Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
RSMaker

Smile Background using Glossy Card & Chalk Ink

Well.... as they say: learn something new everyday. Maybe everybody else already knows this, but I just discovered it.....

I did DTP using ColorBox Chalk ink in Aquamarine on one and a blue on another. I was trying for an "ocean-like" backdrop for one of my new Tall Ship stamps.

I just kept stamping all over glossy white card stock with the ink pad. Since chalk ink is quite juicy, it was wet for a long time. Well.. I left it to dry, and now it's been a week. It still was leaving chalk on my fingers when I touched it. So, I thought: try buffing it with a spent paper towel. Amazing! The dull dry chalk part rubbed right off onto the paper towel, leaving the gorgeous deep aquamarine and blue inks colorizing the gloss, and it is glossy again. Very cool look. Depending on the juice and the strokes, most of the sections looks like a form of marble.

Now, it should be able to take a deeper color dye ink or VersaFine as an overprint.

Neat!!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Inky the Muse

Cool!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:36 AM

Wow, sounds beautiful!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
StamPoor

That sounds like something I want to try. I have lots of glossy cardstock.

Ingrid
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 AM
TimeforT

showing my ignorance here, but who makes glossy cardstock?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 AM
stampin stacy

Marco's is who I bought mine from at a convention. FYI photo paper is not the same thing and reacts differently to many techniques.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
StamPoor

Stacy, thanks for mentioning that glossy photo paper reacts differently than the cardstock. Actually, I have found there are differences among the glossy cardstocks, too, depending on the manufacturer. I have some glossy cardstock from ten years ago that used to give fantastic results back then with my inkjet printer and stamping inks, but apparently some of the new inks have properties that no longer work as well with this particular cardstock. Now I have to test things out on scraps first to see how they react.

Ingrid
Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Glossy Cardstock

Yes, white glossy cardstocks do react differently. I think that some have sort of a plastic finish, while others have a clay finish. (Yep, clay!) The clay ones seem to be absorbent, while the other seems non-porous.

I am not an expert, but I just thought I'd toss that in the info heap for any who'd like to follow up on it with a real Paper Person. I know there are some web sites out there that tell all about it. I've run into one, which is why I know that little bit. I'm sorry, but I don't remember where it was...

hugs!
Purnima
Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 PM

I use King James Cast Coat from Marco's and it works wonderfully. I did this technique last night and I LOVE how it came out! I'll post a pic in a day or so. The new PageSage DVD Rubber Paper Scissors has Judi Watanabe showing the technique with Alabaster ink stamped images (acting like a resist) first then covered with other chalk inks and buffed to shine. AWESOME!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Etha

Cool idea!
I don't think I have EVER gotten any pigment or chalk ink to dry on glossy. Frustrates the heck out of me I tried a brayer technique with a kaleidacolor pigment pad on glossy, after 3 hours it wiped right off leaving barely a trace LOL.