Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:21 PM
bjames

Default shadow stamping

I have been searching for stamp pads to use for shadow stamping... I want muted, subtle colors. I have gone to Michaels and ACMoore. You would think they would have these! No they don't and nobody there knows anything about them! I thought that in the past I saw SeaShells ink pads there. They are muted colors, but are not there now! Can anybody recommend anything that can be located at these two major craft stores? ACMoore has chalk ink pads, but only in vibrant colors.I really do not prefer to buy online due to the added S&H costs. The supplies are expensive enough. Can I make my own shadow ink pads? Anybody know a recipe? I have all kinds of acrylic and watercolor paints.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:01 PM
TimeforT

Hi bjames...for shadow stampping I use the whispers inks from their ink caddy. Most of those colors DO NOT match the lid colors. From the caddy I know there are muted colors that will work. The investment might be more than you wanted to spend initially, but with a 40-50% off coupon it would be worth it! HTH
Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 PM
stampin stacy

Your are right about the larger chain craft stores not having much choice when comes to stamping. I would recommend you try a local stamp or scrapbook store if you don't want to order online, support the small business man when you can I say.

There is a large celebration/specials sale in the works for members of this site only, so if you can wait a couple more weeks it may be well worth the s & h charges.

In the mean time how about watercolor markers, do you have any softer colors in them? You could also try stamping off onto more than one piece of paper between inking. The first one will be bright but each one after gets lighter and more faded, best part is you get several background sheets in one sitting. I can usually get at least 3 stampings on one inking, four sometimes with a light spritz of water on the last one.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 AM

Talking

LOL, Stacy!

I answered BJames question on another board. Our posts were very similar.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Inky the Muse

I know JoAnn's around here carries some of the Tim Holtz Distress inks and some of those colors dry pretty light. J's also carries Versamagic chalk inks in 4 packs of Dewdrop mini size pads and some of the packs have pastels that might work for shadow stamping. Alas they don't carry the ink refills for either line so you may have to go online for those when the time comes.

I agree with Stacy!!! Do a search for stamp &/or scrap boutiques in your area! They may offer a better quality selection of images & inks than the big commercial stores that usually only carry the larger stamp companies.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:46 PM
stampin stacy

Quote:
I answered BJames question on another board. Our posts were very similar
What can I say, great mind do thinks alike,lol
Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
hewitt_hulse

Definitely, I use Whispers available in a caddy of about 36 colors (?) at JoAnn's. Seaside Inks are nice if you can find them - I use them as backgrounds a lot with Stampscapes.

HTH!
Hewitt
Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 PM
stampin stacy

I also got the Whisper ink caddy with 32 colors with a discount coupon. At 40% - 50% off divided by 32, the per pad price is actually pretty cheap. Plus you get a caddy to store them in, a set of alphabet stamps and an small acrylic handle.

Keep in mind too that if you want something and don't see it at your local small stamp store be sure to ask them, they may be willing to order it for you, mine does.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Molly

Default Pale inkpads

Have you tried Ebay? they had a lot of inkpads last time i checked a couple weeks ago.

Chris
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Shadow Stamping

Ranger has a line of coordinating inks in Earthtones, Brights and Lights. The Lights are great for Shadow Stamping. You can see them here:
http://www.rangerink.com/products/pr...adirondack.htm

hugs!
Purnima