Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 PM
Been real & been fun

Default The Sizzix Magnetic Platform = F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-O-N!!!!!

A few months ago, I bought a used Big Shot and some accessories that a friend of mine had for sale. She told me she had some problems with some of the accessories but that her demo wouldn't address the issues.

My friend doesn't have a computer, whereas I do and I do a LOT of research with it. I was fairly certain that I could come up with answers without going thru a demo.

I've been enormously happy with my purchase except for a few items. One of those items is the Sizzix Magnetic Platform.

The problem with the magnetic platform is that it has magnet embedded every so often. If you are trying to make a frame of sorts and the dies being used doesn't fit exactly so onto those spaced magnets, the dies will readjust themselves. How frustrating is that?!! When you look at the magnetic flatform, at the top it has in big print: Magnetic Platform. But upon looking down a bit, it states 'magnetized platform'. So, which is it? Magnetic or magnetized? These words, folks, are not synonymous!

Back to using painters tape. WHAT A DRAG!!!! Sure glad I did't pay full price!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:15 AM

I recently bought the magnetic platform, but haven't used it yet. Glad to read this post from you, so I won't be surprised by any weird stuff like dies readjusting themselves. Glad I got a real good sale price.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Been real & been fun

Happy to hear that you got yours at a good sale price, Renee!

For further consideration:

My frustration is heightened because I was using it to make my 99yo grandmother's Christmas card. I had it all laid out in pencil on the back of an old envelope. Then I had to reconstruct pretty much my whole idea. Thankfully, I have the ornament punch by SU! otherwise I'd probably be stuck dead in the snow (yes, I changed it from water to snow in light of the season).

I will say, when it works it works very well. But when it doesn't and you're already in a rush (such as I am), it's probably best to use something else such as a hand punch.

In addition to my previous post, I even went so much as to try an old refrigerator magnet that was originally sent to us in the mail. Nada. It wasn't strong enough to hold the die with the clear plate in between. I ended up demolishing the magnet by layering it on top of the clear plate. Thank goodness the magnet had no importance!

My next idea is to draw a grid on top of the magnetized plate so that I know exactly where those booger of magnets are placed. Another thought I had is to draw a circle around each of those boogerly magnets for the same idea as drawing the grid. A black sharpie should do the trick. Or so I would think... Oh, the possibilities of it all!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:22 PM

I have a mag platform and I don't have a problem.
Here is a stray wild thought, if you leave the dies on the platform, or store them on a magnetized sheet, they can become somewhat magnetized. Magnetized items have a polarity, which then can present problems.
I store mine in chipboard envies I make.
Another hint is to use a clear dedicated plate for your mag work. The old scarred up ones don't work so well.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Been real & been fun

Don - you make a valid point about the dies becoming magnetized. I'll have to check in to that. If they have, is there any way to reverse the magnetization?

I did try brand new plates and the dies still shifted which causes me to believe that my dies may have become magnetized.

I would love to see pics of how you keep your dies, Don.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM

I just fold up a piece of cardstock into an envelope and store it in a drawer. If there are multiple pieces, I just put them all in the same envie.

You can check if they are magnetized by putting them on a piece of metal. The only ways I know of are a hammer or heat.

The other problem you may have is, the Magnetic Platform was mishandled by the previous owner at some point and got partially demagnetized somehow.

A note here about Sizzix parts, you can use a discount coupon at Mike's, but not Jo's, for all your die-cut items, including the machines.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Been real & been fun

I did check one on a piece of metal and it didn't stay put. Which leads me to believe mine aren't magnetized.

I hardly ever venture into JoAnn's unless I want to get a headache because there's typically no one to help or they never have what I'm looking for. They are just too big for their britches, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:55 PM

I remember Tim Holtz saying something that was a problem with small die pieces on magnate plate and just use tape on those.
It was in one of those CHA demo videos.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 PM

I almost clicked the 'buy' button for the Magnetic Platform....I've debated it for a while now. After reading your posts and giving it more thought, think I am sticking with the tape method.

My main consideration before was where do I put the thing when I am not using it.

I was just accepted into the group, yay! And 'hello' to each of you!

Melissa
Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 PM

Melissa, AQ's mag platform is used. Before you buy on line check out Mike's, with a coupon price should be between $20 & $25. Mine works just fine.