I know use the Cuttlebug, but I'd like some other recommendations before I make a decision. Any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 PM

I have a Cuttlebug and a Vagabond (electric Sizzix). I think the best all around machine would be a Sizzix because of the multitude of platforms, plates and pads to facilitate the various dies and embossing plates and pads offered by the many providers.
There are many die cut machines, it's up to you to do the research. When you make up your mind on the brand, Google it to get the best price ... you should also get free shipping. I accidently found out Wally World will drop ship to local store for free shipping.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:41 AM

I really like my Big Shot Express. It's the electric version. I have tried a friend's Cuttlebug, but dh suggested the electric version initially to help me avoid fatigue. The MonSter is so unpredictable, that I always try to save energy in small amounts to ensure a positive balance in reserve.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Leaf Gazer

Don,
I had a programable Sizzix cutter (don't remember the model) but found it a bit fussy trying to use the adhesive to hold the paper in place. A friend is using it now for her scrapbooks. I will definitely do more research, but it's good to get opinions from regular users.

Renee,
I understand you not wanting to waste energy cranking. Every little bit helps. I will probably go with electric and one with a decent sized bed.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Lady K., I think you were referring to a Sizzix Eclipse. They didn't work very well.
The Sizzix I refer to are crank machines. They come in a regular size 6" wide and a larger size 12".
My Vagabond is an electric crank type machine. Push a button instead of turning a crank.
There are the electronic die cut machines that now work much better than the Eclipse. I personally find they are a lot of fussy work to set up and maintain, but a lot of people own and use them and really like them.
It is really difficult to tell someone what machine they should buy.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Leaf Gazer

Yes, everyone has their preferences. (I'm a Mac user and no one can talk me into using Windows ever again. ) That being said, I do like the idea of the 12" machine. It's good to know that Sizzix makes one, so I appreciate your input, Don.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 PM

Not sure if it helps, but I have a cuttlebug and big shot (manual version). I tend to use my cuttlebug more due to portability (I can just bring everything into the living room if I want to work there, then store it away pretty easily). The big shot is probably more versatile though as long as you have a dedicated spot for it.

p.s. I've never used the electric version, but they look cool

Last edited by chococat; 09-04-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM

I'm a fan of the cuttlebug, disadvantage if that it only cuts up to 6" wide, which is not a problem for me as I have no reason to cut anything bigger, advantage is that it is portable and super easy to use and most dies work with it.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Leaf Gazer

I do have a dedicated space for my craft stuff, so portability isn't too much of an issue. In fact, I spent this afternoon moving furniture to accomodate my favorite stamp cabinet built by my late husband. He modeled it on a sewing cabinet with two deep drawers in the top section and 5 large shallow drawers in the bottom section.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Leaf Gazer

I just ordered a Vagabond 2 after watching a demo by Tim Holtz. It looks like it'll be good to use for both dies and embossing. Does anyone have a good source for embossing patterns? I used one in a class once but have forgotten who made it.