Rubber Stamp Chat

Go Back   Rubber Stamp Chat > Studio > Stamp Talk

Stamp Talk Discuss everything rubber stamp and paper crafts related.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM

I love my wood mounted stamps. I have had nothing but problems with the clear stamps. I have found that part of the problem of them getting is a reaction to the ink I used! They get sticky or gummy. I have a lot of cling mounted rubber stamps and didn't like them at first. I got more plastic blocks and discovered that was what I didn't like. Some of the blocks are hard for me to handle. I like the small thin plastic blocks, and now love my cling mounted as much as the wood. I have them in a file box by co. And a picture book of all my stamps saying ( wood or unmounted & co.) I love my book, I made it to take to stamp shows. So I wouldn't buy something I already had, you can't return easily at a show.
Now I take it with me when I shop. I have pages with ink colors and pages punched so I know what punches I have, and list of stenciles.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 PM
UpsideDown

I am so in awe of people with stamp indexes. I'm trying.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 PM
UpsideDown

Patience is a virtue… it's also cause for celebration sometimes! I bought one of Tim Holtz clear stamp sets because one of the images was mine all mine. It got ugly really fast. It's a flock of crows flying off into the distance. I was finally ready to buy the set again and donate the rest of the set when I found the image I wanted as a wood mounted stamp!

Question: Do you have early clear stamps? How are they holding up? Are you a heavy user? I'm wondering if there is a long term problem with clear stamps. Many stamp buyers are trend buyers. But I'm one of the ones who will be using a stamp for years. I don't like the idea of disposable stamps.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up Rubber, rubber, rubber

Cling or clear: I've tried both, I come back to rubber time and again for the (usually) better quality die and longer life. Every once in a while price lures me to buy clear and I often regret it.

Wood or cling? Well, I love the feel of the wood blocks in my hand, but I ran out of storage for wood mounted stamps long ago. I still squeeze one in here and there, but almost all of my most recent purchases have been of plain rubber dies that I mount and trim myself on cling foam.

This is the first time I've posted on RSC in a long while. Thanks for piquing my interest.

Debra
Old 08-09-2014, 11:07 PM

I love the photopolymer stamps from Elemental Doodles. They are great quality and the ink doesn't bead up on them like it does on other stamps. They are reasonably priced, too.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 PM
shazsilverwolf

There are definitely grades of quality for clear stamps. Photopolymer are the ones that will give the best prints, and last very well. I have photopolymers I've been using for 10 or so years and they are still fine. There are a lot of clear stamps that are not photopolymer, and generally, they feel jelly-like, squishy sort of stuff. I've had those go yellow and brittle. Generally, the cheaper the clear stamp, the poorer the quality will be. I like my red rubber too, and originally bought many wood mounted stamps.I also used to buy bare rubber and add the foam. Over recent years I've gone over to unmounteds, and am gradually removing the foam from all the stamps I bought years ago. Mainly because they take up so much less room. I've never found a problem with grey rubber- we have a company over here, Chocolate Baroque, all their stamps are grey rubber and the quality is amazing.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:52 PM

I have a mix of still mounted wood stamps that I don't want to unmount, unmounted red rubber that I purchased that way at stamp conventions, and clear stamps. Some of my earlier photopolymer stamps (Technique Tuesday-so good quality) have yellowed, but are still very usable.

I thought about unmounting my wood stamps but chickened out because they are so pretty on their wood. The ones that I mounted myself, those I unmounted and cut down my storage space by about 1/3.

Great discussion!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM

I like to buy unmounted red rubber because I can buy a lot of stamps at a reasonable price. I rarely use stamps more than a few times so the heavy and hard to store wood mount are awkward. I trim and mount the stamp on EZ cling that I buy at Crafters Companion.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Red face Different stamps for different needs

I love the good old fashioned wood mounted stamps too. But these days they are sometimes hard on my arthritic hands. I use the cling stamps or clear stamps with a stamp press or my Misti tool and it makes things a lot easier. I have also unmounted a lot of my favorite wood stamps and now use them this way. I use either cling cushion on them or just spread a little glue on the back and stick them that way. If you use regular low tack glue be sure to wash off both your stamp and your stamping tool or you could ruin both! You can also spread a thin layer of Aleen's tack it over and over on the back, let it dry overnight and they will stick for many applications. I use Tim Holtz sheet mounts to hold them when I'm not using them. It does save on storage to have them this way but nothing beats a lovely wood mounted stamp for overall great stamping to get all the little details perfectly.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Been real & been fun

I've changed my mind on rubber images. Should all go according to planned, I'm eliminating cling foam. Yep. Elimination.

Since my original posting on page 1, I've found a product called Tack n Peel. I have had some of my rubber images slide off of their cling foam. I store my images flat as I've had nothing but problems with storing my images in binders. I've already peeled away one set of alphabet stamps. I didn't care for them being mounted on wood because it was too difficult too see where I wanted to place them.

So it's off to Tack n Peel land to see if it's really true what the product is supposed to do. Here's hoping.

P.S. I don't do acrylic or polymer images mostly due to frustration of them tearing, getting discolored and falling off of binder pages.