Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 PM
UpsideDown

Default Depressing? Or new opportunities?

Some in my opinion musings.

A bunch of us are lamenting the end of the scrapbooking boom. Trendy is another word for temporary. It was handmade earrings for awhile. At one point is was glass etching. Tie dye anyone? Remember Martha Stewart? Please don't take offense but there is a sheep thing that goes on with the crafts world.

Scrapbooking is different because it is a generations thing. Your grandkids will go through those albums, and maybe even their grandkids. That is a super super cool craft. Creative and rewarding. Everyone can related to family photos.

Other craft projects don't have the same oomph. Cards are cool for a few weeks on the counter or fridge. A bookmark works unless you've got Kindle. Decorations can be wildly creative, even easy, but it's less personal. I'm not saying that the post scrapbooking art is unimportant and unrewarding, it's just different and less trendy because your friends aren't doing exactly what you're doing.

The creative impulse does not die, though. Card making is popular along with some paper crafts. Handmade is more valuable then it once was. Rubber stamps will adjust… I'm totally guessing but I don't think stamp sales will crash as badly as last time. Those scrapbook companies who added clear stamps will go away. But it's not all doom and gloom. If we stay creative and keep our art out there, others will see all the wonderful things rubber stamps can do.

Of course I survived that last rubber stamp crunch with most of my collection intact (some of it was just not my thing any more). I still remember a San Jose stamp convention where people waited in line for hours and had hundreds of vendors. Early 1990s. Crazy. Lots of businesses died. But stamps came back without being so stupid trendy.

Stamps do something very well -- produce a high quality (repeatable) image without having to draw it yourself. There's always a place for that. Always. Permanent inks have guaranteed that.

Scrapbooking was fun. I did a bunch of albums. But they got tedious, boring, even with all the toys. I make travel journals now that might be in a formal album or might be a pile of tags with Polaroids attached. I used my rubber stamps in all of them. And I do keep a visual journal of collage and stamp-happiness.

Just a bunch of thought oozed out through the ends of my fingers and onto the keyboard. I don't feel particularly upset about the end of the scrapbooking craze. I bought a black sheep rubber stamp recently since I follow the trends but stay true to myself and my art: Rubber Hedgehog -- shifty eyes, super cool. Stamps great in black as well as in neon colors.

I do feel very badly for the business owners who put so much of their soul into companies that will fail. Scrapbooking was never, ever, going to be a multi-generational business. The finished albums will be. But not the blood, sweat, and tears of making a business. Some of them will sell and take a long vacation. Others will close-up shop and pick-up the pieces. Ouch. Very painful. But each one of them have a legacy sitting in albums all over the world. And that's pretty damn cool.

My rubber stamps are going into the retirement home with me (assuming I can still afford one). I have no doubt I’ll bring out a few drawers of stamps with ink pads and some card stock for the other old ladies who all says “I can’t make art.” I’m subversive that way.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:07 AM
Been real & been fun

When I first started stamping in the mid '90s, there wasn't as much available as what there is today, even with the downturn of stamping and all its supplies. Then Stampin' Up! came along and it breathed a breath of fresh air. Then they got more into scrapping and less into stamping. Creative Memories became the rage.

I never got into scrapping because my pages never looked as good as anyone else's even though I went to more than one crop-till-you-drop.

Even with all the B&M closures and the magazines going away, there's still so many more things available now than ever before. Case in point: I just ordered some stamps from a company I had never heard of before during the Virtual Fall Convention called Rubber Plantation based out of Hawaii.

There are many good companies out there and there are still the scrapbook and stamping expos. Let's not give up hope. If we do, then we've lost all the years that were won to this point. Keep in mind that there are companies out there that hear of a company closing and purchase their stock. Let's champion those companies as well as the new ones. Never give up, never surrender!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 AM

Two things have been constant for me over the years...books and stamps. I may get tempted by other crafts (polymer clay and such), but they only keep my interest for so long before I go back to stamps. For me, it's not so much the type of business, but the fact that they are closing that makes me sad. It's super hard work to start and keep a business going and I applaud them for that. Times change, styles change...new people come along to give us a different perspective and rejuvenate our muses I look forward to seeing what comes next...
Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Been real & been fun

This was on my FB page today: https://secure.getscrapbookingkit.com/2/index8.php
Old 11-22-2014, 03:32 PM
UpsideDown

Rubber stamps are kind of funny in one way… people either go "Wow That's Cool!" or "What Do You Do With It Really?" My sister is in the "really" camp. For her it's a sheep… so what. I see them stacked in a teetering column, frolicking across the page, stacked in a stamped mason jar. They might be black, white, neon, or clear embossed as ghosts. I think I love handing a rubber stamp to a reluctant creative type (any age) with a box of colored pencils most of all. That feeling of "I did that!" is priceless. Then it becomes a bookmark, card, magnet, pin or gift tag, and they've done more then "just" color. That's so cool!

I put my stamps away for a number of years because I was moving around and had no room. But I was never going to give them away. Rubber stamps suit me even more now. Having a quick image or background is essential with my current smash-and-grab art making. I also love the repeated image thing like Warhol's soup cans. Stamp images are a symbol library for me. I love that they're the same each time every time. I could learn to draw again, of course. But with a rubber stamp I don't have to.

We're the die hards. Some people will keep scrapbooking. Some of us will keep supporting stamp stores. And confusing friends and family who roll their eyes and say "really?"
Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 AM

I do very little scrapbkkg, mainly for my two grandchildren who like to come over and look at pictures of themselves. thats enough joy for me.

Mostly cards and ATCs are my thing, I've done some favors for the kids at school.

The way I look at it is, stamping is cheaper than a psychiatrist, I can get lost in ideas and the woes of the world for hrs at a tme.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM

I scrapbook but not like they do today. Nothing fancy just pictures and mainly stickers, cause the kids love stickers. Background paper, and half the time I don't even mat them.
I love to do cards and ATC s.
I tried journaling, not my thing.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Smile

Over the years I've done ceramics, crocheting, embroidery, macramé, knitting, and counted cross-stitch. Then MS hit, so any fine-motor skills stuff gradually disappeared. By that time, I'd been to my first SU party, and loved stamping. I never could draw, so using a stamp is great for me. Not exactly sure which I enjoy most - creating with the stamps or just owning them! Don't you just love when you give a card, and somebody says "I'll bet you save a lot of money on cards."
Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Cookie Muncher

I have been stamping for over 40 years, and I never tire of it. My latest thing is making funny theme calendars for my Red Hatters and my gaming friends. The whole creative process keeps me engaged and sharing the finished product gives me pleasure.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
I have been stamping for over 40 years, and I never tire of it. My latest thing is making funny theme calendars for my Red Hatters and my gaming friends. The whole creative process keeps me engaged and sharing the finished product gives me pleasure.
what are ATC's?