Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials Learn new stamping techniques and projects. Ask how stamping techniques are done here.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
shirlb19

Default Embossing Buddy?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what are any of your thoughts on the need of buying an embossing buddy or have any of you found a cheaper and or better way? I just bought a heat gun and an embossing stamp pad (marked down Martha Stewart brand at Michaels) and some embossing powder as well......

I have been so bad at buying all sorts of supplies and not making any cards!!

Although I have taken some classes so that counts I hope, lol.......And I did actually make a couple yesterday! I need to play more and not worry that it has to be perfect.

Thanks,
Shirley
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Spideycindy

Location: I reside in Nice, California. Very rural but beautiful.

Anti Static items like embossing buddies are helpful if you have alot of static electricity in your atmosphere....The powder can and often will stick in places you do not want it to. The Embossing buddy helps stop this by rubbing it on the card before you stamp and add embossing powder. I fine brush will help lift off stray bits but if you have alot of stray powder the embossing buddy helps. Some swear by rubbing anti cling dryer sheets over the cardstock first, others make their own embossing buddy by using a knit sock and tossing in some cornstarch or talc powder. It all depends on what you want to use. I have a anti static bag and use it on occasion. The clear EP is a bit more forgiving but if you used colored embossing powder it will tattle on you if stray gets suck in places you don't want it to be.
Hope this helps you a little!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
shirlb19

Smile

Thanks Cindy. I was able to use a small paint brush when I used the two way glue pen and glitter from SU and got it all off. I will try the dryer sheets to see if that helps before shelling out more cash, lol......Thanks for your waving smiley! Someone on here told me how to add the smiles, but I have tried what they said to do and still not working....... Oh, I see that it did, lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 PM

I have an embossing buddy, but I find I actually don't use it often. I don't like the powder it can leave behind, especially on darker cardstock. Dryer sheets work, brush works, but I also give the back of the cardstock a solid thump (not sure if that is exactly the word I want ) or two to get loose powder off. If I've inked the image well enough, the powder sticks where it is supposed to stick and falls back into the sandwich container (what I use to hold embossing powders). If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't buy one.

Debra
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
shirlb19

Smile

Thanks Debra. I think I will hold off buying one for now........I appreciate all your tips and techniques. It is neat to know what advice everyone has to give on stamping techniques.

Shirl
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Been real & been fun

I've understood that putting cornstarch in a clean nylon and dabbing it on the cardstock is supposed to work real well. I've not tried it myself, but I don't do much embossing either.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM
stampin stacy

I got one from Stamp La Jolla (only $5) several years ago and am still using the same one. Not only does it help with static electricity but helps keep ep and glitter from sticking to unwanted places due to finger prints and other smudges. I also use it on my on my tidy tray before use, glitter & ep slides right back into the bottle.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM
shirlb19

Thanks African Queen and Stacy for your replies........That is a great idea to rub it on your tray for the glitter. Now I think it would be a good idea to get one.........

Shirl
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Viva Las Vegastamps!

No matter what I did, there'd be specks of colored ep when I hit it with the heat gun so ultra high gloss clear embossing powder is the only one I use and specks don't show up.
http://vivalas.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 PM
stampin stacy

I think that has a little to do with where you (and I) live, because it is so hot fans are very necessary but sure do mess up EP and glitter projects.

One thing I have learned is to not be too stingy when using the pad. You have to pounce enough on for it to do the job.