Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM
stampin stacy

Default Howdy and do you art journal

Howdy Ya'll!!

Thought I'd come by and say hey to my fav forum and see who is hanging out and what everyone has been up to!

I've been trying my hand at art journaling the past few months and was wondering it anyone else in doing the same. Would love to chat about it if anyone else is interested. Of course I started doing it right as summer started so have not done as much as I'd hoped but still managing to get a page done here and there.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

I haven't done any, just wanted to say it was nice to hear from you.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM

I follow a gal who used to scrapbook and now is art journaling. And I tried doing it for several months. It is not for me.
Art for the sake of art isn't me. I want a product to give away and share. I have been making gifts forever for family and friends.
I was visiting with a lady and she wanted to see some of my work, I laughted cause I give it all away. I said we would have to go visit my daughter cause she saves my cards, I don't.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Hi Stacy, glad to see you popping in here. I am pinning ideas for an art journal but am mostly doing altered book classes so when I finally get to the journals, I will have techniques to play with. I do know I am having a fun time getting messy in class.
~C8>
Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 AM
stampin stacy

Thanks for the welcome back Elayne and everyone else

Yankee, I'm in a opposite situation sort of, I have tons of bits I've made while playing around with new supplies or just experimenting, I also accumulated a lot while I was in a creative slump a couple of years ago. So I've really enjoyed having an excuse to use them. I'm hoping to get the left overs pile to manageable size finally, lol.

Alsmouse, I know what you mean about having fun getting messy. I've done some mono printing on a piece of acrylic and it was lots of fun. Summer is not the best time for mono printing though because it is sooo HOT and dry with the A/C and ceiling fans running constantly but come fall look out... it's gonna be get messy time again.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:46 PM
UpsideDown

Art journals came out of several different directions for me. First I was taught to keep a "sketchbook" with anything and everything in it. Second the usual written diary style journal stopped working for me but the art of "talking" did not. Rubber stamps are instant repeatable symbolic images which are perfect for my journaling style.

[Begin rant] I know a lot of art journalers don't use them in favor of paint and stencils and the latest trends. Art journals can hold anything. Leonardo DaVinci kept art journals, biologists keep art journals, Japanese court ladies kept pillow book journals, the 1000 journals project was anything but perfect pages. There are no rules. It’s a quiet rant for me. I hate that people get turned off from making an art journal because they think it can only be done right-handed with a set of 234 color paints after specially sanctioned classes. [End rant]

I love art journaling. I’m a big evangelist for rubber stamps because they are so immediate. The moment you smack one on the page you’ve said something. No other technique produces an image so fast and so well. Not everyone can draw or paint. Not everyone has the time to do either.

Stamps also take a lot of fear out of the blank page, and when the journal is closed it becomes private. I’d rather beginners did this then make xerox copies of the well paid personalities.

Anyway, I have lots to say on this subject. I’m glad to meet others who put stamps to page in journals. It’s a very important part of my art practice.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM
stampin stacy

Try as I might, most of my pages end up with a stamp in them. I am using other materials too but stamping is a part of me and it will always be a part of any creative expression of mine.

I saw a video of youtube that talked about the non-rules of art journaling and started a thread at another site with the same caption. Pretty much all of the non-rules people came up with basically said there are no rules in journaling. That is what I love about the concept, "anything goes". I'm not making a journal for others, this time it's for me. I can be as much of a rebel as I want! If something doesn't turn out that's okay, it's about the journey not the results.

So I say go for it and make it your own!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM

Well said Ups & Stacy. I believe that an art journal is like underwear, personal. I take the altered book classes to learn technique, get inspiration & chat with like minded people. In class, we use stamps with the media to extend the stamps range, most completed pages have rubber touching them in some manner. The teacher is a die-hard rubber fan & so are the students. I believe that most of us would die with a stamp in their hand......
I do admit to pinning art journal pages, however not to make 'xerox copies' of someone's work but for the technique or image inspiration. I am not a sheep to the 'sheperds' of the industry. I am also incredibly frugal when it comes to buying the "latest & greatest". I will study the new item & see if there is a less expensive way to go. My best example is a Jewelers Double Hole Punch (http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BDF56.html). The TH Drill Punch was listed for $17.99. I got a similar version of it for $4.95, leaving me over $13 to put toward other items.

Last edited by alsmouse; 07-31-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Marie

Stacy it is good to see you and Alsmouse back. I have also been playing around with altered books and art journals. My daughter and I took some altered book classes and loved them and then moved into art journals. Took some classes for that too and got into mixed media. It's fun learning new techniques and making art just for the fun of it. We now belong to a group that meets once a month. Love that the journals are just for me!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM
stampin stacy

So that's where all the RSC'ers have been hiding, learning to do mixed media and art journaling!

It's funny how things long out of style are now "in" again because of MM & AJ. I had to find my stencils underneath other long forgotten items and dust them off.

What kind of paper/book are you using for your art journals? I decided to do loose pages that will eventually get bound together into a book. I just drop a completed page into a file folder dedicated to finished pages, then I'll dust off the hardly used BIA to make my book when I have enough. Of course I have yet to decide how many pages is enough, lol.