Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Been real & been fun

Default Japanese Hole Punch or Eyelet Setter?

For years I've used an eyelet setter that was put out by Making Memories. But today, not one of the three hole punches will cut through my cardstock. Go figure, I'm at the tail end of one of my projects! My husband went so much as to try to sharpen one of the hole punch attachments, but to no avail.

So, my question is can a Japanese hole punch perform the same function as an eyelet setter? What are the differences between the two? I really want something that can punch a small hole anywhere which is why the Crop o dile isn't an option for me.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 AM

I have the Japanese hole punch and it's one of my favorite tools. It does cut through heavyweight chipboard really well, but I haven't tried thin metal. You definitely need to make sure you have a self-healing mat or something you don't mind having holes underneath to protect your work surface. The first time I used this, I didn't and ended up cutting through the tablecloth It does not set eyelets, but the tips are interchangeable (other tips may be sold separately) if you need different sized holes.

The original version is a bit pricey, but I feel totally worth it. The thing with some of the cheaper ones is that it comes with multiple tip sizes (on amazon.com).

I purchased the drill alone from bonnie's best art tools years ago and it still works well. It looks like she sells it by the set only now: http://www.bonniesbest.com/bookdrill.htm

There's also this screw hole punch from docrafts that has a space in the handle to hole extra tips, which is really convenient: http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Hole-Pun...rew+hole+punch .

Last edited by chococat; 10-16-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM

I did purchase the docrafts one to try and also to be the one I bring out if I craft elsewhere and I won't be as upset if I lose it somehow. I just got it yesterday, so I can't speak to how good it is yet. I did test it on the plastic covering and it did cut through two layers without too much effort.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Been real & been fun

Cat, I just ordered the Japanese hole punch from Bonnie's Best. Looking very forward to getting it and using it! I've some crafts already in mind.

I looked on Amazon and wasn't impressed. As well, I looked locally and found nothing.

Now, to find the eyelet setter. I'm going to go with one of those fancy smancy ones...
Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM

Great I hope you enjoy it. It is truly in my top 5 for favorite tools (more like top 3).

Good luck with finding the eyelet setter! I don't set too many eyelets these days, but the simplest and easiest one I have is the hammer and setter set. Pretty loud, but doesn't require an engineering degree to figure out...lol ;p
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Been real & been fun

Since I spent a goodly amount of money on the Japanese screw punch ($83.76 after tax, license & emissions ), I've decided to retain my hammer & setter. A person can buy the Japanese screw punch piecemail for the most part, but I decided to go with the full meal deal. I did look at the one by Martha Stewart, but I really wanted the one with the wood handle. The one from Bonnie's Best comes with seven bits and a case. At least it was listed on the website with a case but not on my receipt. Ah, I'll figure it out one way or the other!

I want to do more eyelet setting so that I can make more more of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SobEUxAdI7U

Until that video, I was under the impression that the hole in the body of the envelope has to be made after the envelope was glued together. Wow! What a relief when I found out that wasn't at all the case! Now I look for ways to put string enclosures on many of my craft projects! Of course, I'll have to wait for my Japanese hole punch to arrive...
Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM

Neat. I've actually handmade cd-holders with that type of closure, though it's been years
Old 10-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Been real & been fun

Remember interoffice envelopes? I loved those! The little string closures have had me hooked for years. CD holders sound interesting. Did they hold just a single CD or did you make them so they would hold more?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueen View Post
Remember interoffice envelopes? I loved those! The little string closures have had me hooked for years. CD holders sound interesting. Did they hold just a single CD or did you make them so they would hold more?
We still use those...lol

I made them for a swap years and years ago...I just created my own template that could hold 1 or 2 cds or other thin stuff. You could definitely use the closure on other items. I used floss (the one for cross-stitch), since it was before baker's twine became a thing...lol. I don't think I had the Japanese drill yet, but I did use the hammer/setter to add the eyelets. Pretty much the same concept as in the video, except I attached the floss by tying it around the top eyelet first, then setting it...not sure if that makes sense.

the sandwich was: eyelet, floss (knotted around eyelet), top flap - then set eyelet (this would hold the floss in place)

I would also add another piece of punched out cardstock to the backside of the eyelet to keep it from scratching whatever was placed inside.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Cookie Muncher

I still use my hammer and setter for eyelets. It always works fine.